• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Beaver State Fling presented by Keen Footwear

Yep the SM57 and SM58 are basically the same mic with a different grill. I've had a number of SM57 and 58's(and Beta58 and 87s) in rental stock for the last 20 years or so and they have taken about as much abuse as you can image. I've also sold a lot of them over the years and never had complaints.

Only reason I recommend the 57 over the 58 is because it comes packaged with the X2U adapter and it's much cheaper that way(I can't post the price online). The vast majority of the reviews of the X2U are great, the other few reviews I suspect are using mics not quite matched to the device spec or the device is defective(every manufacturer has some defectives out the box which is a simple warranty issue). The only issue I'm aware of is it's not compatible with Windows 7. If you do end up having an unlikely issue with it, I know the factory rep and can help.

With a mixer setup you still need to get the audio to the computer either via USB, or Firewire which would be susceptible to the same issues. Or record onto solid state or CD and then transfer it, and sync/edit. The only reason I'd recommend a mixer is if you are going to do more than 2 mics or want tone control. Even still you need to pay attention the specs, especially on the cheaper products and make sure they are compatible.

Thanks Guys!

Sidewinder if you're serious I will take you up on that! Shoot me an email at centralcoastdiscgolf at gmail when you have time, and we can figure it out.

Anon if I get the X2U adapter does that count as a basic mixer or interface? or is that something else I need?

(pardon the ignorance)
When am I not serious? :rolleyes:

The X2U is all you need.

The only reason I'd recommend a mixer is if you are going to do more than 2 mics or want tone control.
This right here is the only reason i'd recommend some sort of mixing interface. The ability to grow. Multiple channels will give you the ability to add more people on commentary and control the mix you are sending into the computer.

Yes. It will still need to get there via USB or Firewire (which I've always felt was cleaner than USB but thats anecdotal). Depending on what kind of machine you edit on you might also be able to bring in the mix via 1/8" 'microphone' jack or an optical audio input. I think both would be preferable to USB/Firewire if your machine has the ability.

That SM57 + X2U as a combo package is a great place to start though. That should be an instantly noticeable upgrade that won't break the bank.

lol you got me there Sidewinder!

Thanks guys for the help guys. Very much appreciated!

And thanks Sidewinder for the deal!

I tried to watch the 4K video of the final round, but gave up after a few holes.
Not only was the Prodigy sponsored video jumpy, and jittery, but there was no commentary, and no hole info, so I gave up on it before it gave me a headache. :(

So then I watched the chase card video. It was much better. Smooth video, hole info, and commentary. "Sick shot" :clap: you dont hear that from Greg Norman.

So that, and the Innova playoff coverage win, hands down, fire all the other chucklehead 4K wannabes. Get a damn Red camera. :|

Latest posts