• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

$15 tournament

I'd play it, but I'm not gonna say there shouldn't be a payout because I'd love to get a Champ disc...

But I'd definitely play! That'd be awesome!

We recently hosted a $15 tournament here in Fort Worth, Texas and 70 people showed up. We gave out trophies to the top three finishers, a CTP, ROF, and even served hamburgers for lunch. It was a huge success and we are looking at hosting another in March.

I think one of the biggest draws was the type of disc being given out. We gave out Elite Z Nukes to the intermediate players and Crystal Buzzzs to rec players. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have gone with all Crystal Buzzzs. If you go with Discraft, I would recommend doing the same.

Wasn't the Battle At the Briar only 15 bucks????? You either got a Chrystal Buzzz for the Am division or a Z nuke for the Int. devision. 1,2,3 place trophies were given out for each.

Count me in! Where in Wisconsin are you? My brother and I are thinking of doing something like this in the Milwaukee area this summer, perhaps with a T-shirt instead of a disc.

We recently hosted a $15 tournament here in Fort Worth, Texas and 70 people showed up. We gave out trophies to the top three finishers, a CTP, ROF, and even served hamburgers for lunch. It was a huge success and we are looking at hosting another in March.

I think one of the biggest draws was the type of disc being given out. We gave out Elite Z Nukes to the intermediate players and Crystal Buzzzs to rec players. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have gone with all Crystal Buzzzs. If you go with Discraft, I would recommend doing the same.

You guys should definitely do this again, but preferably not at Greenbriar... Everytime I've been to that course the wind was 20mph+, I think because a lack of trees

Most tourneys were $15 when I began playing. A 25-$30 was expensive and $50 was outrageous. Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!

I wish their were more tournaments like this pay a little more than the cost of a disc or shirt or whatever you get in a players pack and then trophies or whatever else for winners. Makes me feel like I'm not wasting a ton of money and getting nothing like I would be if i paid the $45 or $50 that most of the ones around here seem to cost with only the top 3 actually getting something out of it

Would you play a tourney that only cost $15, had a champ disc as the players pack, and was trophy only in the am divisions?

Sort of but some disc golf companies frown on giving out discs at Wholesale pricing. So basically you are giving out a $15 disc for $15 but then you have to pay for the trophies, PDGA sanctioning, insurance, and any other materials that you need to do the event. So really, you are relying on the wholesale to retail difference to make money. Even with that you would only be making a few $'s per player. Why not just charge $5-8 with no players pack and just trophies or sanctioning. Wouldnt you get just as many players for the lower cost?

Unless your goal is to maybe break even... I would say $20 or a DX/Pro disc.

But back to your question. Yes I would "PLAY" in this type of event, but I would never run an event like this. My goal really would be to make enough money to accomplish/pay for a capital improvement, tee-signs, concrete, new baskets/sleeves, club advertising. There just isn't much profit margin in a $15 entry with a $15 giveaway + expenses.

Of course if you said hey I want to run an event $5 entry. Give out a Star plastic disc and trophies top top 3 in each division. Everyone would say they would go to it. You have to have a goal and then work all the numbers back to meet that goal. Its all about what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to buy 6 more baskets...a $15 entry with a Champ Plastic Disc Players Pack isnt going to get you there. Plus, players packs... yuck... just a reminder to me of the "everyone" gets a ribbon American culture that we are experiencing now. Get better and play better to win plastic... or sandbag in a lower division.

There's a great event in CT called the ACT (Amateur Challenge Tournament) each year. It's ams only, costs $15 and normally you get a DX and Star disc. You also get some other Innova swag like mini, pencil, sticker, maybe a sharpie. I think the top three in each division are the only ones to get trophy discs. It's a superb event on a great course (Wickham Park). I didn't play it last year and I know they expanded to two 1-day events since it sells out in just hours so in case you did play and my info's out of date just know that I'm saying there is a $15 tournament out there.

http://www.actdg.com/

I have yet to thoroughly crunch the numbers for the one and done tourney that I'm doing in April, but I'd really like to do it for $15 and I'm hoping to do a CryZtal or Champ disc for the player packs and T shirts for people that pre-reg before a certain deadline.

My question is this: On the PDGA sanctioning agreement, you have to initial the box that indicates you "Agree to pay a minimum of 40% of the Pro field and a minimum of 45% of the Am field as per the pay tables." How does one agree to this if there isn't a payout?

That's what I'm wondering. I think doing something like this would be a lot of fun, but I would prefer to make it a PDGA event so everyone can be playing for ratings as well. Is that possible or would it have to be a non-sanctioned tournament?

No payouts are required at PDGA events. But if you have them, then those payout percentages are recommmended. Just let players know ahead of time that no payouts is the plan.

No payouts are required at PDGA events. But if you have them, then those payout percentages are recommmended. Just let players know ahead of time that no payouts is the plan.

How does the 85% c-tier, 100% b-tier thing work exactly? These numbers confuse me.

[/QUOTE]
Unless your goal is to maybe break even... I would say $20 or a DX/Pro disc.

But back to your question. Yes I would "PLAY" in this type of event, but I would never run an event like this. My goal really would be to make enough money to accomplish/pay for a capital improvement, tee-signs, concrete, new baskets/sleeves, club advertising. There just isn't much profit margin in a $15 entry with a $15 giveaway + expenses.[/QUOTE]

My goal is(was) to run a tournament, not a fund raiser. When I ran the numbers(I'm not sure if I used good ones or not) If I had good turnout I would make a small amount of money and if I had poor turnout I would lose money.

Again, if anyone(especially anyone who has run PDGA events) would like to look at my spreadsheet and tell me what to improve I would really appreciate it.

How does the 85% c-tier, 100% b-tier thing work exactly? These numbers confuse me.
If the total entry fees paid in for all pro divisions at a C-tier is $1000 then payouts should total at least $850 (85%) or at least $1000 (100%) in a B-tier. That percentage is different from the percentage of pros to be paid out which is at least 40% of the field. If that was 30 players then at least 12 should get paid. At least 45% of the Am fields should get paid which is almost half of the players.

Latest posts