• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2 New Charlotte Courses

DiscnDude

I was reading something about Squirrel Lake this morning and came across an article i believe which mentioned 2 new courses to start development sometime this winter. The two that were mentioned were Park Road Park, and Idlewild Park. Does anyone else have any information on these two parks with Disc golf in there future plans?

you might want to inquire at the Charlotte Disc Golf Club forum

When I played at Kilborne a few weeks ago we talked with a guy from the club, the same guy that had designed Kilborne (I think), I regret to say that I have forgotten his name but he was telling us about 6-7 courses in the area that are either extending to 18 holes or being put in new. So first off that wouldn't surprise me and I do think that I remember something being said about Idlewild.

Last I heard, they were planning on adding between 7 and 11 courses between now and when they host the Worlds in 2012.

Well I imagine with a name like Idlewild it won't be getting less than a 5 disc rating, lol. Adding 7 to 11, that's just awesome!

I heard Idlewild is probably #2 or 3 on the list. I had just asked about that on a forum on the CDGC website. But I do know Squirrel Lake is close to getting another 6 holes to complete it at 18, Mint Hill is looking to expand from 9 to 18, and a few other parks are being considered, along with adding holes and whole new courses to existing DG courses in the area. Give it 2-3 years and the Charlotte area could see 5 new courses to add to the 20 courses in the general area.

OK, just rechecked the forum at CharlotteDGC.com. Idlewild is set at #3 for development, but is still waiting for a course design, which is coming very soon. Idlewild is located on Idlewild Road, in Matthews between NC-51(Matthews-Mint Hill Road) and Margarate Wallace Road, about 2 miles north of Independence Hwy. More info to come as I hear about it.

DiscnDude, where did you read the article? I've tried to find it, and just wondering where you saw it. Still gathering all the info I can on the subject and will keep it coming. Could you imagine the Charlotte area with more courses? I mean, its already DG heaven!! Courses everywhere! And to think that there will be one built even closer to my house! I'll definatly have a new Home Course once Idlewild is finished!

New insider information...

Park Road Park will not be getting a DG course. Mecklenberg P&R is worried about a DG oversaturation in the park and have rejected any plans to build a course at Park Road Park.

Idlewild will be getting a course, but a time frame is not set in stone. Layout is still to be completed for approval.

A few other parks will be getting approval for a DG course before Idlewild, and when I find out, I'll let you all know.

Ok...I'm being bombarded with loads of information. So much so that I will be starting threads for each NEW course coming to the Charlotte area, once I've gathered enough information to make the threads interesting. But there are two courses which WILL be built very soon. Two or there more courses are awaiting approval and plans for two or three MORE are in the works. So this is possibly 8 new courses to be built before the summer of 2012. More updates to come.

Keep fighting the good fight, I appreciate the info brotha.

New threads up for #1 and #2 on the burner. Nevin Park and Elon Park(second course) are the two closest to being developed. Idlewild currently sits at #4, with 5 more possibilities following, including one in the Davidson area. Davidson could see a new course in the time Nevin/Elon are built, but awaiting word on where in the process that is. Discuss the new courses on their individual threats in the discussion boards. As new information is released about the courses I will let you know as fast as possible. Happy DGing in Charlotte!

So Elon Park... does that mean there will possibly be a second DG course there? I just want to make sure I'm interpreting that correctly?

The course that will be constructing at Elon Park will be in addition to the existing course. From what I'm hearing, the existing course is staying, and there will be another one built. So Elon will have two 18-hole courses.

what's the status over there at Elon? How much has been completed?

Last I heard from Stan (Sat Sep 12th), hole 1 is almost done, and a lot of work has been done on hole 4.

That's on the long course, of course.

The short course is "done" except for tee posts/signs on the long pads (which are now concrete along with the short).

I think "Stanimal" has Fisher Farms as higher up on the list than Idlewild (he told me this when I talked to him at Bracketts Bluff).... I saw him down at Elon with "Fish" (gfisher1974) and he said he is working on it (Elon).

Latest posts