• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Beaver State Fling presented by Keen Footwear

Bullseye

2015 Beaver State Fling
presented by Keen Footwear, Next Adventure & Innova Disc Golf
A PDGA National Tour Elite Series event

Once again Stumptown Disc Golf is partnering with KEEN Footwear, Next Adventure and Innova Disc Golf to bring you the 2015 Beaver State Fling on the weekend of June 12th - 14th, 2015. This PDGA National Tour Elite Series event will take place at Milo McIver State Park in Estacada, Oregon, where two spectacular 18 hole courses play along the banks of the Clackamas River. Due to its long tradition of excellence, the Beaver State Fling (www.beaverstatefling.com) draws the best disc golfers in the world back to the beautiful Pacific Northwest year after year. Once again, tournament directors Jeff Mittl and Jeff Hagerty have joined forces to carry on the tradition.

In addition to the NT and the A-Tier we will also have plenty of side events and activities to entertain the masses before, during and after the rounds, including our epic 18 hole mini disc golf course. As with years past, we will again be using both the East and West courses which are played as pro par sixty-one with lengths in excess of 8000 feet.

As we have in years past, we will be offering 160 Professional spots for the NT event, and 144 Amateur spots for the A-Tier event. As always, we are hoping more ladies will make the trip this year to compete for the crown and help round out the field of competitors. Professional divisions will be playing 2 rounds on Friday, competing for the choice mid-day tee times on Saturday. Their final round will be held on Sunday to wrap up the weekend of competition. The Amateur Divisions will be playing two rounds on Saturday with tee times. The first round will be in the morning and the second round will be in the later part of the afternoon. The third and final round will be with tee times on Sunday morning.

Ratings Based Professional Registration:
Due to the overwhelming demand for this event and our own desire to attract the very best players this sport has to offer we will once again be instituting tiered, ratings-based registration for the NT side of the event.

Here is how tiered, ratings-based registration will work:
• Phase 1: 03/09/2015 @ 6:00pm PST - Registration opens for all 1000+ rated Professional players, plus all FPO women.
• Phase 2: 03/23/2015 @ 6:00pm PST - Registration opens for all 980+ rated professional players, plus all age-based professional divisions.
• Phase 3: 04/06/2015 @ 6:00pm PST - Registration opens for all remaining professional players.

Important Notes:
• Do not ignore your registration window. This event will fill quickly.
• We will have division size caps in place to ensure non-MPO divisions remain viable.
• Anyone attempting to register before their tier is open will have their registration rejected.
• We require at least 4 players to create a division.

Professional Division Sizes:
(Note: these may change slightly based on registration trends. For example: If we receive more than 20 FPO registrations in the first phase of registration we will accept those entries.)

Division - Initial # of Slots
MPO - 80
FPO - 20
MPM - 32

This leaves 28 slots available for "other" professional divisions provided they meet the four players per division requirement.

Amateur Registration:
Registration for the amateur side of this event has proven to be quite the undertaking in the past. Historically, the event has filled so quickly that registration felt more like a case of who has the best internet connection, or who can race home to get registered in time. In an attempt to make this as fair as possible for everyone, and with the support of our sponsors, we will again be holding a lottery for amateur registration. You must be a current PDGA member in order to enter the lottery.

We will open BSF lottery pre-registration AT 6:00PM on 03/16/2015 and it will remain open until 3/30/2015. During that time period anyone who would like to play in the event can pre-register for the lottery at no cost. At the end of the pre-registration window we will sort all prospective players by division and begin randomly pulling names. We will then send an email to those people containing an email link where they can formally register for the event. Players who are selected will have 2 weeks to register for the event, after which time their slot is forfeited and it goes back in to the pool.

Once the event has filled, all remaining names from the initial two week pre-registration window will be randomly sorted and placed on the waiting list. If a slot opens we will pull names from the waiting list in order.

Important Notes:
• We will have division size caps in place to ensure non-MA1 divisions remain viable.
• We require at least 4 players to create a division.

Amateur Division Sizes:
(Note: these may change slightly based on registration trends.)

Division - Initial # of Slots
MA1 - 72
FA1 - 16
MM1 - 32

This leaves 24 slots available for "other" amateur divisions provided the division meets the four players per division requirement.

We understand some people may not approve of our lottery system, but after much deliberation we decided this method of registration was as fair as we could possibly make it. We hope people understand the dilemma we face when putting on an event with far greater demand than available spots.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us through the Beaver State Fling website.

Jeff Mittl & Jeff Hagerty - CO-TDs

2015 Beaver State Fling

Jeff: as a MS1 player, would I be eligible for another division (say, MG1) if not enough of us 60+ guys preregister?

Such a great event and I'm looking forward to being a part of this this year. Hopefully I can get in through the lottery, if not volunteer or spectate at the least. But I'll be there! :clap:

Odd that there are only 3 posts here. This is an NT event. I would think it would have drawn more attention here. Anyway. I was one of the lucky ams that drew a slot in the lottery! I can't wait. I know I'll be playing way out of my skill level, but oh well. I'm sure I won't be in last. Look forward to seeing you fellas up there next weekend!

Odd that there are only 3 posts here. This is an NT event. I would think it would have drawn more attention here.

I think it's that lull between filling up and the tourney started. Anyway to hype it up a bit I thought I'd let you know what's going on DG media land.

We'll (CCDG) be there and filming MPO lead card with next day vids. We'll also have another camera crew which will be filming either MPO chase, or FPO lead. That depends on what McFly films. He'll also be there doing next day vids. EMVlife will also be there, but I don't think they're doing next day vids.

Question for the gallery. Would you prefer we try to edit both rounds first day with no commentary, or do the 2nd round only with commentary?

Also keep an eye on r/discgolf. We'll be putting up a poll on what cards you want us to film the first round.

I'm excited, hopefully you guys are too! Love this course, and it's my first time at BSF. :clap:

I really enjoy the commentary you guys provide, so if that means we would have to wait longer for the second round, I'd be ok with that.

I don't think commentary is necessary, I'm not against it as I do prefer yours. But next day footage is what is more important to me at least.

Couldn't you re upload (same footage) with adding commentary at a later date. Problem solved! Everyone's happy

Thanks for the feedback guys!

So to clarify, any round posted w/o commentary we will go back and do it during the week after and get it posted.

So your options for day 1 are:

Round 1 and 2 - no commentary (commentary versions posted later in the week)

or

Round 2 with commentary (round 1 will be posted later in the week with commentary)

There's only 1 round saturday so commentary should be easy to do.

Only 1 round Sunday, but I've gotta fly home. I think we can still get up next day vids, but no commentary. (again commentary version will be posted later).

:thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:

Right on. Look forward to seeing y'all there. Unfortunately, you won't be seeing me on any film as I'm an amateur. Might see me in the background shank one into a tree or 50 though.

I'm going to vote for rounds 1 and 2 without commentary. If you haven't been you're going to have a blast following the lead card on Sunday. Thanks again CCDG!

Hey Ian - You will love the Beaver State Fling! I'll get there on Wednesday, probably taking train and bus from the airport to get to Estacada for a practice round. If you're going to play any before filming we should hook up. AJ and Dallas will be there, so if you need players for commentary they should be available. And I can help carry a beverage for you on Sunday for the lead card (I'll have one of the earliest tee times, playing MG1).

Milo is a gorgeous setting for disc golf and very fun to play. Portland has great food and beer and a wonderful funky vibe, so you should have a good week!

I'm split but leaning toward round 2 with commentary. I think that really sets your videos apart from the rest.

Hey Ian - You will love the Beaver State Fling! I'll get there on Wednesday, probably taking train and bus from the airport to get to Estacada for a practice round. If you're going to play any before filming we should hook up. AJ and Dallas will be there, so if you need players for commentary they should be available. And I can help carry a beverage for you on Sunday for the lead card (I'll have one of the earliest tee times, playing MG1).

Milo is a gorgeous setting for disc golf and very fun to play. Portland has great food and beer and a wonderful funky vibe, so you should have a good week!

Thanks Allen! Can't wait to get up there. Do you know where everyone is staying? I'll be close to Beaverton/SW Portland (staying with my folks). I'd love to try to get AJ on for commentary. He's got a great voice, and is hilarious.

I'm planning on playing / taking pictures / taking video on Thursday. Trying to get out there in the AM. What's your schedule?

I wish I would have some time to enjoy Portland, but with next day vids I probably won't get a chance. :( I did grow up there though. If you guys go out to eat downtown hit up Tasty N Alder. My new favorite restaurant in Portland.

I'm going to vote for rounds 1 and 2 without commentary. If you haven't been you're going to have a blast following the lead card on Sunday. Thanks again CCDG!

You bet! Thanks!

I'm split but leaning toward round 2 with commentary. I think that really sets your videos apart from the rest.

Agree with you on it setting us apart. I think the plan will be to edit both rounds, and if we have time, do commentary on one of them.

I also talked with Marty and we're going to try to avoid covering the same card as much as possible. So get ready for lots of awesome next day coverage.

Last edited:
Question for the gallery. Would you prefer we try to edit both rounds first day with no commentary, or do the 2nd round only with commentary?

What made CCDG so great was the awesome commentary you provided. McFly videos are well filmed but they are no different that 90% of the videos out there because they take the easy route of film, edit and post. Anyone can post an edited video but what takes real talent (and effort) is being able to provide quality commentary.

Don't be a lemming and follow the crowd. Keep the high quality videos that have made you great, don't change your format.

What made CCDG so great was the awesome commentary you provided. McFly videos are well filmed but they are no different that 90% of the videos out there because they take the easy route of film, edit and post. Anyone can post an edited video but what takes real talent (and effort) is being able to provide quality commentary.

Don't be a lemming and follow the crowd. Keep the high quality videos that have made you great, don't change your format.

It's funny you say McFly is no different from the rest. When he first started producing videos there wasn't as much DG coverage but the few that did it usually provided commentary or dubbed music over the tourney footage. As with all commentary, there was a lot of love it or hate it feedback from viewers. Music also couldn't make everyone happy as everyone has different tastes. Marty wanted to be different from the rest and just produce HD content with no sounds - just disc golf. That's how he separated himself from the rest.

Just an observation.

Latest posts