• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Pro Worlds at Lemon Lake

I would like to thank all the volunteers that showed up to help. Everybody had a great attitude and accepted all the jobs I gave them even if some of the jobs sucked. We had a great team that worked really hard to make things run smooth this week.

I wish we had better accommodations for you guys, you deserved it. I felt pretty bad that many of my volunteers had to buy their own food late in the week because they were tired of eating the same crap all week dispite our significant budget for volunteer food($1000/day for ~40 people). Our only variance from the bugers and hotdogs was when they tried to feed us day old leftovers from food that Vibram and Innova had generously bought for player events.

I'm sorry to the person that won the basket in the volunteer raffle only to have it taken away when the Svitkos reneged on a promise they had made. The basket had been promised long before the tourney started and was even awarded to the lucky(everyone thought at the time) volunteer at the awards ceremony only to be taken away before he could leave the park.

A slew of volunteers worked their butts off to run at great worlds and were disrespected and mistreated behind the scenes. What a shame, good luck finding volunteers in the future.

-2013 pro worlds volunteer coordinator

well thanks anyway bro...

the real fans appreciated it. big ups.

I saw Chuck Kennedy (cgkdisc) chuck a disc way deep into the crap on the approach to Gold-8's basket. The coolest thing is that he said he finally found "the hole on hole 8".

Chuck out-performed his rating way above almost anyone else....had a great tournament by the looks of it.

chuck bro great job old bro.

tamer of indy golf parks.

Someone commented on facebook that dgp may only have paid for 600 mins of airtime and the show cut off at 599. If this is the case, they might have planned their day a bit better.

I would really like to see some real coverage of Worlds, similar the quality and depth we get with all of the major sports (baseball, football, basketball, soccer, etc). The daily write-ups on PDGA.com are way too high-level and devoid of details.

Any volunteers or ideas for improvement?

I would really like to see some real coverage of Worlds, similar the quality and depth we get with all of the major sports (baseball, football, basketball, soccer, etc). The daily write-ups on PDGA.com are way too high-level and devoid of details.

Find the money to make this happen, that's what's needed.

pay trained writers.

I would like to thank all the volunteers that showed up to help. Everybody had a great attitude and accepted all the jobs I gave them even if some of the jobs sucked. We had a great team that worked really hard to make things run smooth this week.

I wish we had better accommodations for you guys, you deserved it. I felt pretty bad that many of my volunteers had to buy their own food late in the week because they were tired of eating the same crap all week dispite our significant budget for volunteer food($1000/day for ~40 people). Our only variance from the bugers and hotdogs was when they tried to feed us day old leftovers from food that Vibram and Innova had generously bought for player events.

I'm sorry to the person that won the basket in the volunteer raffle only to have it taken away when the Svitkos reneged on a promise they had made. The basket had been promised long before the tourney started and was even awarded to the lucky(everyone thought at the time) volunteer at the awards ceremony only to be taken away before he could leave the park.

A slew of volunteers worked their butts off to run at great worlds and were disrespected and mistreated behind the scenes. What a shame, good luck finding volunteers in the future.

this may be the last straw for that dude. i've heard rumors about the "Svitko Vs. Red rock DGC feud" when i went up and played the indiana championships. this may invoke some change.

Despite my earlier exchange with Tbird, I feel like I got $7 dollar coverage lol. The video was at least slightly better than past attempts and not just daily wrap ups (the KCWO Affair). However, in my opinion the PDGA needs to treat DGP more than just a side project. They need to fork out the big bucks for professionally trained media users: cameramen, directors, producers, commentators, writers, ACTUAL journalists. Also, while I'm not thrilled with either of them, they need to dump Greenwell. He has no personality, which I can at least say for Crazy, as awkward as he sometimes is.

$1000 per day for 40 people and the best they could do is hamburgers and hotdogs?! You could almost have had 2 meals a day catered at that budget. Heck, save yourself the planning headache and give the volunteers a $12.5 stipend for every half-day worked or something like that.

OR...give me $1000/day and I will cook up some meals that will have the volunteer staff eating like kings three meals a day.

That was my initial thought too. I don't spend $25/day on my daily meals, and I eat better than just burgers and dogs.

My second job is at a quick service restaurant. We can cater to 40 people for about 180 bucks a meal and you'd be eating really well. They didn't spend their money wisely at all.

Don't wish to pile on DiscGolfplanet's coverage, but the production value from top to bottom could use improvement. I know there's more to meet the eye at covering such an event, and it is harder than it looks, but if your selling a product(Disc Golf) why not present it with professionalism?

Don't wish to pile on DiscGolfplanet's coverage, but the production value from top to bottom could use improvement. I know there's more to meet the eye at covering such an event, and it is harder than it looks, but if your selling a product(Disc Golf) why not present it with professionalism?

When it's edited for BSN, it will look much better. Look at the Memorial footage they submitted vs what they broadcast live.

The Worlds, and all other disc golf major events, are run and organized by disc golfers putting their own time in. Some get compensated but most don't. They are golfer volunteers who do not specialize in running big events.
There are people who make a living off of doing that exact thing, they're called Event Planners and like anything else they cost money. So for the sport's big events to go to the next level and for them to be done in a professional manner some one like this is required.

Where would that money come from?

It sucks the volunteers were disrespected, I would love to hear an explanation from the person that made the decision not to give that basket away and about the food.

With that said, $hit like this will happen but I really believe that most of the people who work these events are doing everything they can to do their part at the best of their ability.

I was talked down to/insulted much more than I was thanked.

I'll echo others here, and say thanks for your service!

I was out on Thursday, and the whole operation seemed pretty smooth. That's no doubt do in large parts due to your efforts, and the efforts of the volunteers you directed. The army of spotters on Gold 8 and 9 was especially memorable, and was doing their job well. The fellow on the #8 basket that day seemed especially adept.

I made a point of thanking the spotters whenever I could find an appropriate moment - mostly because i felt like a lug living only 45 minutes away and not volunteering.

Despite my earlier exchange with Tbird, I feel like I got $7 dollar coverage lol. The video was at least slightly better than past attempts and not just daily wrap ups (the KCWO Affair). However, in my opinion the PDGA needs to treat DGP more than just a side project. They need to fork out the big bucks for professionally trained media users: cameramen, directors, producers, commentators, writers, ACTUAL journalists. Also, while I'm not thrilled with either of them, they need to dump Greenwell. He has no personality, which I can at least say for Crazy, as awkward as he sometimes is.

I've said this before, but there doesn't need to be a whole lot of change for this broadcast to be improved. My suggestions are:

-do 3 events a year. Memorial, worlds, usdgc. Forget all of the other NTs and the NCDGC. the PDGA live coverage and inevitable YouTube videos are fine for those. Go nuts on the big 3 and don't waste resources on the others
-get at least 2-3 field reporters to help fill air time. Crazy and greenwell can be effective if they are given time to collect their thoughts and don't have to ramble. My personal suggestions would be Billy Crump and the guy from CCDG (forgot his name, sorry). This is what cbs, nbc, espn does so well on pga coverage.
-hire a production manager who knows what the F it takes to do a live internet production. Anon was correcting a lot of the problems they had with this broadcast from his computer chair without even being on the scene. The camera men, crew, etc are not doing a bad job. Their major problems stem from being ill prepared when the camera is rolling. This person does not even have to have a clue what disc golf is. They just have to know production, behind the scenes

Latest posts