• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Destination FLORIDA

Not much down that way for DG stores. There are users on here that live down there and I know of one who is wanting to lighten up his collection. He is listed as a guide on here for the Easterlin course (and probably all of the Ft Lauderdale courses). Might be able to pick up a guide and get some plastic. He would probably have some local stamp stuff too. Markham is a pretty good course also.

Last edited:
I'm going the be in Ft Lauderdale in May but probably won't be able to bring any discs. I looked on this site and it lists a dart and bowling supply shop. When I google the shop it shows as closed. The next closest stores are listed as a Dick 100 miles away. Are there any local shops? I will be near Markham Park. I would like to find a shop where I can maybe get a disc with a local stamp and mail back home. I reached out to the local club but no reply yet. Thanks.

Did you email somebody or go on the Broward Disc Golf FB page? Our admins are usually pretty quick to respond to a join request.

As far as area shops go I think the guy in Sunrise closed, he would have been the closest. Tradewinds park in Coconut Creek has some Innova and Trilogy for sale in their park office (open 9-530 every day).

Okay, I'm reviving this thread because it is getting cold in a lot of places in the country and many will be looking to want to go somewhere warm.

I'm talking to you, my native Floridians. Got a new course you want to brag on? Some upgrades to existing courses we need to hear about?

I'll start with my area of expertise: south Florida. Yes, it is still 82 degrees at 11 pm this time of year. I must tell you about our newest course: Silent Lake DGC. It is a pro par 58 with good but fair holes and two tees to almost every hole. Once the local club gets pads and signs put in look for this course to join the rank and file of good, solid courses here in Broward county.

Silent Lake, at Quiet Waters Park, is just minutes from Tradewinds Park, which, if everything goes well here in dry season, should have a second course taking shape and launching sometime in 2019. I don't want to speculate too much here yet without talking to the board members of the club I belong to, but stay tuned, I should know more soon.

Sometime in 2019 the Palm Beach club will put the final touches on resurrecting a course in Delray Beach, which is ten minutes from Silent Lake and less than 30 minutes from the Palm Beach courses. When they are finished I will get up there and have a look for myself as this course/park, on the edge of the Everglades, took a nasty blow from Hurricane Irma in 2017.

The course in Martin county had its first tournament, an unsanctioned singles event, and I hear that went well. As far as further up the Treasure coast, Lakewood Park is one of their newer courses, and it is a fun play. From the long pads it is a challenging layout, par 59 or 60 I believe, and is mere minutes from I-95 in Fort Pierce.

I'm hoping to hit some more courses here on the SE FL coast this winter, and perhaps make a trip to the Gulf Coast to play a few more.

We have a couple of new nine-hole courses in SW Florida. Franz Ross Park in Port Charlotte and Bob Gardner Park in Bradenton. Both are pretty nice for nine-holers with Franz Ross being tight and technical in a rustic setting and Bob Gardner being well groomed and manicured. An 18 hole course is being installed in Englewood and should be open this winter. Rumor has it that another 18 hole course in Sarasota is opening soon.

The new course in Lakeland is very nice and I highly recommend playing the Oldsmar course just North of Tampa.

I was thinking about a Pensacola area trip for sometime around March 2019 and was wondering how the courses fared during the recent hurricane?

I hope to hit Bob G and Franz in the next couple of years. My brother still lives in Sarasota so I know ill be back at some point. I do really what to hit the new Lakeland course though. other than Mr. Butlertron (whom is holding off on his review) everyone seems to have liked it.

I was thinking about a Pensacola area trip for sometime around March 2019 and was wondering how the courses fared during the recent hurricane?

as for the panhandle, it got a whoopin. I saw pictures of "The Bear" alford FL, which is 50 from the landfall location. half of the trees were snapped in two. the course will never be the same. I imagine that all the panama city courses are in ruins and that tallahasse's tom brown and jack mclain are messed up as well.

the destin area courses did alright. I saw picture of the chaindragon and Defunk Disco and there was only minimal damage. Pensacola should have even less damage, being further west.

I hope to hit Bob G and Franz in the next couple of years. My brother still lives in Sarasota so I know ill be back at some point. I do really what to hit the new Lakeland course though. other than Mr. Butlertron (whom is holding off on his review) everyone seems to have liked it.

as for the panhandle, it got a whoopin. I saw pictures of "The Bear" alford FL, which is 50 from the landfall location. half of the trees were snapped in two. the course will never be the same. I imagine that all the panama city courses are in ruins and that tallahasse's tom brown and jack mclain are messed up as well.

the destin area courses did alright. I saw picture of the chaindragon and Defunk Disco and there was only minimal damage. Pensacola should have even less damage, being further west.

Thanks for the update. As for who likes what courses I learned a long time ago that it is nearly impossible to get two disc golfers to agree on anything. Unfortunately, we may have to change plans and do a Jacksonville or Tallahassee trip perhaps. Either way, I'm itching to get Cemetery Point Park out of the way.

Joe moody hole 9 in Panama City

before
attachment.php

after
attachment.php

Attachments

• 44725801_10210375654507800_23989209119326208_n.jpg
    44725801_10210375654507800_23989209119326208_n.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 92
  • fd9abb75.jpg
    fd9abb75.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 92
That's just amazing how it snapped all the pines.

Wow. I'll never complain about storm damage on our course again.

Well, I probably will, but I'll make sure there's no one from the Florida Panhandle within earshot.

Wow... that hole ain't gonna be the same.

More Hurricane Michael Destruction. 10 miles from landfall on the weak side of the storm.
Under the Oaks DGC may need a name change as a vast majority of the Oaks were taken out.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4589

before
attachment.php

after
the tee is somewhere in there just on the other side of the chain link fence.
for reference, the big tree still standing on the right is the same tree on the right in the before picture
attachment.php

Attachments

• under the oaks hole 1 old.jpg
    under the oaks hole 1 old.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 135
  • under the oaks hole 1 after.jpg
    under the oaks hole 1 after.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 135
So sad. Some of our southern Florida courses took a year to bounce back after Irma rolled through last year. This looks even worse.

I concur. Every course in Tampa lost trees from Irma, but thankfully a few course bounced back into shape within a two weeks. Irma was one of the leading reasons I left the state. I'm done with Hurricanes.

side note, I have a preliminary plans to travel to Ellenton FL (staying off of exit 224) some weekend in mid to late February. Ill keep you posted.

Super glad this thread got bumped, I may have never seen it off of the front page. I'm going to be driving from Orlando to Miami, going through Tampa Bay, Sarasota, and Naples. This will no doubt be my go-to reference when making decisions. Thank you to everyone that has contributed! I am looking forward to shorts and tees again, this summer felt awful short up here.

We have a couple of new nine-hole courses in SW Florida. Franz Ross Park in Port Charlotte and Bob Gardner Park in Bradenton. Both are pretty nice for nine-holers with Franz Ross being tight and technical in a rustic setting and Bob Gardner being well groomed and manicured.

I played Bob Gardner today and I really liked it. Too bad it's not 18 holes. I added a review and photos.

Minus the storm damage, I agree this is the time to play dg in florida. Less bugs, heat makes for my kind of golf.

On a second thought while I dreaming about out of season golf in florida maybe I can dream myself into that second vacation home next to a stellar course.

I never knew what a Chigger was until I went to Florida :/

Though I gotta say, the front nine at Cliff Stevens feels like home. I'll be daydreaming of that weather all winter.

I will be heading to Nats spring training in West Palm Beach, staying in Boca Raton. It looks like there are quite a few solid courses nearby.

Looking for tips or recommendations, especially any information about courses that have not yet been listed or updated on DGCR. What are the must-play courses in the area?

I enjoy everything from tough, challenging layouts to fun ace run courses. Bonus for enjoyable 9-hole (or less) courses that I can bang out quickly to spend more time with spousal unit. The only thing I don't like is losing lots of discs on vacation when the supply of back-ups is limited. :D

Last year I was able to play Commons Park and Okeeheelee. I particularly enjoyed Okeeheelee - it was nice to have some elevation and trees to hit.

. . . I must tell you about our newest course: Silent Lake DGC. It is a pro par 58 with good but fair holes and two tees to almost every hole.
Silent Lake sounds interesting. Any updates on teepads or signage?

. . . just minutes from Tradewinds Park, which, if everything goes well here in dry season, should have a second course taking shape and launching sometime in 2019.
Anything new on a second course at Tradewinds?

Sometime in 2019 the Palm Beach club will put the final touches on resurrecting a course in Delray Beach, which is ten minutes from Silent Lake and less than 30 minutes from the Palm Beach courses. . . .
Which course is this? West Delray Regional Park sounds . . . rough around the edges. :|

Sounds like Three Mountains DGC is a temp course. Any chance it will be set up for play in early March?

I appreciate all the good information in this thread. Thanks for letting folks know what's going on with Florida courses!