• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Beaver State Fling presented by Keen Footwear

This times 100. Marty has been slipping lately in this regard.

I doubt he's doing that on purpose. Often times it happens with fast players like Ricky - especially after they throw a bad shot and are just rushing themselves. The camera can only get into position and start filming so quickly.

Not my quote, but True. When par is not set correctly.

If you had a mattress stuffed with twigs you would sleep best by ignoring it and focusing on finding the softest spot on the floor. Only after trying out a feather bed would you see that a mattress has value.

To continue this analogy, I can sleep well without a mattress and I can play a disc golf hole without knowing its par. Some people need a feather bed or an Ambien to sleep well, but that doesn't make it valuable to everyone. Sure, sleeping on sticks would be uncomfortable, but a better comparison in disc golf would be playing a hole without knowing where the basket is.

If par is a worthwhile metric to you then have at it, but I was just amused by how far you were taking it by trying to put a formula around it to determine how well you are doing against other players.

Par will never be "set correctly" for that purpose using only whole numbers...

I doubt he's doing that on purpose. Often times it happens with fast players like Ricky - especially after they throw a bad shot and are just rushing themselves. The camera can only get into position and start filming so quickly.
That is an absolute possibility. I have had the privilege of being filmed by Marty on 4 different occasions. While I agree your point does happen from time to time it has been happening with much more frequency lately. he missed at least 10 shots on the final round of the BSF video alone. I am a big fan of Marty but he needs to work on getting into place and ready to film faster. It IMO is greatly affecting the quality of his product.

I'm a huge marty fan, and I'm not in the camp of being a prodigy hater and judging his videos harshly on that at all like some people, but it really does seem like his videos are not as good as they were last year, and it seems like mostly an editing thing

One of the weirdest things I noticed on the BSF footy was how you could not see any of the baskets that were tucked in the woods. it was just a black mass where the shade would be. The baskets show up perfectly on CCDG's coverage. I thought that maybe outside of Spin TV Marty had one of the best cameras out there. so weird. I was thinking it might have had something to do with my TV and the settings?

One of the weirdest things I noticed on the BSF footy was how you could not see any of the baskets that were tucked in the woods. it was just a black mass where the shade would be. The baskets show up perfectly on CCDG's coverage. I thought that maybe outside of Spin TV Marty had one of the best cameras out there. so weird. I was thinking it might have had something to do with my TV and the settings?

It was the same on my tv. He probably should have adjusted his camera settings (white balance?) to something more neutral.

I notice this as well. It seemed when the entire shot was in the shade it wasn't bad because the focus was adjusted. However, when someone was say putting from the sun into the shade it looked like a black mass.

Personally, I thought Marty's sunny shots looked a little bit clearer than CCDG's, but CCDG's shots allowed you to see both the sunny shots and into the shade. However, I don't know anything about filming, so I don't know if that's a camera thing or a settings thing.

I notice this as well. It seemed when the entire shot was in the shade it wasn't bad because the focus was adjusted. However, when someone was say putting from the sun into the shade it looked like a black mass.

Personally, I thought Marty's sunny shots looked a little bit clearer than CCDG's, but CCDG's shots allowed you to see both the sunny shots and into the shade. However, I don't know anything about filming, so I don't know if that's a camera thing or a settings thing.
it surprised me that he didn't open up his lens a bit more as he zoomed in on the area around the baskets. his camera work has always been pretty solid.

to be completely fair though.. those lighting conditions can be tough to expose for. you have a super bright area out in the field that is lit very well with all the initial action of your shot leading into a super dark area that the action is moving towards.

to be completely fair though.. those lighting conditions can be tough to expose for. you have a super bright area out in the field that is lit very well with all the initial action of your shot leading into a super dark area that the action is moving towards.

Word. Marty's cameras are better then anyone elses, but those are tough conditions to film in. CCDG nailed it on their equipment, but they've had problems with it in the past.

Damn... did he give any sort of reason? Or is his bag in such a state of flux that it would probably change by the next tournament anyways?

Didn't say why, he just passed. He said he'd do one if I'd film him and Jessica play a round at DeLa, but I had just filmed Battle of the Eras and had to bail.

My cameras actually have the same sensors as Jamie's (pretty sure anyway). His is definitely nicer though.

It was the same on my tv. He probably should have adjusted his camera settings (white balance?) to something more neutral.

This is exactly the positive and negative to DSLR vs Camcorder.

it surprised me that he didn't open up his lens a bit more as he zoomed in on the area around the baskets. his camera work has always been pretty solid.

Very tough conditions!

So this is a fun topic! Camera selection for filming disc golf. I'm in the camcorder camp (along with SpinTV, DGGuy, lcgm8 and others). Marty is in the DSLR camp. He and Jomez are the only one's I know of that film disc with DSLRs. Jomez does a deep focus while Marty usually does a more shallow one (harder to keep the stuff in focus). That's how he gets the cool looking putts from behind, and the shifting focus. By using a DSLR he gets a sharper more crisp picture. Light settings may suffer though.

When Marty films a shot he has to:

Adjust for lighting before the shot (on where the thrower is)
Track the disc
Zoom
Focus
Adjust the lighting again (not sure if he can do this while filming?)

When I film a shot I have to:
Track the disc
zoom

Light balance is taken care of by the camcorder
focus is taken care of by the camcorder
both adjust in real time during the shot based on what's on the screen.

I can't even imagine how hard it is to track the disc, zoom, and focus manually. Throw in light correction in real time and I think you've exceeded what's humanly possible. (only so many hands/fingers). He can probably adjust light after zooming/focusing is done though?

Agree with above posters. The lighting at Milo was really tough. Super bright sun, and then super dark shade.

Word. Marty's cameras are better then anyone elses, but those are tough conditions to film in. CCDG nailed it on their equipment, but they've had problems with it in the past.

For the record the only time we've had issues is when Ben filmed using a DSLR.

Marty if you read this, please don't take it in a disparaging way. I had a great time hanging with you at Milo, and seriously admire your work and the level of difficulty you routinely crush right past. :hfive:

Adjust the lighting again (not sure if he can do this while filming?)
maybe a quick gain up but that makes footage noisy and isn't the most 'elegant' move.

it is a REALLY tough filming situation with out an ENG/Broadcast style of lens and camera.

kudos to all the people filming this season. things have been looking and sounding GOOD!

I asked him THREE times at Masters Cup for an ITB and got shot down. In a nice way for the record.

Hey so what round do you guys want to watch next?
Part 2 final round chase card will be up tomorrow. After that I was thinking Lead card final round?
This is what we filmed but is not yet posted:
Round 1: McBeth and McBride card (the McCard)
Round 1: Nate Sexton, Eagle McMahon, Brody Miller
Round 2: Chase card
Round 3: Chase card
Round 4: Lead card

I want to see the first rounds really, particularly the Sexton card; Brody Miller is a cool cat too, love watching him play; that ORDGC footage was sweet

Royalhghnss/CCDG nailed it in the above post. Filming disc golf properly is a LOT more challenging than point-and-click. Marty has some serious gear, and is passionate about getting things right. We all had problems seeing the black greens(and CCDG explained why perfectly about the white balance), and I'm sure Marty is upset with how dark the greens turned out. He'll figure out a solution, I'm sure of that.

With my camcorder, it's often easiest to simply leave the automatic settings on for light(white balance) and focus, especially when playing in a group and passing the camcorder around to other players. While it's not always the best result, it's usually really good, and the trade-off is being so focused on the lighting and focus that you dive so far into the lens that you're not in the moment.

BUT, I bought my camcorder specifically for filming disc golf. I knew I was going to be filming our groups on our disc golfing trips, and having to pass the camera around meant keeping the settings relatively simple for anyone to use. Also, I knew I needed it to fit in my bag, and to be able to take somewhat of a beating. It's plenty powerful, has lots of excellent control settings when I can focus on them, shoots in full 1080p, and can even film in 3D, but until the tech for watching 3D is more readily available, I'm not shelling out $300 for the lens.

I'm almost completely moved into my new place, and I have HOURS upon HOURS of footage to edit and compile from Flyboy, Blackjack, Mt. Airy, Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge, Winton Woods, Osage, Clay, and others! Keep a look out and I'll have them up soon :popcorn:

CCDG killing it with all the extra footage! Post whatever you can guys, I'll watch it all! :hfive:

Royalhghnss/CCDG nailed it in the above post. Filming disc golf properly is a LOT more challenging than point-and-click. Marty has some serious gear, and is passionate about getting things right. We all had problems seeing the black greens(and CCDG explained why perfectly about the white balance), and I'm sure Marty is upset with how dark the greens turned out. He'll figure out a solution, I'm sure of that.

With my camcorder, it's often easiest to simply leave the automatic settings on for light(white balance) and focus, especially when playing in a group and passing the camcorder around to other players. While it's not always the best result, it's usually really good, and the trade-off is being so focused on the lighting and focus that you dive so far into the lens that you're not in the moment.

BUT, I bought my camcorder specifically for filming disc golf. I knew I was going to be filming our groups on our disc golfing trips, and having to pass the camera around meant keeping the settings relatively simple for anyone to use. Also, I knew I needed it to fit in my bag, and to be able to take somewhat of a beating. It's plenty powerful, has lots of excellent control settings when I can focus on them, shoots in full 1080p, and can even film in 3D, but until the tech for watching 3D is more readily available, I'm not shelling out $300 for the lens.

I'm almost completely moved into my new place, and I have HOURS upon HOURS of footage to edit and compile from Flyboy, Blackjack, Mt. Airy, Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge, Winton Woods, Osage, Clay, and others! Keep a look out and I'll have them up soon :popcorn:

CCDG killing it with all the extra footage! Post whatever you can guys, I'll watch it all! :hfive:
:thmbup::popcorn::hfive:

We all had problems seeing the black greens(and CCDG explained why perfectly about the white balance)

With my camcorder, it's often easiest to simply leave the automatic settings on for light(white balance)
not that it matters for the conversation but white balance has nothing to do with the amount of light being exposed to the sensor. it is a setting related to accurate color representation.

Last edited:

Waiting with bait breath. :D

Latest posts