• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2010 Ace Race Disc

cjskier said:
I place this disc a lot closer to a more stable Stalker then anything else I have thrown. It may be making the bag now. I think they should name it the Creeper.

this is exciting to me. our acerace is this weekend and now i can't wait.

I hope they run this disc in z or give it to dga to run in sp. I use this disc nexted to my squall and love it.

bill said:
cjskier said:
I place this disc a lot closer to a more stable Stalker then anything else I have thrown. It may be making the bag now. I think they should name it the Creeper.

Just hope your ace race td put the holes like 200' to 300', instead of the 150-200 discraft suggests.

cjskier said:
bill said:
cjskier said:

Just hope your ace race td put the holes like 200' to 300', instead of the 150-200 discraft suggests.

This was my problem too... this disc is almost useless under 200' for me (not that i have a big arm at all). It's just so damn stable that it really needs to have power to fly right.

I initially thought the disc sucked... but after throwing it full power in a field, i 'get it' now. There's a good chance it will make my bag, and replace my wasps (sniff, sniff). I've been throwing the wasps straighter and straighter lately, they just don't seem to have that LSS that would compliment a buzzz well anymore, nor fight wind as much.

One huge complaint I do have about it is that it doesn't seem to flick well, at all. Everyone I talked to said it flipped over when flicked. It flipped when I flicked it, and every other flick I saw too... odd since it's so stable.

I did get one nice ace with it during the ace race (big sweeping hyzer). Everything that was within the distance range I would normally throw the disc (200-300) and finished left (RHBH) felt great and was usually under the basket. Shorter holes were a crapshoot though.

The ESP this disc is made in is very tough; I beat the snot out of mine with several rollers on a gravel driveway before the ace race but it was still in great condition. I'd still prefer Z though.

What plastic is your Wasp in? I've a Z one and have been throwing it for a year and it is till just as stable as it was when I got it (or at least pretty close).

I find it strange that you flipped it right away and weren't doing well with it throwing forehand, most people I saw throwing it this way did well and didn't hear any complaints.

cjskier said:

I hear you on that, that disc is too much unless there is a decent headwind.

There's a good chance it will make my bag, and replace my wasps (sniff, sniff). I've been throwing the wasps straighter and straighter lately, they just don't seem to have that LSS that would compliment a buzzz well anymore, nor fight wind as much.
This is why I liked it a lot better than the wasp. It has a much better feel in the hand too. I stopped using wasps becasue it doesn't take them too long to just act like a slower crappier buzzz. Sometimes they would fade hard, sometimes just get up and go straight. Plus the wasp feels like a roc and I really dont care for the roc...just feels wrong. This ace race disc is also much better in the wind than a wasp, it's faster and more workable than a drone or the like

Aubin said:
One huge complaint I do have about it is that it doesn't seem to flick well, at all. Everyone I talked to said it flipped over when flicked. It flipped when I flicked it, and every other flick I saw too... odd since it's so stable.

I think it's just a matter of time/practice to get used the feel of the rim. I didn't play the Ace Race this year, but my buddy ran one and introduced me to the disc while he was in town. He is a pro level FH dominant player who can flick anything from a Roc/Buzzz on up without any OAT or turnover problems. He had no problems throwing it very smooth, and he loved it. I would have bought one from him, but all he had were 174 and lighter and they were pretty FLXish...

discspeed said:
Aubin said:

I think it's just a matter of time/practice to get used the feel of the rim. I didn't play the Ace Race this year, but my buddy ran one and introduced me to the disc while he was in town. He is a pro level FH dominant player who can flick anything from a Roc/Buzzz on up without any OAT or turnover problems. He had no problems throwing it very smooth, and he loved it. I would have bought one from him, but all he had were 174 and lighter and they were pretty FLXish...
At our ace race this year I probly flicked 80% of the holes, thing flew like a champ.....clean up that flick

oh my flick blowwws no doubt... but i heard/ saw this with a lot of other players who are forehand dominant. probably guys (and me) not used to flicking mids.

ths is a really good disc to practice your flick with because if your form is bad the disc will not make up for it. My flick is not the best and i flick over stable plastic ( demon, banshee, tsunami, riot) and they make up for my bad form. This disc doesn't work that way however when you hit it nice and smooth it will sail.

josser said:
Has anybody tried to beat one of these in?

Aubin said:
The ESP this disc is made in is very tough; I beat the snot out of mine with several rollers on a gravel driveway before the ace race but it was still in great condition. I'd still prefer Z though.

i may have missed it but has anyone thrown the 160-166 weights? if so just as stable? easier or less easy to control?

How long did it take for focus to become more than a proto after the ace race season was over? Just wondering when can I get my hands on the first run...

bill said:
josser said:
Has anybody tried to beat one of these in?

Aubin said:

i may have missed it but has anyone thrown the 160-166 weights? if so just as stable? easier or less easy to control?

I got a max weight one and light one. The light one was still almost as stable, seemed like slightly less HSS and just as LSS, but slightly easier to shape lines. I haven't thrown them since the Ace Race, but that is what I remembered when I did throw them and it was really windy out that day I was playing.

i really like this disc. it sure seems fast for a mid but i'm anxious to get some real throws with it.

your very own timko one our ace race yesterday.

Yea! 4 metals and an ace!

I found the light one the easiest to shape throws inside 200' (which was as long as most of the holes were). This disc can be torqued over for D, and can be finessed on S lines. It seemed like a nice, predictable disc (but no real room for it in my bag).

I have never done an ace race but picked up a few in trades. Does Discraft ask for feedback on the disc after the event. I was wondering how they determine a disc that will make it into production from these events. I am hoping that based on the coments I read this has a good chance of making it.