• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1yr away from disc golf

xpsycotikx

Bogey Member
Hello all,

I'm currently a deployed soldier who before I left had a love for disc like we all do.. I shall be returning home in a couple months and I used to have a fairly decent drive. Avg 350-400, my question is what are some things I can do to get my arm used to that kind of movement again?

I'm afraid that when I get home I will want to throw that hard again and I think it will cause me to either be quite sore or actually hurt myself and that is the last thing I want.

What advice can you guys/gals give me?

Welcome home (soon)
I'm certainly not one of the resident experts, but maybe some towel drills?

That's a pretty good idea.. this last year disc has been like the last thing on my mind so most of what I used to know is gone. Like towel drills! Thanks for the idea!

Thanks for your service. I think the towel drill is a good call from Stevo. Like some people say, if you get really sore you're doing it wrong. That whip-like motion with smooth run up/loading and a really late acceleration is what's going to get your disc up to speed and distance. I'd say maybe play rounds with some mids or some understable plastic and really concentrate on smooth run up and release and really pop the disc out there w/ snap and your body should get used to everything pretty quickly.

Hello all,

I'm currently a deployed soldier who before I left had a love for disc like we all do.. I shall be returning home in a couple months and I used to have a fairly decent drive. Avg 350-400, my question is what are some things I can do to get my arm used to that kind of movement again?

I'm afraid that when I get home I will want to throw that hard again and I think it will cause me to either be quite sore or actually hurt myself and that is the last thing I want.

What advice can you guys/gals give me?

First of all, thank you for your service of our country. I genuinely appreciate it.

As for your question, I would say to take baby steps. Go to a field and just throw some around at 3/4 speed and build yourself up over time.

Welcome home and thanks for your service! Towel drill is the first thing I thought of, but you could also just find *something* to throw a little, just to practice form and stretch those muscles. Doesn't even have to be round, just something you can fling. Have a safe trip home!

Sounds good guys! I'm mostly stressing about this cause there is a tournament about a month after I get home and I want to play it and do decent at least.

Plan of action here...
Do some towel drills before arriving home
Upon getting home some field practice at low power (focus on form and not distance)
Plan some games with slower discs and focus on short game and consistent drives!

Also. Thank you all for the thanks of myself being in the service. I still feel like I'm just doing my job thought. lol

Last edited:
Technically Sauk Rapids, but I'm most likely moving in St. Cloud when I get home.

Before you start a round, especially right away when you get back and haven't been playing, make sure you warm up. Take a light jog, then stretch a little. Play catch with a buddy or throw short approaches and putts for a bit just to get your muscles moving before you go for big distance.

It seems like the general idea here is to take it slow!

Sounds like a simple and effective plan to me!

Thanks for all the advice guys! I can't wait to get home and start playing again! A year without disc golf is pretty painful to be honest.

No expert here but if i was to practice without discs i would....

Analize weight transfer when putting using a book (im a push putter)

Do the towell drill with focus on pulling close to the body

analize footwork

get a feel for grip timing and wrist movements using a heavy object (flashlight)

No expert here but if i was to practice without discs i would....

Analize weight transfer when putting using a book (im a push putter)

Do the towell drill with focus on pulling close to the body

analize footwork

get a feel for grip timing and wrist movements using a heavy object (fleshlight)

FTFY given your other suggestions.