• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Thoughts/2014 Goals

2013: Bought about 40 Gazelles. Watched my backhand game devolve into utter chaos. Sold off stacks upon stacks of discs that weren't seeing any use. Cut way back on molds carried. Started to bring my backhand game back.

2014: Continue improving off of the tee. Consistently hit my spots from the tee (already do on approaches). Do field work at least once a week. Consistently score under par on 9 holes and lower my personal bests on the local 18's. Refrain from buying discs I don't need.

Stop trying to run on every hole and every throw on wooded courses. Had a friend that has never played disc golf the other day that couldn't throw very far, but kept getting great placement shots while I was hitting trees left and right. When I noticed that he was getting around the same scores I knew right then that maybe I was over thinking every shot.
I also need to work on my approach and mid range game, I simply don't have the touch on narrow holes.

2013 Goal: To finally stick by my claim that my bag is set. With it being set, I can then concentrate on absolutely mastering those discs, allowing me to develop consistency. Also, I finally want to have those seasoned discs that people love to brag about.

2013: Reality, by the end of August I had almost nothing in my bag that I started March with. I was definitely playing more consistently throughout the year, finally notching several Intermediate wins, convincing me its time to be mediocre in Advance. However, that consistency came from technique, not necessarily discs.

2014: To finally stick by my claim that my bag is finally set. I think I have a great lineup, but I am still concerned by a few slots. I like the Judge and was planning on moving forward with that for better worse, stopping the putter carousel, but in the last month I switched over to the Warden because it is supposedly to be like a seasoned Judge already. Also, I want to commit to the Z Nebula as my workhorse mid, pairing it with the Buzzz in the woods, but recently I have been throwing the KC Pro Roc just because if I lost one or two during the winter, they are easily replaced, unlike the Nebulas.

Also, in the last two months I have rediscovered the beauty of the Gazelle. Last year at this time I did the same thing with heavy Leopards, and it completely reshaped my bag. I already have it slotted in the bag, I just need to decide on what plastic - I am leaning Star, but I am mainly throwing DX because of the winter.

I want my bag set so when I my tournament season begins in May, by the time the Majestic rolls around (Late June) and then Am Worlds (July), I will be confident that I have the right discs and it will be up to me to simply perform that way I do well at those tournaments. I want to do well enough to earn enough points to qualify for 2015 Am Worlds if I decide to go.

2013: I played my first tournaments this year and they went really well. I got two wins in advanced, and two 2nd places in advanced as well as one 2nd place in open division in a c tier. My max distance increased from 360 to 410-420 and my consistent distance went from 330 to 370-380. My putting got much better as well. Established a solid rating of 973.

2014: I would love to hit 990 or (with a lot of luck) a 1000 rating this year. To do that I think I need to get way better at putting, gain another 50ft of distance, and participate in as many of the local tournaments as I can. I do some field work every day, but not enough constructive, organized field work. Exercising more with a focus on power, flexibility and endurance would help my game a lot too.

Good luck to everyone with your new goals!

2013: Amazing year and learned a ton about my game (physical & mental)
My first full year playing - 13 - PDGA events including AM Worlds - 8 local non-sanctioned events
2 Aces - highest rated round 951 - multiple under par rounds on pretty difficult, long courses. Tons of new friends!

2014: Goals - bogey free rounds( I haven't had one yet) - make the cut to play on Saturday at Am Worlds - bring my rating up to around 925+ (currently 885) - bring my putting game up to the next level (I think I can be around 60-75% in the circle)- more structured field work to increase accuracy and confidence - HAVE MORE FUN and not get pissed about mistakes or expectations during a tourney round.

Quoting from the 2013 goals thread last winter: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79073&page=6

1. Continue field work to improve release consistency
2. Continue putting, learn to add spin to putts when needed to work the disc around obstacles or under low ceiling.
3. Improve focus, eliminate shots missed due to mental distraction
4. Get in the woods and start doing field work actually practicing scramble/recovery shots.
5. Average 990-1000 rated rounds by season's end (currently average game is sitting around 960-980).

I can honestly say that I stuck to my goals and continued to improve for the first half of 2013. I went a little overboard with field work, however, and injured my throwing hand by throwing too much without proper warm up. That put an end to my field work in July and because I was too dumb and didn't give the injury time to heal it just got worse and worse until it got to the point where I had to stop playing altogether long before season ended. Lesson learned.

As for as other bullet points go... I did start working on my spin putt and actually started using it towards the end of the season in tournaments. It has saved me several strokes because I was able to make flex s-shot putts and putts through branches in pine trees/bushes which I would not have been able to make before. I also did work on scramble shots and got a lot better at getting out of trouble which allowed me to be more aggressive both off the tee and when trying to save strokes out of the woods. Mentally I also made progress and did reduce the number of missed shots due to lack of focus, although towards the end of season as my game regressed due to lack of play/practice I did struggle mentally because I was not able to make the shots I knew I could make before. Last but not least, I did raise my game to close to 1000 rated play (had more 1000 rated rounds this year than in all my previous years combined) but due to lack of practice my game has regressed back down to the 940-950 level.

Taking all of the above in, my revised goals for 2014 are:

1. Make sure to warm up properly before all rounds/field work sessions
2. Keep up with basic strength training/toning exercises to prevent further injury
3. Get back to regular field work schedule, but make sure to not over-do it.
4. Average 1000 rated golf by end of season.
5. Move to MPO by summer time.

I have to give it until late April to let my hand heal so my season probably won't start until May. My original plans were to bump to MPO by last fall but since my game took a turn down hill I put those plans on hold...Hoping by June/July I can get back to where I left off.

2013 was a good year for me. I learned more about my game and eliminated some mental mistakes. I wanted to be a better putter throughout th e year and I have become just that. My forehand came around as well as my big distance turnover shot. I've switchedsnd added some discs but have stayed with my core lineup.
I've learned to take the.high percentage shot rather than try and make it every time.
2014 I want to comfortable reach 400 ft with my back hand and be able to throw a forehand 300 ft.
I really want to eliminate the hardest part of my game my mental game. I want to fix some of th at this year. Bad shot so what shake it off not think about it.

2013 went mostly as planned - i played new courses and maintained my rating with fairly consistent play

2014 - i plan to learn how to throw lefty, travel more and perhaps retire from dgcr

(nudgenudgewinkwinksmilie)

Started playing July of 2013, so really didn't have any goals for last year.

Goals for 2014 for me:

1. Play an under par round at SFDGC.
2. Play in at least two "official" tournaments
3. Get my drives up to 350 feet (flat ground, no wind)
4. Have fun!!! (gotta throw in an easy one, and I certainly don't want to lose sight of why I'm playing in the first place)

BDA

Get in better shape, get healthier...in body and mind. Better putting, more playing, more fun...be a better golfer and person. PEACE

- Get that 1000 rated round (been really close a couple times)
- Get to 970
- Win a pdga
- Have fun on the way!

2013: Got back into disc pretty hard core again, got my wife into it a bit (she plays half the time, runs on trails nearby half the time). Started Disc Golf Club this last month to head into 2014 (Hyzer Than You). Improved my forehand distance with the forehand powergrip, easily added 50-75 feet. Met a lot of cool people, some enemies, and played some new courses.

2014: *NOT* buying any plastic unless it comes for free/as an entrance fee gift at a tournament or via trade. Looking to play my first tournament, thinking Stafford Lake will be my first. Threw my first putter only round of the year yesterday and ended up throwing about 50 feet longer with a sinus than my ridges/challengers/aviars, going to keep on toning my putter game before breaking the drivers back out. Taking a trip to Southern California to play some courses and hopefully swap DGCR tags while I am down there. Possible trip to Charlotte area depending on my first quarter bonus~

2013: AWESOME YEAR! started playing tournaments for first time since playing just one ever back in 2009. Played advanced in first one back and got fifth at a course I've never played before so started playing open. played 4 tourneys and avoided dfl each one! got less neurotic at tournaments, learned to play in my comfort zone. hit 2 ace pots, won lots of local doubles rounds. Playing competitively opened up a whole new side of the game that's really fun! Wish i hadn't avoided the "serious" side of the game for so many years. Also developed a terrible plastic buying problem.

2014 goals: join pdga, win a tourney, putt easy, be less mental, get rid of some discs, start disc golf programs for students

2013: Interesting, first season playing all Open events after only playing a few tournaments the year before. Took a step backwards trying to push myself. Actually played myself out of the money a few times throwing stupid "go for broke" type shots. Putted really well all year. Won my summer league and got my hometown Event paid for. Moved in with my girlfriend and acquired a dog with that started saving money! Last tournment I played was a Sh*t show played awful, got poored on thought about taking a break. Got home got my mind right and started having fun again!
2014: I plan on playing at least 10 events plus two of my Favorite charity events. Hope to win The Chains for Wishes again with the Badsmurf after a two year drought.. Continue to put a hurtin' on "The Eldermen" (Eric Marx and James Nichols) in that event! I get to be a Groomsmen in a GREAT friends wedding. I WILL have more fun in PDGA events even if it takes me putting on headphones to drown out the whinners. Mini-tour with good friends. Miss no putts inside the circle. AND Win money on weekends knowing I have a better paying Job to go back to on Monday. This isnt my meal ticket so stop treating it as such!!!! Watch the Penguins win the Stanley Cup and continue to grow my Awesome MAne!!!

2014: *NOT* buying any plastic unless it comes for free/as an entrance fee gift at a tournament or via trade. Looking to play my first tournament, thinking Stafford Lake will be my first. Threw my first putter only round of the year yesterday and ended up throwing about 50 feet longer with a sinus than my ridges/challengers/aviars, going to keep on toning my putter game before breaking the drivers back out. Taking a trip to Southern California to play some courses and hopefully swap DGCR tags while I am down there. Possible trip to Charlotte area depending on my first quarter bonus~

Already bought a bunch of plastic, damn Gstar...

Oh well, at least I have sold more than I have bought (my attempt at rationalizing my problem)~

Last year was a blast! My goal for 2013 was to simply improve putting within the circle and I found several games that have helped me out. I know putting is on the minds of most of us that wish to improve our scores. I really like the Perfect Putt 360 model as well as "All In" which is explained in Discraft's youtube clinic series for those that are interested.

This year, I want the following five things to happen...

1) Improve putting and approaches within 50'
2) Work on distance and control of backhand drives so that they match forehand
3) Play at least one tournament away from my "home" courses
4) Play at least one new course
5) Have fun playing...otherwise there is no point for me!

I've seen some great ideas and lofty goals from those posting before me. Good luck to you all - this should be a great year!

I didn't play from 1999 to last summer when I picked the game back up (read: became re-obsessed.) Thought my shoulder issues would prevent me ever playing again.
But, I seemed to regain my old form pretty quickly so I'd like to play a few tournaments this summer. I registered for the MN Majestic in June and my goal is to finish top half in Advanced. Outside of that, I want to improve all aspects of my game and play more rounds with my fiancee who took an interest last fall.

2013: Played first tournament rounds. Finished rated over 900. Won a tourney in Intermediate. Only finished out of cash (er, plastic) in one tournament of the five I played. My forehand transitioned from non-existent to sometimes servicable.

2014: Get another Intermediate win. Get to the point that they call me a bagger in Intermediate. Build more skill and confidence in my forehand. Work on maintaining confidence and shaking off bad shots. Finish in top half of every event.

2013. Won a national championship. Ran a major. Rating went up to something.

2014. Win a city championship. Run a c tier. Get rating down to something.

Downward goals.

Latest posts