• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2-day C tier vs 2x 1-day C tier?

esdubya

Double Eagle Member
I'm looking at running my first ever 2 day event. I'd like to do 2 completely separate days, with MPO and FPO, all pro, and FAx divisions on 1 day, with the MAx divisions on the other day.

What would you do, a 2-day C tier, or 2 separate 1-day C tiers? Which is supported better by PDGA and discgolfscene? etc.. thanks

Never ran a tournament, but from a playing perspective, I would prefer the separate days for divisions. 2 day tournaments are harder for me to justify, especially if they are farther away and travel is included. If I saw that it was actually only 1 day of playing, I would be more inclined to play.

One thought is that if you do them as separate C-tiers, some players can play both days -- one in their normal division, one in any other division they qualify for. For example, an advanced player could play MPO on one day, MA1 on the other.

I'm not sure if this is a pro or a con. If you wouldn't otherwise fill on the pro day, it might give you some extra players.

I think a lot of people expect a C tier to be a 1 day commitment, so separate days seems like the way to go.

Definitely two one days. The PDGA allows you to sanction 2 separate days on the same weekend under one fee. Disc Golf Scene can be made to do whatever you wish- it is the best thing to ever happen to TD's. Around here that seems to work best with MA1 and sometimes MA40 playing the same day as the pros and everyone else playing the opposite day. Depending on the course running all the FA divisions on the same day as the pros might be a big ask. They will be better suited to course configurations on the Am day (if course configurations are a concern).

I think a lot of people expect a C tier to be a 1 day commitment, so separate days seems like the way to go.

We have a good number of 2-day C-tiers around here. But local customs should always be a consideration.

Definitely two one days. The PDGA allows you to sanction 2 separate days on the same weekend under one fee. Disc Golf Scene can be made to do whatever you wish- it is the best thing to ever happen to TD's. Around here that seems to work best with MA1 and sometimes MA40 playing the same day as the pros and everyone else playing the opposite day. Depending on the course running all the FA divisions on the same day as the pros might be a big ask. They will be better suited to course configurations on the Am day (if course configurations are a concern).

I've tried to convince people to split events by age -- one Masters day (MP40 and above, MA40 and above, etc.), and one with no age divisions. We've had some standalone Masters tournaments, but so far no one's run with this idea for a split event, around here.

I've tried to convince people to split events by age -- one Masters day (MP40 and above, MA40 and above, etc.), and one with no age divisions. We've had some standalone Masters tournaments, but so far no one's run with this idea for a split event, around here.

For Loriella Challenge we split it into 4 days. One MA1 and MA40, one all other Ams, one old pros, one MPO and FPO. All 4 filled this year.

I am bringing the Hawk Hollow Open back this year after the course being mostly closed for a while- pretty sure that will wind up as 4 days as well but won't be divided the same. MA3 is likely to have its own day.

Thanks for the feedback!

My goal is to spread around the tournament participation since I'm anticipating a really high demand to play this year. Another goal of the tournament is to have a really really large participation from women, relatively. So my goal with the day 1 pro and women's am divisions is to reserve space for this to be possible. The course layout has always been universal, however I might have to consider some division specific rules this year. In general it's a red-white level course, but we add OB on a few holes to tighten up the lines.

I will be running two days for the first time this September. One PDGA sanctioning, different divisions on different days. For DGScene, do you set up one event or two separate events?

I will be running two days for the first time this September. One PDGA sanctioning, different divisions on different days. For DGScene, do you set up one event or two separate events?

You set it up as 2 events on DG Scene. When you sanction it you have the option of designating different days of competition for different divisions- the PDGA will give you a separate code for each day.