• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2015 Ace Race Disc

Just finished my first ace race. I got skunked but my brother's friend won with 2 aces. A bunch of people had 1, but no one else got to 2 with 36 throws.

I would add on that the shirts are small, and I found mine tight in the shoulders (perhaps not best for DG). I may ditch the sleeves and go suns out guns out.

The discs fly very straight, with no turn and a little fade. This was the case both forehand and back. What a lot of us found with the discs was that they were scuffing up easy. Perhaps more concerning was that once you hit a tree, the dome on the disc seemed to collapse (invert). I think this would make a great putter, but it would need to be in better plastic.

Played in my local ace race yesterday, sadly no aces but I did get metal and won a raffle. It was a lot of fun. I've pretty much always thrown baseline plastic so I didn't find it as weak or fragile as others mentioned... Maybe it's just what I'm used to. I normally putt and drive off the pad with a wizard. I liked the shallowness of this disc compared to a wizard, I found it easy to get a clean release. The disc had no fade at the end, but did not turn over easily, I also found that it seemed to get its distance from speed rather than glide. Overall a good disc imo.

I wish they would revisit more molds in a baseline or mid plastic. The Wasp AND Hornet in Pro-D and X are discs I have wanted to see for years and years and years.

Played in one today, those putters were tricky for me to figure out. Got a blue domey 172 and a pink puddle 167 I never did get a straight flight out of the pink, and the blue always wanted to do the opposite of what I was hoping for.

Got 1 metal, no aces, and had fun. I doubt I bag the discs though.

Ames IA ace race champ! I had a light blue domey and a black concave. Major difference between the two in stability. Had a bad first round with the blue and immediately turned it on when I started throwing the concave one. This is my 4th or 5th ace race and it was my favorite disc by far.

Ames ace race 2nd place! The discs were quite comfortable. I tested them in the parking lot with some drives. They react predictably to wind, and have some good glide. New they seem to fight out of anny nice and slow, but can hold lines to the ground with enough height/power. A very versatile putter that will surely make it into many bags.

I retract my earlier statement, I guess I prefer my putters to hold a line, imo these really want to straighten out no matter how you release. I find my wizards hold a line much better. But I think this dead straight aspect might be appealing to some.

I played an Ace Race yesterday and we took our discs out to a field to test them out before the round started. At first, I tried just straight up driving with one to see how it reacted. They do not take full power without a bunch of hyzer. My full power throw with a ton of hyzer slowly flipped to flat and rode that way to the ground. Powered down, it would hold big sweeping hyzers and sky annys. For many of the holes I was taking a slight hyzer approach and tended to always land within 8 feet of the basket. What I really liked, was when I would walk to the my disc and pick up other peoples discs and toss them back to them, I would toss them like I was putting and I was getting it to each person chest high center mass exactly where I was aiming. I am going to pick up more this winter and work on my putts. I feel like it could work for longer putts. Great Job Discraft.

P.S. I feel the disc is a Focus with the bead removed. Some had said it compares to a Yeti Pro Aviar.

Kind of an old thread, but I'll go ahead anyway. A lot of people talk about using a current production run disc for the ace race, and I've had the same thought. Instead of having a new disc to try out, show up and throw something that others love and maybe learn to love it yourself. What would be cool is it they used current discs, but sent different molds to different events. Some of the deal with the ace race is speculation on what the disc will be and not knowing what you'll get until you get there would be intense. Also, think of the market for some of the discs afterwards, limited runs with ace race stamps would be pretty cool.

Ames IA ace race champ! I had a light blue domey and a black concave. Major difference between the two in stability. Had a bad first round with the blue and immediately turned it on when I started throwing the concave one. This is my 4th or 5th ace race and it was my favorite disc by far.

Same experience...tough round with orange domey (wanted to dive right on my rhbh) and much better round with lime green concave. I actually really like the concave disc and find myself using it on a number of different holes demanding straight line shots off the tee. I've never had a putter I've enjoyed driving with this much.

Won with one metal and one ace.

Plastic: Pleasantly surprised with grip but typical Pro D that looks like it went through a grater after one round. Not as waxy feeling as Pro D of the recent past.

Specs: One lime green with slight dome, one black that's very concaved. Both ~172-174g

Flight: Afraid to throw the concave one for fear of losing it but it slays at putting. Very point-and-shoot straight putter, easy to judge drop-rate. Concave one is noticeably more understable than the domey one. Had a bit of trouble dialing them in, under-powered it'll fade out annoyingly and it's easy to OAT into a wobbly turnover. Really needs clean, wristy snap to behave. I think once you beat the fade out of them they'll be nice putters to pop on a slight hyzer and float on a rail. I wouldn't call them terribly glidey putters though.

Conclusion: Definitely considering it for putting duties. Comfy grip, easy straightness and predictable glide really fit my low spin spush putting style. As a thrower, eh, that's what I have a Polecat and Breaker for.

I played an Ace Race yesterday and we took our discs out to a field to test them out before the round started. At first, I tried just straight up driving with one to see how it reacted. They do not take full power without a bunch of hyzer. My full power throw with a ton of hyzer slowly flipped to flat and rode that way to the ground. Powered down, it would hold big sweeping hyzers and sky annys. For many of the holes I was taking a slight hyzer approach and tended to always land within 8 feet of the basket. What I really liked, was when I would walk to the my disc and pick up other peoples discs and toss them back to them, I would toss them like I was putting and I was getting it to each person chest high center mass exactly where I was aiming. I am going to pick up more this winter and work on my putts. I feel like it could work for longer putts. Great Job Discraft.

P.S. I feel the disc is a Focus with the bead removed. Some had said it compares to a Yeti Pro Aviar.
I agree with pretty much all of this. Beadless Focus is my guess.

The mold seemed really inconstant. There were puddle tops and domes and flats. I got a flat and a dome then traded the dome for a puddle. Upon further inspection, the PLH of the two is also significantly different. The flat is much lower than the puddle(however, the puddle's PLH was dead-on when I compared it to both of another player's discs[one was even domey]). They are definitely both under stable, but the puddle I could get straight lines with a slight hyzer. The flat one with the low PLH: I was severely hyzer flipping [45-55 degrees] to a slight anhyzer finish on 80% power, rollers at 100% (the 150-200 ft distances of the ace race layout). I don't dislike the mold at all, but I going to wait and see how the production runs turn out before I commit. I'd love to see something like this in a slightly more stable plastic too.

Thats A good question.I was also wondering if that much variation is normal in a prototype mold? Can we expect production to be more consistent?(if produced)

ROACH?

This makes me LOL. Is it for real? Found i on reddit here.

tzxscX0.jpg

This makes me LOL. Is it for real? Found i on reddit here.

tzxscX0.jpg

We have a new leader in the clubhouse for goofiest/dumbest production stamp. Plus, a little too much like the whole 420 issue Vibram had, and he is smoking too. This couldn't just be anything but intentional. Sure, choosing a bug is fine, but does it have to be this. I am all for anyone doing what they want with their own body, but this is stupid. Kids do play disc golf, and there is a reason Joe Camel isn't around anymore.

Last edited: