• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2013 Ace Race Disc is called "The Mantis"

Per PDGA specs the Mantis has 1.9cm rim, same as the Avenger and Pred, about a speed 9. With a rim that large I don't think it will be the Teebird competitor/ pseudo Tracker revival/ workhorse fairway some had made it out to be.
Seems like Discraft dropped the ball a bit on this, I imagine there would be some overlap with an Avenger or even an Avenger SS.

It seems like it should fit right between the Avenger and Avenger SS. Not to flippy, but a decent amount of turn and a good fade at the end.

Avenger and Avenger SS are very far apart. On the new chart, the Mantis is placed just shorter than Wildcat, and only slightly more stable than A-SS. Well to the right of XL/XS. Right of Cyclone and Zombee. I'm guessing it will be a Sidewinder.

i was looking at my ti mantis and a riptide I have from a tourney a few years ago. just from visual inspection i can't tell the difference between there rim so i am going to try and throw them side by side today. may someone with a better camera then me can post pics of them side by side.

I never threw the ace race mantis but I have been throwing the Z mantis for a few weeks. It is very beginner friendly and has very little stability. I almost lost mine on the first throw when it flipped and went to the right out of sight. I have now learned to throw it straight. It has a similar stability to a cryztal meteor.

Holy crap, that is not the same disc. Colour me disappointed. And I'm a Discraft fan boy. How similar is the new Mantis to the Zombee?

Be careful what you buy, my Ace Race disc is easily as under-stable as the current flight ratings, maybe more.

I am with this guy. There must have been a lot of variance in stability with the ace race discs because I am reading everyone mention how stable they were, while mine was stupid flippy.

uhh i was about to buy a mantis too. but now if they made it understable f that. ill keep my stalkers. and my bag is 80% discraft too. my ti ace race is a 150s and i wanted a heavy. now they came out with z so i thought i could get a heavy but they made them slightly understable? no bueno.

wow. have never heard such differing reviews of flight on a discraft disc. my ar mantis, both upper 160's, are extremely stable. very little turn and predictable forward fade. i didn't see anyone turning over there's at the ace race.

anyone thrown these in elite z plastic yet? what do they compare to?

So has anyone thrown the production Z run Mantis yet?

My son got one of those with the big picture on it - it seems pretty similar to the Ace Race version, maybe even more HSS: healthy fade at the end of every shot.

My son got one of those with the big picture on it - it seems pretty similar to the Ace Race version, maybe even more HSS: healthy fade at the end of every shot.

This makes me happy.

where can those big stamp discs be found? I would like a to pick up a few.

Some serious consistency problems within the mold then, based on the given stability rating and what you're telling us. I actually remember someone saying he almost lost his Z Mantis because it turned over off the fairway.

Last edited: