• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] 2 Questions

Shooter14

Eagle Member
1.) What are the differences between bottom stamped discs (in my case, Star Wraith), like why are they bottom stamped, and will they fly any differently?

2.) What is your opinion on the proper weight for an absolute max D driver? I have always thrown Max weight, or near it, for distance. I can get 350 on a rip. Should I go lighter? If so, why? What weight and how much more distance should be expected?

Gracias Amigos!

Question one; no real difference for bottom stamps, it's just asthetic.

Question 2; you can usually get a lighter disc up to speed more quickly and get it to it's point of maximum flight distance. What you lose with lighter discs is predictability. Even an overstable disc in 150 class can get blown around a bit. I would try a 165 or so to try and pick up a few feet without sacrificing reliability depending on your driver of choice.

Initially, bottom-stamps were something of a marketing gimmick: enough players were asking for blank topped discs that Innova found a way to accommodate them. (Don't recall if the tech standards at the time required discs to include the model name either engraved in the mold or as part of the disc art, permanent sticker label or by indelible ink marking like they do now, or merely recommended it: in any event, it would have been in Innova's interest to put a mfg and model stamp somewhere on the disc, and the bottom was as good a place as any.) Given that there can be wide variation between discs of the same mold and run, it's hard to say with any certainty whether or not bottom-stamped discs fly differently than top-stamped discs.

To the second question, the proper weight for absolute max distance is whatever weight works best for you: lighter discs can be less forgiving of form flaws than heavier discs, so if your form is clean, a lighter disc may give you more distance for the same effort; if your form isn't clean, you may get better results with heavier discs. The only way to know which is the case is to try a range of weights and see what works for you. (FWIW, the three longest recorded throws in history were set with sub-167g discs: Dave Wiggins (255m, 134g Blizzard Boss, Christian Sandstrom (250m, 164g DX Valk). Ken Jarvis (247m, 166 DX Teebird).)

Question 2; you can usually get a lighter disc up to speed more quickly and get it to it's point of maximum potential flight distance.

FTFY.

OTOH, lighter discs also carry much less momentum into the latter part of the flight due to their lower mass, so they lose forward penetration more quickly than heavier discs.

I throw wraiths for max D and my furthest one is a 150 starlite wraith. I have a 167 and a 175 star also. But there isn't much distance gap between the three. It's more of a stability gap imo. The heavier the more stable, in my personal expirence. The 167 is beat and the other 2 are relatively new. The 150 goes the furthest by maybe 10 to 15 feet but on anything but a tailwind flips pretty hard, I have to throw it higher than my others to give it time to come back. On strong tailwinds it is a god send. It flies with little turn and some fade, but really far.

Edit: the 175 is a bottom stamped and there really is no difference as stated above

#1. The bottom stamp is there so people can have a blank face for dying the discs. Innova will not release a disc without a stamp is why one must be there. Not any PDGA spec. (That's what I heard anyway)

#2. That's a personal preference. Try all weights and you decide what's best for you.

Innova will not release a disc without a stamp is why one must be there. Not any PDGA spec. (That's what I heard anyway)

Per the GUIDELINES & PROCEDURES FOR MANUFACTURERS TO CERTIFY THAT EQUIPMENT COMPLIES WITH PDGA TECHNICAL STANDARDS:

As of July 1, 2010, all newly-approved discs must carry the approved model name either engraved in the mold or as part of the disc art, permanent sticker label or by indelible ink marking. …

It is also highly recommended that all approved discs carry the words "PDGA Approved" either engraved in the mold and/or as part of the disc art or a permanent sticker. Manufacturers are also encouraged to add the model and approval identification to all previously-approved discs when it is feasible to do so. All approved discs manufactured after January 1, 2012 must comply with these standards.

While it's Innova's policy not to ship unstamped disc (other than test molds), I've purchased several new, unstamped CE and candy Pro Line discs at PIAS over the years.

personally I find no difference in my distance with lighter discs, for what ever reason I would throw a 175 and a 150g weight of the same disc the same distance so u just need to find what weights work for u, because lighter weights work well for others but not me

personally I find no difference in my distance with lighter discs, for what ever reason I would throw a 175 and a 150g weight of the same disc the same distance so u just need to find what weights work for u, because lighter weights work well for others but not me

maybe you arm speed is not fast enough to notice the difference. it shoul be a noticible difference. also the disc might turn over for you into a roller. hard to say.

hah I have thrown a 175 and a 150 destroyer both went 450 on max D and 415ish on normal lines, I think I got them up to speed.. and I have a 145 dx viper and several 175 and 180 vipers and they all go the same distance for me about 350 on a hyzer flip with a gentle fade, same as when I had a 150 katana and a 175 star katana they both went the same distance

Latest posts