• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2015 Ace Race Disc

JRW III

Double Eagle Member
Anyone hear anything about what the 2015 Ace Race Disc will be? We are a month out from the first Ace Race, so I would think the official announcement should be coming soon.

Time for a mid - something between a Buzzz and a Hawk - i.e. perfectly straight, like a Mako or Axis.

Thought I heard somewhere that 2015 will be a putter.
And since the question is inevitable:
•2003: Breeze
•2004: Glide
•2005: Slipstream
•2006: Meteor
•2007: Impact
•2008: Nebula
•2009: Focus
•2010: Hornet
•2011: Zeppelin
•2012: Zombee
•2013: Mantis
•2014: Heat
•2015: ???

I doubt they'll go driver again. :popcorn:

Last edited:
I am guessing putter or mid. Last several years have been drivers and there has been a lot of feedback wanting a putter or mid for shorter holes.

Anything but an understable driver... I did not participate in the last two Ace Races because of these. I want beef. Or at least something neutral.
FWIW: Ti Ace Race Mantises (Manti :confused:) are pretty beefy. Production runs in Z are somewhat understable. IMO, they fill two different spots in your fairway/control driver lineup.... hard to believe their the "same." During a tourney sponsored by Discraft, I asked someone who worked for them why they were so different and was told they tweaked something based on feedback from the Ace Race, because that wasn't what they intended the disc to be, but he wouldn't tell if they tweaked the mold or made some change in their manufacturing process (how a disc cools after molding has a big effect on stability).

Last edited:
Time for a mid - something between a Buzzz and a Hawk - i.e. perfectly straight, like a Mako or Axis.

Um....they already have the BuzzzSS (dead straight for power players) or Comet (dead straight for finesse players). Discraft already has mids covered.

A putter is the right answer.

Last edited:
Um....they already have the BuzzzSS (dead straight for power players) or Comet (dead straight for finesse players). Discraft already has mids covered.

A putter is the right answer.

Agreed. Discraft's strongest part of their lineup has been mids for quite some time. They are lacking a hit driver so they've been taking a stab at it in the Ace Race, with (imho) very limited success.

A modern putter would be a great addition to their lineup. They don't really have anything flat topped and shallow like an Envy or Colt (that I'm aware of...). The Envy is one of MVP's best discs, and would be AMAZING for an Ace Race, and interest in the Colt seems sky high both here and based on the discussions I've overheard/participated in at the local brick/mortar shop. So hopefully Discraft had the foresight to jump on this bandwagon.

A modern putter would be a great addition to their lineup. They don't really have anything flat topped and shallow like an Envy or Colt (that I'm aware of...). The Envy is one of MVP's best discs, and would be AMAZING for an Ace Race, and interest in the Colt seems sky high both here and based on the discussions I've overheard/participated in at the local brick/mortar shop. So hopefully Discraft had the foresight to jump on this bandwagon.

Something based on the Zone shape but not as overstable would be fantastic.

FWIW: Ti Ace Race Mantises (Manti :confused:) are pretty beefy. Production runs in Z are somewhat understable. IMO, they fill two different spots in your fairway/control driver lineup.... hard to believe their the "same." During a tourney sponsored by Discraft, I asked someone who worked for them why they were so different and was told they tweaked something based on feedback from the Ace Race, because that wasn't what they intended the disc to be, but he wouldn't tell if they tweaked the mold or made some change in their manufacturing process (how a disc cools after molding has a big effect on stability).

I was told that the disc (before it was named Mantis) would be an understable fairway, long before registration was open. I was mad when I learned they were somewhat overstable for sure.

Agreed. Discraft's strongest part of their lineup has been mids for quite some time. They are lacking a hit driver so they've been taking a stab at it in the Ace Race, with (imho) very limited success.

This

They have so many molds, maybe they should go with something that makes the Birdie Bash fun to play and not worry about where it fits in the lineup. Not every BB disc goes into production, nor should it.

Latest posts