• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Pro Worlds at Lemon Lake

What's the Vibram Challenge on Wednesday night? Google's not working well for me here...

I assume that the courses can't be played any time this week, except maybe today, by anyone but tournament participants? It seems the tournament proper ends each day with a fair bit of daylight left, but presumably they reserve the for player practice, or just close the courses?

Might be better during the week, but it was fairly outrageous over the weekend at the 3 Floyds brewpup. 90 minute wait to get a table on both Friday night AND Saturday afternoon and you can't even drink a beer while you're waiting, WTF?!? If I'm waiting outside in the rain, I damn well better be able to have a beer. The host was fairly rude about it too.

I bought two cases of Zombie Dust from the carryout so there's no other reason to go back to the brewpub. The host hotel bar has Alpha King, Robert the Bruce, Gumballhead, and Pride & Joy on tap. Old Chicago has all of the above plus Dreadnaught.

And if you drive a mile down the road (409 West 80th st.) to Pete's Liquor Bucket, they have Arctic Panzer Wolf and Apocalypse Cow in 22 oz. bomber bottles. The latter is just a palate wrecking hop BOMB...might be one of the hoppiest beers I've ever had. :eek:

If you don't stop at Crown Brewing in Crown Point, you are really missing out. The Special Forces IPA and Java Porter were to die for, and the bartender is a disc golfer, and just about the friendliest guy I've ever met. He hooked us up with some free stickers and magnets and told us all about other courses in Illinois & Indiana worth visiting. My advice is to go to Crown and get almost as good a beer but without the "too cool for school" attitude. :thmbup:

i just gained 5 pounds reading this post. :\ and now i have to go to the pisser.....

I plan on attending just to watch the leaders on Saturday. Does anyone else do this? I've never been to Lemon Lakes before.

That's what I did for the 2010 Worlds at Lemon Lake...but I'm pretty sure I went down there on Friday, not Saturday.

I brought the dog along and we jumped back and forth between courses to watch the top cards from the MPO and FPO groups.

I still had to pay $4 or $5 to get into the park.

Can someone explain this schedule to me?

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PW2013_Sched_v2.4.pdf

If I am reading it right, the open mens "a" is on the blue course but starts - ???? Is it noon or 8am or is it just the top nine players start at noon? I donno...

Will there be manufacturers there to buy discs and other goodies?

I've never been to this course before. Can anyone suggest a good spot to just sit and watch? I am going to meet my dad there to watch and he's in his 70's so while he may want to follow a card for a little while I am sure he's going to want to find a spot to just sit.

Sorry if these questions seem dumb but I've never been to an event like this and I have no idea what to expect.

-Dave

If I am reading it right, the open mens "a" is on the blue course but starts - ???? Is it noon or 8am or is it just the top nine players start at noon? I donno...

Which day are you looking at?

No. The flymart is Tuesday from 7-10pm at the Holiday Star in Merrillville.

I've never been to this course before. Can anyone suggest a good spot to just sit and watch? I am going to meet my dad there to watch and he's in his 70's so while he may want to follow a card for a little while I am sure he's going to want to find a spot to just sit.

Depends on what you want to see. Blue will allow the guys to flat bomb some drives in the front field by the entrance but white will have more shade to sit and relax in.

Semi-final round involving roughly the top 50 plus ties of the Open men and top 12 plus ties of the Open women is a shotgun start at 8am on the Blue course.

Final 9 for the top four in each division goes off at some point after noon. My guess is it will be tee time starts starting with the bottom of the list (Legends, then Senior GM, then GM Women, then GM Men, etc). Open men probably tees last...I'd guess between 2:30 and 3:00 assuming 15-20 minute intervals in start times.

As for your other question about vendors selling discs, that I have no idea about. I'd imagine someone is going to be selling something, even if it's just the Lemon Lake pro shop.

You could watch a fair amount from the pro shop parking lot. You can see parts of 3 of the regular blue,red and white. Not sure on the how the course is set up for Worlds, though.

Which day are you looking at?

Hahaha oops...I meant Saturday.

Bummer. Can't make it down there then.

Depends on what you want to see. Blue will allow the guys to flat bomb some drives in the front field by the entrance but white will have more shade to sit and relax in.

Okay, I think we'll just have to cruise the course a bit and get a lay of the land and I'll see what strikes my dad's fancy. He plays a little so he has an appreciation for the game. He throws a sah-weet little flick flex shot with my Avenger SS to about 200' lol. And don't tell me it's too fast of a disc for him. He tried it once and it's what he likes and I ain't about to argue with the man.

Bummer. Can't make it down there then.

At last worlds at Lemon Lake, the PDGA folks and volunteers were always there at the main pavilion and they had lots of discs etc for sale. Lots of tournament discs included as well as lots of other merchandise.

I am not involved with the planning and have no inside track on info (maybe Scared Discless does), but I would think they would be financially foolish not to do the same this year.

SD is probably correct that there are not manufacturers there on site, but there should be plenty of souvenirs to be had at the event.

At last worlds at Lemon Lake, the PDGA folks and volunteers were always there at the main pavilion and they had lots of discs etc for sale. Lots of tournament discs included as well as lots of other merchandise.

I am not involved with the planning and have no inside track on info (maybe Scared Discless does), but I would think they would be financially foolish not to do the same this year.

SD is probably correct that there are not manufacturers there on site, but there should be plenty of souvenirs to be had at the event.

That's a good point - the PDGA may have some stuff for sale.

in 2010 DD had their rv set up with a nice spread to fondle through all week and on saturday i rmember huk lab having an ez up with some merch for sale

Did the first rd start yet?and will they post scores throughout the week? I have friends there and I want to see how they are doing.

PW2013_Sched_v2_4.gif

Latest posts