• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Tourney Videos

I don't know about this. They interview many professional athletes in the midst of competition. Pro golfers included at some events. I think with proper pre arrangement, you might find some willing participants. There are guys out there loose enough to not let a 20 second interview toss them off their game.

Who? When? Not knocking, I just can't think of anyone doing interviews in the midst of competition, with the exception of football coaches before/after halftime.

Golfers during a round? I don't know that I've ever seen that, certainly not from anyone in contention.

I've seen some pros get interviewed mid-round during a backup on a tee. It's not often done so I don't remember the last time I saw it, but I am always wondering whether the interviewer is doing the right thing.

Who? When? Not knocking, I just can't think of anyone doing interviews in the midst of competition, with the exception of football coaches before/after halftime.

Golfers during a round? I don't know that I've ever seen that, certainly not from anyone in contention.

I have seen it in golf. Feraday guy interviewing golfer while walking away from the teebox. Granted, it was likely more of a pro/am deal, opposed to a major. Baseball from dugouts. Hockey in timeouts. I realize there are slight differences, but my point is we all have different level of focus. Some not find stopping to have a brief chat with a camera as offputting, if not surprised by it.

So my buddy Derek and I will be filming the Wintertime Open at Oak Grove in Pasadena on Sunday (2 cam lead card).

http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/16433

Does anyone have ideas on how to make the videos better?

Anyone you want an in the bag with?

Anyone you want interviewed? (Feel free to suggest questions)

Or really anything else, I'm open to ideas. If there's something you guys would do filming wise at a tourney, that I'm not doing, let me know! Always trying to make better vids for you guys.

Thanks!

Ian / CCDG

Well,,,since you asked.

1. Put a mic on one of the players. (with their permission and the cards approval of course).

2. This next suggestion may be harder than it sounds. Maybe a "real-time video" along with the way it is done now. Let me explain. On a typical hole lets see more of the players getting into a throwing position and more reactions to the outcome of the throws. For example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzAy14J15UE Go to 4:49.
Let the drama of the moment play out a little longer. You can still do the faster pace "only throws" video. But it would be nice to build up some suspense.

3. In the commentary, build up the big moments a little more. Tell the viewers that player x needs to have a good drive or player b is going to be hard to catch.
4. Maybe graphics that say say " player a is 2 back" during a hole(more so near the end of the last round). or "Must make for a tie".
5. Live commentary, I know "canned" commentary is easier and probably makes more sense for the type of videos you produce. But you can't replace the feel of being there.

I watch all your videos and enjoy them greatly and will continue to watch even if you hate my suggestions.

Central Coast Disc Golf is the best out there by far (It used to be Disc Golf Monthly) - and I watch them all. You should ask all the people who put on the no commentary boring videos if you can overdub them with commentary. You guys are awesome.
I loved the pro-tips from Jeff Faes you put in the Santa Maria Coverage - you should do this whenever you can. Thanks again - you should put up a Paypal Tip Jar

Hey Ian - Firstly, I think you guys do a great job. One of the things I particularly like about most of your videos is that the commentators clearly know the course, and have apparently done a fair amount of research on places you don't want to be on various holes. :p

I realize that this suggestion is not practical when you commentate lcgm8 videos, but if you are filming in person at a course that you haven't played much, can you squeeze in a round or three either before or after the tournament? Hands-on experience with a course gives the commentary a certain immediacy ("Ahh, I hit that jerk branch and kicked way down the ravine. Took me three shots to get out."

Keep up the good work!

Thanks so much!

I definitely agree about playing the course, I'm gonna try to squeeze in a round this weekend after the pros are done Saturday. I've never played Oak Grove so I really want to. That is if my legs are still functioning after filming two rounds. :p

final nine time!! killin em in the snow area not being able to watch these nasty vids. I was in norcal over xmas and just let me say you guy need to truly appreciate that weather! ... but lemme see who wins! :p

keep up the great work. any CCDG stamped discs?

I really enjoyed you guys having some fun with MurderMike in one of your vids.

I'd like to see you film at more varied locations. We see a lot of the same courses over and over. Of course, I'm not the one driving and taking all of the time to do the work, so... Keep on doing what you're doing! Great work! And I appreciate the funnies from Mrs. CCDG! :clap:

Thanks for your work - I have enjoyed watching the recent videos. I really appreciate the fact that you put the disc name on the screen. Hole info signs are a must as well.

I would like it if you had text saying Birdie, Par, etc when they make their putt, that would be helpful.

I guess having non-commentary versions are a great option. I haven't minded the commentators too much.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the nice words!

The birdie par thing on putts is a nice idea. I'll see how much extra work this is. I try to say it in the commentary so it might be slightly redundant.

I'll try to be better about including the non commentary versions. I was good about it, but then got a bit lazy.

Well,,,since you asked.

1. Put a mic on one of the players. (with their permission and the cards approval of course).

2. This next suggestion may be harder than it sounds. Maybe a "real-time video" along with the way it is done now. Let me explain. On a typical hole lets see more of the players getting into a throwing position and more reactions to the outcome of the throws. For example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzAy14J15UE Go to 4:49.
Let the drama of the moment play out a little longer. You can still do the faster pace "only throws" video. But it would be nice to build up some suspense.

3. In the commentary, build up the big moments a little more. Tell the viewers that player x needs to have a good drive or player b is going to be hard to catch.
4. Maybe graphics that say say " player a is 2 back" during a hole(more so near the end of the last round). or "Must make for a tie".
5. Live commentary, I know "canned" commentary is easier and probably makes more sense for the type of videos you produce. But you can't replace the feel of being there.

I watch all your videos and enjoy them greatly and will continue to watch even if you hate my suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions, and thanks for watching! I like the ideas, and I'll incorporate what I can. :)

Central Coast Disc Golf is the best out there by far (It used to be Disc Golf Monthly) - and I watch them all. You should ask all the people who put on the no commentary boring videos if you can overdub them with commentary. You guys are awesome.
I loved the pro-tips from Jeff Faes you put in the Santa Maria Coverage - you should do this whenever you can. Thanks again - you should put up a Paypal Tip Jar

Thanks so much! I've actually offered to do commentary for other channels, so far LCGM8 is the only one to take me up on it.

I'm not above taking tips! My paypal is [email protected] if anyone wants to help me out with a little gas money :) It's always greatly appreciated. I still have a couple CCDG dyemax discs I'm selling for 30 shipped so there's that too.

final nine time!! killin em in the snow area not being able to watch these nasty vids. I was in norcal over xmas and just let me say you guy need to truly appreciate that weather! ... but lemme see who wins! :p

keep up the great work. any CCDG stamped discs?

O man I was so annoyed today. I stayed up super late last night so I could start the upload, and then youtube failed to process the video. I had to upload it again when I got home from work. It's up now though!

Thanks! O man I do appreciate the weather! I grew up in Portland, OR. My folks keep trying to get me to move back, but I can't give up perfect disc golf weather year round. San Diego weather is unreal.

I do have some CCDG dyemax disc for sale! ($30 shipped, my paypal is [email protected] and just include what you want and shipping address) I currently have:

1 Blue Lucid Truth -173
3 Pinnacle Rivals - both 174
1 white Star Katana - 168 (bottom stamp)
1 white Star Wraith - 175 (bottom stamp)
1 Orange C Line Discmania DD - 175

All proceeds go to gas money, and hopefully getting a nicer monopod w/ a gimbal head. O yeah and diapers, wholly **** my kid goes through them fast.

My only ccdg input...

It was noted that you guys got into a short cycle of vids that had a load of pronounced guttural "eeewwww" reactions (Copenhagen comes to mind). I was encouraged that you got that back in check on recent ones. Good recovery. Once and a while is ok as it shows that reaction.

Oh, and with the lgcm commentary tracks. Keep pressing JR or Jussi or whoever for as much interesting course related stuff you can get from them. For example, I could tell that the Estonian seemed to be on site of a ski jumping facility, or Nordic ski tracks but nothing was said. Any tidbits can bring some enhancement when it's not your home turf. make 'em give you more than you could ever use!

Best of luck!

Last edited: