• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2012 World Courses--Plantation Ruins

tom12003

Eagle Member
The Plantation Ruins course at Winget Park in Charlotte, NC, is the area's newest course (mid Jan. 2012) that will be used for the Worlds, MA1's. It is one of the shortest World's courses (4751') but don't take the length for granted; accuracy is the key. Based on the 238-player Charlotte Amateur Championships last month, the course didn't give anything away; it gave and it took! After analyzing scores (round ratings compared to a player's initial PDGA ratings), they averaged about where they should be; however there were some major discrepancies (many of those who had very high ratings, shot more than 50 less than theirs; many with lower ratings exceled). Learn to throw in the woods! I'll be interested how the AMs score this July.

Chuck (Cgkdisc) recently included this course in his top recreational (fun) courses in the country.

Plantation Ruins only shows 100 DGCR members that played the course in the past 4 months; it's at least 5 times that number; if you've played it, register it. Best single scores for the par 57 course are 42 (-15) and 47 (-10) by 2 different 1026 rated pros (MJ, Big Jerm). Today I had my personal best of 58 (1 over, 904 rating, but 7 strokes UNDER my age, old guys can still buzz and roc).

I do have a prejudice, as I am the course director and have spent 800+ volunteer hours in building this one. Sam Nicholson (course designer and 2012 World's Director) and I have diabolical plans to make this course a true GOLD course (almost every hole—tee or pin--can be lengthened to make it a MEANER course). We just didn't have the time or energy to do it in time for the Worlds.

I'm interested in any feedback from those who have played here. Feedback translates to improvements.

Four Saulses from Columbia, plus a couple of friends, played there a couple of weekends ago.

It's going to be a very fine course when it gets broken in. It's already a fine course, just unpolished. Lots of interesting shots and not a bad hole among them. Technical, but not TOO tight.

AND, it's on beautiful property. Absolutely beautiful. And, unlike some places in the Charlotte, very peaceful, with no road sounds or non-disc-golfers to deal with.

The hills didn't tire me but, just seeing how much work had gone into carving it out of the woods, exhausted me. Especially where the wisteria vine tangle had to be cleared. Amazing work.

I won't review it until I play it again at Worlds, but I'm really looking forward to that round.