• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How can local tournaments be better?

Jwalker92

Bogey Member
How can your local tournaments be better? What can tournament directors do for amateur and professional division to make local C-Tier events better?

It seems people in my region have transitioned from running good tournaments, to trying to sell frisbees. They aren't doing any of the back-end work to make the event better.

Have you noticed this locally? What can the TD do to make the event a better quality? What can be done to make sure you have a better experience?

Flags and paint on the OB Lines?
Florescent markers at C1 edge?
Paper caddy books for C-Tiers?
In person, or video players meeting?
On-site lunch options?
Better trophies?

I want to run higher quality events in my area and worry less about moving product.

Clearly defined ob and layout.

Bag or tip baskets not in play. Block or mark teepads not in use.

2 rounds optimally, 4 for 2 day events, 1 round events are a bummer. Host 2 tournaments same day if the recent rules mess with formatting.

If drop zones are used then flagged painted marked clearly.

C1 is irrelevant it only bothers cheating step putters so leave it unmarked.

Caddy books can just be a digital link.

Paper scorecards.

In person players meeting to immediately address inevitable questions and to alert players of any last minute changes.

Shotgun starts only.

Old guys start closer to player meeting point. Mpo after old guys. Young guys and ma345 start way in the back holes.

Bonus but not needed: coolers with water bottles, bug spray, snacks, hand warmers if it's cold, these can be sold instead of given out some places have locals that donate it all depends just being available is good.

On the TD end things like a first aid kit fire extinguisher eye wash flush bottles and such aren't bad to have around.

If the parking is muddy a pull chain couple eye bolts in m14 and 1/2-20 thread and someone with 4wd.

I personally see a push to add a couple of holes to a known course to make it different. This never seems to work well. Alternate pin locations are great, but skip the made-up extra holes.

I personally see a push to add a couple of holes to a known course to make it different. This never seems to work well. Alternate pin locations are great, but skip the made-up extra holes.
I agree. Unless a hole needs to be added to accommodate more players, the course should be left as-is.

Bag or tip baskets not in play. Block or mark teepads not in use.

If drop zones are used then flagged painted marked clearly.

Old guys start closer to player meeting point. Mpo after old guys. Young guys and ma345 start way in the back holes.
I second the above. I've played courses where the TD has said....when there are more than one basket....play to the longest one. Well, sometimes the longest one isn't totally obvious from the tee pad. I've also seen where there are two tee pads and some players used one and some used the other.

Drop zones definitely need to be clearly marked....too many times my card and I have struggled to see where the drop zone is as the paint has worn off from the grass.

I'm 64, please don't make me walk further than the 20somethings to get to my starting hole.

Speed up pace of play by allowing less players. I wonder how much quicker rounds would go if each card had 3 players.
The glacial pace of play is why I stopped playing tournaments.

Speed up pace of play by allowing less players. I wonder how much quicker rounds would go if each card had 3 players.
The glacial pace of play is why I stopped playing tournaments.
I feel like that's up to the players and most won't even have the balls to casually attempt to address slow pace.

I have played with people who were firm and said hey we need to speed it up on the next tee so as not to single anyone out and that seemed to work without having to address anyone specifically.

I have played 3somes that were slower than 5 somes.

It's always a mixed bag but the common denominator is the slowest guy is the guy with the most discs everytime. The guy that parks his cart 40 feet from his lie, walks up to his lie, marks his disc, stares into oblivion questioning the universe, walks back to the cart, picks 3 discs, walks up to his lie, contemplates the universe again then shanks it 100 feet up the fairway.

Would probably speed up pace of play if there was a 12 disc limit for all divisions below ma1.

Can we end the trend of expecting $100 worth of merchandize in your players pack at a $20 entry fee event thing AMS have these days for C-Tiers?
It seems the local tournaments around here have gone away from player packs and toward merchandise got am's. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. It causes people to play down a division to win more "funny money."

An option I've been thinking about is cheap, trophy only am divisions with players pack and no merchandise payout.

No ghost cards.

Less time for lunch break (whether that's including lunch, or simply telling players they need to bring their own).

Porta Potties on course (especially if women are playing).

Don't take an hour for awards.
So your major concern is tournaments taking too long? I agree lunches could be a little shorter, but I'm not sure that works for everyone. Port-o-potties are only feasible if there is a "profit" for the TD, otherwise it would have to come out of pocket.

As always, include free lunch instead of a players pack. Shared lunch builds camaraderie, takes less time, doesn't sit in your garage because it's a dumb color/weight/stability/etc.

I know most TD won't have this on hand, but a epipen has come in handy more than a few times with people allergic to bee stings.

I would never assume a TD would have this on hand.
Not saying it's a bad idea for a TD to have an epipen on hand but... this seems like a real headache (not to mention expense) for the TD.

As a player, if I were allergic to bee stings, I'd make sure I carried my own EpiPen with me.

Sure, it'd be nice for the TD to have one, but I completely think this is on the individual player.

Last edited: