• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Am Worlds...Minneapolis

AndyJB

Big Country
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Okay, 2013 Am Worlds has come and gone, and all the "bagger" debate with it. So time to start talking about....2014 Am Worlds!!!

I'd like to know a few things from DGCR, since we are now a full 365 days out.

1) Who is planning on going? I know we have a lot of locals to the area on here, so we can assume y'all are in. If you are like me, saving up for a week-long event like this will take some serious financial planning...who is making the trip?

2) Most important (and this may be a noobish query) how does one qualify? What do you plan on doing to make the cut? I'm hoping they will run a Junior girls 10 and under next year like the did in 2012 so that my daughter can play

3) Who knows the courses they will be using? What are the course hallmarks that players should be looking out for?

It's never too early to discuss!:thmbup:

A lot of wooded and long technical holes. Expect a huge scoring separation, especially as you get further and further down the standings.

Also expect a lot of locals being near the top because all the courses I have heard being a part of the rotation have fair fairways, but they really play into the hands of those who have played them before and know the lines and what discs and shots work best on those holes.

I plan on attending as my last hurrah as an AM with the pro worlds coming to Pittsburgh. Usually in order to qualify, you need 500 points from tournaments the year before which isn't that hard to do. I already have 800 from official tournaments with close to another 400 coming in from recent tournaments. I don't think it usually sells out from the qualifiers, so they would then open it up to anyone.

Then again, I've played 3 A-tiers in advanced which really helps boost the points, even though I played like crap.

I'm planning to be there, and check out the disc golf scene I've heard and read so much about. Last time I passed through that area was 1994---the year before I discovered disc golf.

We'll see what Life thinks about my plans, though.

I will be there barring a huge increase in rating (doubtful itll be high enough for me to consider myself a bagger for playing by then)

I hope it is as well ran as this last one

I would assume that the courses used would be some combination of:
Blue Ribbon Pines
Kaposia
Hyland Ski Area (Now 2 courses with 27 holes)
Bryant Lake
The Valley
Oakwood
Lakewood Hills

do they have official dates yet? I need to submit a week off of vacation as early as possible to get it. pDGA still says TBD

It sucks they aren't utilizing two of the best courses in the Twin Cities metro area.

It sucks they aren't utilizing two of the best courses in the Twin Cities metro area.

Bryant Lake (arguable) and what else?

An old flyer said these were the eight, but Chuck had also made some comment about the Twin Cities being one of many examples where they didn't use (or won't be using) one of the courses included in the original bid:
CP Adams, Kenwood Trails, Kaposia, The Valley, Oakwood, Lakewood, Acorn, and HSSA)

I suspect the biggest reason BRP would not be used (if that is the case) is because it is 20+ miles away from the nearest course in the group listed above.

2014 AM Worlds

There was some speculation about what courses to use when the bid was first announced here, http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72822.

I believe there is a rule that requires all the courses be within a certain distance of the host hotel. The last I have heard is the Blue Ribbon Pines is too far away and will instead be used only for doubles on the first day, which is BS.
Six courses are pretty much a lock to be used: 1.Kaposia, 2.The Valley, 3.Oakwood, 4.Lakewood Hills, 5.Kenwood Trails, and 6.Hyland Hills. As for the other two spots it looks like it is between Bryant Lake, Acorn, C.P. Adams, Lions park in Shakopee, or Elm Creek.

The dates have been finalized, July 19th to the 26th.
It is posted here, http://www.exploreminnesota.com/events/15694/2014-pdga-amateur-disc-golf-world-championship/details.aspx.

After this year (my first), I'm hooked on the Worlds experience. I will do everything in my power to attend, however, we plan on starting a family this year, so we'll see how that goes... (read: see if I have any time to practice and $$ to go)

After this year (my first), I'm hooked on the Worlds experience. I will do everything in my power to attend, however, we plan on starting a family this year, so we'll see how that goes... (read: see if I have any time to practice and $$ to go)

Not to mention permission.

Latest posts