• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2 wrongs= right?

He's not complaining that you have to use different throws. He is saying that the course is flawed, because one type of throw will help your shots more than it should. If a course favors one type of throw, it is not a great course. A great course needs to challenge EVERY discer, and that means the every shot is needed to make it through the round.

From what I understand, no one here was complaining about a bad round at a course, they were simply saying that it is not as challenging as a course, and that reviews need to reflect that.

No, I get that Krallbd, but factoring in all 27 holes it does NOT favor that shot more than 60% of the time at most. Anyway, you're not understanding what I'm trying to say. Complaining about course design because it's not "fair" is ridiculous to me. Playing with some great RHBH players might be making it hard for me to see though, some of the holes that look biased are NAILED by them simply because they take a great line. If it's a fun course I will enjoy it, if it's not I won't play it very often... simple as that. Play it before you believe the hype.

Nvm I have always known it's pointless to use logic in online forums, that's why I hardly post.

no it's not pointless to post logic on online forums. One some where a bunch of kids are there to just troll and be dumb, yes it's pointless. People have different opinions, it is just more of a challenge to convince someone over text than in person.

Are you saying fair, as in fair to the person? Or fair, as in fairly made course, as in an equal ratio is the best way and all courses should be made this way.

For the person:

I still don't agree with you though. In fact, I would say a right curving shot actually helps the rhbh player more than the lefty. A player can get so used to hyzers to the left, that it's all he or she learns. Being forced to figure out a right curving shot on that course adds another shot to the person's game. The best anhyzers I have ever seen are actually by a left handed player that has been forced to learn an anhyzer shot on the overwhelming amount of left hooking shots.

For the course:

Of course an unequal ratio of left or right hooking shots is not right, but we have such an overwhelming amount of "righty" shots that sometimes for a RHFH player, it would be nice to see something that plays towards your strengths more. I would not dock a course for more rightly or more lefty because:

1. Sometimes you have no choice in the matter, designers use the land and sometimes they do not have the freedom to cut holes in shrubbery or make lines for both types.

2. I still stand by that there is no lefty or righty shot. I had examples in my previous comment, and a little to add on to it in 3.

3. A shot that challenges a player is a player that is learning. A shot that you have so ingrained in your body that you can throw it sleeping is a player that is learning absolutely nothing.

No, I get that Krallbd, but factoring in all 27 holes it does NOT favor that shot more than 60% of the time at most. Anyway, you're not understanding what I'm trying to say. Complaining about course design because it's not "fair" is ridiculous to me. Playing with some great RHBH players might be making it hard for me to see though, some of the holes that look biased are NAILED by them simply because they take a great line. If it's a fun course I will enjoy it, if it's not I won't play it very often... simple as that. Play it before you believe the hype.

And your not understanding what myself, along with others have been saying. No one is arguing that it is not "fair." We are saying it has a flaw that needs to be corrected. It might still be an extremely fun course to play, but even the best courses have things they need improvement on. That is why this thread was started, to discuss an improvement that one person thinks to be done, to turn a good course into a better course. He said he can play it just fine, he just wants it to be layed out in a different way so that he can enjoy the total experience more.

1. Sometimes you have no choice in the matter, designers use the land and sometimes they do not have the freedom to cut holes in shrubbery or make lines for both types.
QUOTE]

1. He isn't saying it is the designers fault, but when we review, we have to review it objectively, and that means you cannot say "it makes good use of the land" because a course that sucks, but uses the land well...stills SUCKS. He is saying what could have been better

And your not understanding what myself, along with others have been saying. No one is arguing that it is not "fair." We are saying it has a flaw that needs to be corrected. It might still be an extremely fun course to play, but even the best courses have things they need improvement on. That is why this thread was started, to discuss an improvement that one person thinks to be done, to turn a good course into a better course. He said he can play it just fine, he just wants it to be layed out in a different way so that he can enjoy the total experience more.

It does NOT need to be corrected... honestly do you not understand how many courses are around this area? There would be no reason to play Black Locust if it wasn't built the way it was. How many rounds have you played at Black Locust Krallbad? Out of curiosity, how many have you played Hudson Mills, Cass Benton, and Independence Lake?

Im just curious where this "everything needs to be equal" mentality has come from?

1. He isn't saying it is the designers fault, but when we review, we have to review it objectively, and that means you cannot say "it makes good use of the land" because a course that sucks, but uses the land well...stills SUCKS. He is saying what could have been better

Okay, since you are in MN, I'll bring up a Mn course. Alimagnet disc golf course, not ONCE is it ever stated that the course actually has almost twice as many left hooking shots as right hooking. Hole 2, 6, 7, 8 , 11 are all left hooking. Hole 5, 9, and 11 are right hooking. Is it a bad course because 5 out of 12 holes are right hooking, when only 3 are left? Did he not make good use of the land he was given?

Maybe some of us sidearm or lefty throwers should start complaining about righty dominant courses. I think we'd fill the entire forums with complaints.

Im just curious where this "everything needs to be equal" mentality has come from?
I'm not sure what you mean. Objectively, a course that heavily relies on one type of shot is not as good as one that requires many different shots. Isn't the whole point of reviewing courses to compare them objectively against one another?

deadhorse.jpg

Cause it was Die mutha F*cka Die mutha F*cka Die!

It does NOT need to be corrected... honestly do you not understand how many courses are around this area? There would be no reason to play Black Locust if it wasn't built the way it was. How many rounds have you played at Black Locust Krallbad? Out of curiosity, how many have you played Hudson Mills, Cass Benton, and Independence Lake?

My playing of the course does not matter. What matters is one persons view that this course could be BETTER if the course was changed. The amount of courses around has no effect what-so-ever. If one course is ridiculously short, does it matter if the others around it are longer? NO! You say there would be no reason to play Black Locust if it was built differently, how about that it is a good course? Are you claiming the only reason you play it is because it has right hooks? Then it definately needs to be changed, cause the course can't be that fun if one design element is the sole reason to play it.

A review of a course has to stand on its own, and cannot take into consideration other courses around it. One person gets to decide how to review it, and all that was stated here was improvements that the reviewer though could be made to ensure an better experience in his opinion. If you don't like it, don't read it, obviously you are playing the course anyways.

Okay, since you are in MN, I'll bring up a Mn course. Alimagnet disc golf course, not ONCE is it ever stated that the course actually has almost twice as many left hooking shots as right hooking. Hole 2, 6, 7, 8 , 11 are all left hooking. Hole 5, 9, and 11 are right hooking. Is it a bad course because 5 out of 12 holes are right hooking, when only 3 are left? Did he not make good use of the land he was given?

They made great use of Alimagnet, but it would be a better course if there was a larger variety of shots were necessary(alos if they made it easier to find, it took me damn near 45 minutes to find it the first time I went there). If you want to play an easy course with no challenges, go for it. All I am saying is throwing all anhyzer shots will get boring after a while. And that is the case with every type of shot, no matter what. Repetition gets dull quickly, and thats why the best courses offer variety of shots.

The use of land was done well, but land use should not be a factor in reviewing. Because, like I said before, a course can make great use of the land, and still suck. Another MN course, Garlough elementry course. It makes great use of land, because it takes a very small chunk of unused land and turns it into a 9 hole course. But it sucks cause there is not challenge to any shots, a person can play with a putter and still play under par. Great idea for the land, but overall, the course is inadequate.

My playing of the course does not matter...

Yes it does.

Any reviewer has the right to give their opinion on a course... as long as they've played the course.

Innovadude has the right not to enjoy the course because it's (allegedly) biased.

A course does not have to be "fair" to be good, or fun for that matter.

Yes it does.

Any reviewer has the right to give their opinion on a course... as long as they've played the course.

Innovadude has the right not to enjoy the course because it's (allegedly) biased.

A course does not have to be "fair" to be good, or fun for that matter.

If you took the time to read what I have wrote fro this thread, you notice that I haven't said that I think Black Locust needs to be improved. I have only defended what Innovadude had the right to say, and tried to help him explain what I thought he meant when he started this thread. I never said that I personally disliked the course.

You just repeated what I said about a course still being fun if it is not challenging, so there you go...we agree on that evidently

When I review a course, I look for a variety of types of shots needed to get to the green. These will include right- and left-hooking shots and straight shots. Within these types of shots, I also look at what variety of distances are used for each. A long right-hooking shot is not the same as a short right-hooking shot.

In the end, I'll take an inventory of how many different discs I used for the course and what types of shots I used. Invariably, the course that offers a wider variety of different shots will fare better in my review. Conversely, if I found that I kept using the same disc for the same type of shot for the bulk of the holes, then it's not going to fare as well.

If you took the time to read what I have wrote fro this thread, you notice that I haven't said that I think Black Locust needs to be improved. I have only defended what Innovadude had the right to say, and tried to help him explain what I thought he meant when he started this thread. I never said that I personally disliked the course.

You just repeated what I said about a course still being fun if it is not challenging, so there you go...we agree on that evidently

I'm not here just to disagree with you, I was just stating my opinion. You're defending a person who is (re)stating an opinion by basically telling other folks their opinion is wrong. This is silliness.

The use of land was done well, but land use should not be a factor in reviewing. Because, like I said before, a course can make great use of the land, and still suck. Another MN course, Garlough elementry course. It makes great use of land, because it takes a very small chunk of unused land and turns it into a 9 hole course. But it sucks cause there is not challenge to any shots, a person can play with a putter and still play under par. Great idea for the land, but overall, the course is inadequate.

Seems to me that this course would be rated low becuase it is not challenging or interesting. Putting a course in the middle of a flat field is not good use of land, its a bad choice for a course location. When people are speaking of the best use of the land they are talking about layout, using elevation, creeks, shule etc to craft interesting and challenging holes.

I am still not convinced that a 'fair balance' of lefty and righty holes is necessary. If the majority of Americans were left handed therefore most courses in the country had a majority of left handed holes I would love to come across a right hand dominated course. Now I understand you want a balance on this specific course, but since it is so rare to have a left hand dominated course it seems to be justified.

Latest posts