• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Tourney Videos

No he doesn't. LOL Him cussing and throwing F Bombs out to onlookers does not engage outside people. Actually he is the personification of what hurts disc golf and the stereotype that hurts it the most to try and get my employed friends to try it is that it's a bunch of bipolar stoners. He does not help the sport by acting like a complete *******. Sorry. Paul McBeth guaranteed has brought in more money and people into the sport while hotheads like him and Avery drive people off.

I have to disagree with this. Nikko is interesting to watch and his open displays of frustration make it seem like he gives a damn. The stereotype people have of dg'ers is that they're smelly tree hugging hippy stoners, not "bipolar" stoners.

It's OK to get pissed when you're having a bad round. It's human nature. I'm getting sick of this whole hippy dippy everybody has to be flowers and hugs on the course crap.

Nikko gets just as happy as he gets upset. He doesn't lash out on anyone when he's mad, he's just angry at himself and he lets it out instead of bottling it up. I'm sure his emotions were up higher than normal since he was battling for the lead and every shot mattered that much more.

Nikko's also the type of guy that will hug and shake everyone's hand after a good tournament, and strike up a conversation with complete strangers. It's hard not to like the kid after you actually meet him.

I have to disagree with this. Nikko is interesting to watch and his open displays of frustration make it seem like he gives a damn. The stereotype people have of dg'ers is that they're smelly tree hugging hippy stoners, not "bipolar" stoners.

It's OK to get pissed when you're having a bad round. It's human nature. I'm getting sick of this whole hippy dippy everybody has to be flowers and hugs on the course crap.

I have to disagree with this. I've seen plenty of pissed off hippy's when their Bosses skip 40 ft away on a 100 foot upshot then they two putt with a Roadrunner.

Sure its OK to get PO'd, but the amount of yelling, kicking, profanity screamed doesn't equal the amount of "giving a damn" a person has. That's called impulse control.

Nikko gets just as happy as he gets upset. He doesn't lash out on anyone when he's mad, he's just angry at himself and he lets it out instead of bottling it up. I'm sure his emotions were up higher than normal since he was battling for the lead and every shot mattered that much more.

Nikko's also the type of guy that will hug and shake everyone's hand after a good tournament, and strike up a conversation with complete strangers. It's hard not to like the kid after you actually meet him.
I agree that when he is not competing he is a pretty cool guy in person. I think he's a little bit crazy in competition, perfectionist. It's borderline bad sport, but he is only angry at himself, unlike say John McEnroe who would berate other people. I think it's funny how angry he gets sometimes.

I agree that when he is not competing he is a pretty cool guy in person. I think he's a little bit crazy in competition, perfectionist. It's borderline bad sport, but he is only angry at himself, unlike say John McEnroe who would berate other people. I think it's funny how angry he gets sometimes.

This^

I am not certain, but it sure sounds like its Nikko who is the first to congratulate each guy when they have a good shot. Also, IMO he wasn't that far out of line, seems to me I have seen him a lot worse. :)

A few other thoughts:
Cale as always gets the most style points, dude is the James Dean of disc golf!

Will is pimp on every shot but the long jump puts, looks very uncoordinated on those.

You can tell that Jared has been training with McBeast, but he looks like a giraffe throwing a disc. Arms and legs all over the place! lol

Lastly, maybe it was my stupid laptop monitor, but damn, I had the hardest time keeping my eye on the disc. Probably didn't help that the ground was all pale and yellowish. Mandatory blue discs? :p

All in all, nice work Mcfly, I was eagerly awaiting this and you did not disappoint.

Will is pimp on every shot but the long jump puts, looks very uncoordinated on those.

Will, ever since Worlds last year, has been doing this odd jump putt. It's like a straddle jump putt, but his feet are closer together instead of spread. I know that sounds contradictory, but he comes from his knees and the motion is the same.

He's a victim of the fact that his putting style doesn't translate well to jump putts.

Awesome video! Fun to watch. I was hoping to see some movement, purely out of selfishness, on the leader board, so I could watch others play. This is a fun group to watch though. Nikko is fun to watch, emotional or not. I feel that I expected a bunch of shots to have turned out better, for all the players, but they still shot well. A good mix of conservative/aggressive play by these guys. I look forward to more.

2681.jpg

Maybe Nikko is a great guy off the course, but I think we're all seeing who he really is when he is faced with adversity.

Maybe Nikko is a great guy off the course, but I think we're all seeing who he really is when he is faced with adversity.

You might not recognize it if you don't listen to the sound in that video, but Nikko's the guy who's first and loudest to congratulate his opponents on great drives and made putts, saying "yeah Rick!" and so on.

That he is showing such respect and support for his toughest competitors at a time of high adversity, that's pretty cool in my book.

So what if he is a little demonstrative with his excitement? People are more demonstrative than Nikko in football and basketball and baseball and tennis and hockey and rugby and skiing and NASCAR and billiards and poker and skateboarding and yachting and chess and polo and swimming and diving and cycling and weightlifting and boxing and softball and track and field hockey and volleyball and [fill in any sport I've left out], and that doesn't mean they have poor character.

The people whining about Nikko being demonstrative make no sense to me. The only thing I can figure is these must be the same people who desire disc golf to be just like ball golf. In my opinion that desire is far more dangerous to the future of disc golf than Nikko expressing a little competitive intensity on the course.

Maybe if these people spent more time volunteering on their courses instead of whining about Nikko, we'd have a cleaner and more attractive sport.

The people whining about Nikko being demonstrative make no sense to me. The only thing I can figure is these must be the same people who desire disc golf to be just like ball golf. In my opinion that desire is far more dangerous to the future of disc golf than Nikko expressing a little competitive intensity on the course.

Tiger is at least as demonstrative as Nikko. There are others as well.

OK so I stand corrected, the ball golf explanation makes no sense either.

I understood what you meant and get your point, but that's more in how it's presented than what's actually going on. I mean, Jon Daly used to chain smoke and drink during a round and then just quit and leave in the middle of it. But ball golf does have a classier appearance and reputation, yes.

The people whining about Nikko being demonstrative make no sense to me.

Look at how much Nikko does for the sport. The kid lives and breathes disc golf, yet what does everyone talk about in regards to him? Same with Avery.

You can say he's just being demonstrative, but his tantrums are the norm rather than the exception. He's so much of a distraction that those people recording events include clips of his tatrums. He's not the only one to show frustration, but he's the one who puts on a show.

Deuces' post with the MLK quote sums it up. Your character is exposed when you're at your worst. At his worst, Nikko is a brat.

Nikko really isn't that bad. I've seen and done much worse. He has a bad reputation which I think blows what he does up more then it should be. He's one of my favorite guys to watch play. I think we have many other and much worse image issues to deal with other then Nikko's behavior. As pointed out lost os sports have their "bad boys", (Tiger is one of the worst), but their overall image and stereotypes are much different.

Enjoy Nikko for how he plays and work on things you can.

How about we start a thread about Nikko and keep the this thread focused on the task at hand?

Nikko really isn't that bad. I've seen and done much worse. He has a bad reputation which I think blows what he does up more then it should be. He's one of my favorite guys to watch play. I think we have many other and much worse image issues to deal with other then Nikko's behavior. As pointed out lost os sports have their "bad boys", (Tiger is one of the worst), but their overall image and stereotypes are much different.

Enjoy Nikko for how he plays and work on things you can.

Isn't really that bad? I guess riling up one of the calmest, nicest golfers in our area to the point that the cops had to be called isn't bad (witnessed this first hand). Had the cops not come, Nikko probably wouldn't have been able to pick himself up off the ground, let alone throw a disc. Nikko even had to have an official follow his card the second round to make sure he didn't repeat his behavior.

When you're that much of a distraction and effect others' rounds when they're several holes away, you're a problem.

At that, I'll let this thread return to its intended topic.

Isn't really that bad? I guess riling up one of the calmest, nicest golfers in our area to the point that the cops had to be called isn't bad (witnessed this first hand). Had the cops not come, Nikko probably wouldn't have been able to pick himself up off the ground, let alone throw a disc. When you're that much of a distraction and effect others' rounds when they're several holes away, you're a problem.

That doesn't sound good, lol. I was addressing what I've seen in video's and seen myself. I'm not gonna be privy to every story. We all have our bad days and our even badder days :)

Latest posts