• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2011 Indiana Summer Series

1. There could be a Northern Indiana State Championships and a Southern Indiana State Championship​
2. The State Championship could rotate and showcase the states premiere courses.​
3. It could be centrally located to accommodate all golfers.​

Ideally I like option 2, rotating it to showcase the premiere courses. But the problem is the best courses in Indiana, aren't anywhere near the center of the state. There are 7 courses in the state rated a 4 or better with 10+ reviews:

Old English Golf Course in English, IN - 4.31 - south
Rogers Lakewood Park in Valparaiso, IN - 4.23 - northwest
Camp Cullom DGC in Frankfort, IN - 4.20 - central-ish
Patoka Lake State Rec. Area in Birdseye, IN - 4.17 - south
Seviren Lang DGC in Georgetown, IN - 4.17 - south
Mesker Park in Evansville, IN - 4.12 - southwest
Lemon Lake County Park Silver in Crown Point, IN - 4.0 - northwest

Camp Cullom is the most central course but it's still a 3 hour drive for me and 4 hours from Evansville. English is the highest rated course in the state and it's just less than 4 hours from Peru and 4.5 hours from Fort Wayne. So I'm not sure this is the best idea.

I like the 3rd option because it accommodates all golfers by being in the center of the state. That means using the same 3-4 courses every year; Brookside, Washington, James Dillon and maybe Longley in Lebanon.

I don't like the 2nd option because it drives us apart while option 3 brings everyone together.

Last edited:
Adam, I was already talking with Ben to do a rotating system like the Ryder cup. That seemed to be the biggest desire from the Evansville guys. If I see Brian Cummings tonight at leagues I will talk to him about it to see if the northern guys would be up to something like that, or creating a new tournament so that it could happen

I TD'd the Eagle Scout Open NISS #2, the results are up at pdga.com.

I also run a fall tourney at Camp Cullom, looks like it will be the first weekend in November this year but the date isn't set yet. Do you guys think there would be interest in a Northern Indiana vs. Southern Indiana format? Individual payouts but track team points and award bragging rights. We have this back in MN with a four team format(the Mider Cup) and its really fun.

is the terre haute event still happening next weekend? I dont see anything about it on the PDGA website....

The Breeze Through the Trees is the same day as the Patoka Lake Invitational. I've always wanted to go up or BTTT, but there is no way I would miss Patoka. Would make more sense to have the BTTT two weekends later (9/24). There are no tournaments scheduled in the area.

The Breeze Through the Trees is the same day as the Patoka Lake Invitational. I've always wanted to go up or BTTT, but there is no way I would miss Patoka. Would make more sense to have the BTTT two weekends later (9/24). There are no tournaments scheduled in the area.

Job this does stink that they are the same dates, John Calvetto (sp?) the state coordinator approved us both, I hadn't noticed though until I checked the tournament schedule to see if Patoka had been listed. We are sticking to 1 day this year and the weekend after Labor day as we have in the past years. I hope the turnout for both is great, I am working on sponsorships and fundraisers as we speak. Hoping to make this the biggest and best so far.

And it seem like this is the 3rd different weekend in 3 years for BTTT. I'm not trying to knock the guys in Terre Haute at all. I just feel like this is another example of poor communication between northern Indiana and southern Indiana.

It would be more understandable if it was a tournament north of Indy, but Terre Haute and Birdseye are only 2.5 hours apart.

And it seem like this is the 3rd different weekend in 3 years for BTTT. I'm not trying to knock the guys in Terre Haute at all. I just feel like this is another example of poor communication between northern Indiana and southern Indiana.

It would be more understandable if it was a tournament north of Indy, but Terre Haute and Birdseye are only 2.5 hours apart.

If BTTT was a B tier it'd be a problem since the PDGA requires a 100 miles between B tiers... but since its a C tier only 50 miles is required.

I sent a message to the TD of BTTT via the PDGA but somehow it was sent to Jason LaBella who sent me a message back, I just wanted them to know we were not trying to sabotage their event on the conflicting dates. It does stink however that we obviously have our event the same date (the Saturday after Labor Day) and they didn't take note of this previously. Oh well, I wish them the best and hope we both have a nice turnout

LaBella should be the TD for the Breeze. He TD'd last year's Breeze and is the TD for the upcoming Mother of the Valley. So that makes sense.

Hm. Maybe he is. I guess I haven't actually talked to them that much about that far ahead and I just assumed. Evansville, huh? I like Mesker a lot.

Latest posts