• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1st disc golf course in TX???

FRIZZLE TOSSLER

Birdie Member
Does anyone know when & where the 1st disc golf course in TX was erected? My guess would be Bartholomew Park in Austin. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I just did a quick search on this site and sure enough Bartholomew Park in Austin shows an established date of 1982... 1st one in the state... anyone else know of any other course (maybe extinct now) that was before 1982???

Edit: I didn't see any Fort Hood course on this site. Are we missing it or is it extinct or am I totally missing it????

Last edited:
I believe it's gone. Read a How To Play Disc Golf pamphlet that was written in the late 70's or early 80's and Fort Hood was the only Texas course listed.

Possibly Skyline Park in the Dalls area? I thought it was before Bart, but maybe not.

If you count marked tree courses, Waterloo Park in Austin has been around a long time.

I thought I heard something awhile back about Shawnee but I dont know

According to a thread on the PDGA boards from years ago (http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=15871):

"Bart is the oldest EXISTING course in Texas. The first was the Skyline course (the name was later changed to Lake Highlands), which was eventually moved to BB Owens. The first 9 holes at Skyline were donated by Wham-O, and the course hosted the World Junior Championships (I think) in around 1981."

The old timers round here talk about a course on the campus of UTA (uni tx at arlington) in the mid to late 70's. This is where most of them started playing.

i asked sammy the other day, and he said skyline went in in 1982. it got moved in 1995 because skyline park was multi-use and people were getting hit with discs, etc., etc. It was way way crowded, baseball fields, picnic tables, tennis courts, playground, rec ctr., walking trail, etc.

Eric B. Hill (R.I.P.) ran the weekend minis at skyline ever since I started flogging, and continued to run them when it moved to B.B.

They pulled the baskets from skyline and took them over. If I remember correctly, there was a slight delay and the baskets were in storage, it wasn't done in like 1 weekend or anything.

B.B. owens was not mowed or maintained on the whole back 9, so we had these paths where the weeds were knocked down, like a lane or channel to the basket. If you lost a disc in the weeds and found it later, it would be chewed by rats.

good times were had by all.

- saylor

I saw elsewhere on the net that as early as 1978 there were 9 baskets there at skyline,, which sorta fits the story with whammo donating the 1st 9 holes...

i asked sammy the other day, and he said skyline went in in 1982. it got moved in 1995 because skyline park was multi-use and people were getting hit with discs, etc., etc. It was way way crowded, baseball fields, picnic tables, tennis courts, playground, rec ctr., walking trail, etc.

Eric B. Hill (R.I.P.) ran the weekend minis at skyline ever since I started flogging, and continued to run them when it moved to B.B.

They pulled the baskets from skyline and took them over. If I remember correctly, there was a slight delay and the baskets were in storage, it wasn't done in like 1 weekend or anything.

B.B. owens was not mowed or maintained on the whole back 9, so we had these paths where the weeds were knocked down, like a lane or channel to the basket. If you lost a disc in the weeds and found it later, it would be chewed by rats.

good times were had by all.

- saylor

I liked the "Lake Highlands" course. I never knew it by the Skyline name.

skip told me about the old skyline course i think he also told me fritz was the second course in dfw

Skyline & UTA were a couple of the first courses I ever played. Anyone know whatever happened to the White Rock Lake course? There were also a couple others in that area of town (mid to late 80's into the 90's) I remember as well but am not recalling park/course names. I should remember because I used to play them a lot. None of these are listed on this site as extinct Dallas courses either, too bad.

Out of curiosity, what type of targets (basket or object) did the UTA course use and where was it located on campus?

flag pole hill / white rock lake only gets set up very rarely anymore - ive never played it only heard of it... and samuell farm . . .dirk or danny would know more about those.
i never played UTA, other side of town for me, so i dont know if they ever had 4x4 posts or not...Saylor

According to my neighbor, Fritz was set up in the early 80s and used to be 18 baskets. 9 on one side of Delaware creek and 9 on the other.

I started playing Fritz in 83 or 84...can't remember exactly. May have been 84. Never ever saw the 9 across the creek. That would have been cool.

I started playing Fritz in 83 or 84...can't remember exactly. May have been 84. Never ever saw the 9 across the creek. That would have been cool.

Fritz used to put up a back nine across the creek for tournaments once or twice a year back in the 90's until problems with the park department prevented it from continuing. It's too bad because the back nine had some really long throws and made it a really nice 18-holer. One hole (I think is was #16) was 700' or more from the south entrance all the way down to the petting zoo.

I never had to chance to play UTA or Flag Pole Hill, either. Thanks for the response saylor.

So I looked it up.

http://www.pdga.com/fathers-of-frisbee-at-fritz-park

PDGA: Fritz Park's disc golf course is the oldest existing course in Texas. Skyline Park, across from Lake Highlands High School in Dallas, put in the first disc golf course in 1982. Skyline's course was removed many years ago.

PDGA: In 2001 the park was temporarily closed for a major renovation of Delaware creek (which runs throughout the course). After the updates, the layout of the course was completely changed. Only a few of the original nine holes remained.

Maybe 18 was for tourney. Or maybe the 80s were a long time ago and he remembered wrong. I've done that about stuff from last week.

See that guy Kevin in the pic? He showed me the two finger forehand I (try to) use. Played 9 with him at Gateway. He never said he was famous.

Latest posts