• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016-2017 College Disc Golf Season

discgolfer25

Birdie Member
I wanted to have a thread that people could discuss the current college disc golf season. If you're missing disc golf after the USDGC, following the college game could be the answer. If you're new to following college disc golf, here's a preview article from Ultiworld that should cover the basics for you. https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2016/09/24/college-disc-golf-continues-grow-qualifier-season-begins/

So far there have been six qualifier tournament with Iowa State, Minnesota-Duluth, Wichita State, Purdue, Kennesaw State, UW-Platteville, Ferris State and Central Michigan punching their tickets to the National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships.

Our club will be sending two teams to SECO next weekend. I tried out and was one of four guys left for two spots, but I have three tests the next week so sadly I'm probably dropping from consideration and letting the other three guys fight it out on their next round

Proud of our local KSU Owls making it. I see a lot of those guys on the course and a few can sling it.

How does everyone feel about being required to have 4 players and counting all 4 singles scores this year?

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

How does everyone feel about being required to have 4 players and counting all 4 singles scores this year?

I believe it's only for the top two tiers, while 2nd flight and (I believe) Women's teams it's still only top 3. I'm personally fine with it, because the only reason they had the rule in place was for teams with only three players to still be able to come play at Nationals.

Last year, for example, I played 2nd flight, and while we had four guys, the Minnesota team was only able to bring three for their third team. USCA last year, as well, I believe were only able to field a team of three guys in Championship flight.

Now, with so many teams able to field at least one full team of four, I think it's a bit unnecessary to only count the top three. While I think all lower flights should have kept the top three so that way a school with only 7 players could field a 1st flight team as well, I like that all four scores now count so that each school is able to see where they stand. However, that's only really going to work as long as each team has completed the same number of singles rounds on each course. So for championship flight, if you can't fit everyone on Old Glory, you really need to split all the teams up to two and two, and have two guys play Old Glory and two play Hogback, so that way all teams have all equal singles scores. Otherwise, if everyone's played Old Glory on one team but another played Hogback, to me, those represent two totally different scores and don't really help the overall goal they're going towards.

I for one don't like the change.
The interview I saw said one of the reasons they did this was to encourage growth, but growing our club isn't the problem the problem is that we are full time students/grad students with jobs girlfriends and some with wives and then our national championship is basically a expensive week long trip with travel that that is basically 3 weeks away from finals.

The other problem is cost our school was lucky and have a guaranteed amount of funding but even so we still had to pay some out of pocket. One of the other clubs had to pay out of pocket for the whole thing because their college cut all their funding for budget cuts.

Last year there were 21 teams that qualified for nationals but ended up not going for one reason or another and I wouldn't be surprised if there were more this year.

The minor issue i have is that the team play format should change to something that actually ensures all players are involved. For example have your set roster of 1st-4th and then 1st player plays hole 1 2nd player plays hole 2 player 3 plays hole 3 player 4 plays hole 4 than the cycle starts again player 1 plays hole 5 and so on. This would ensure that there's no safety net and would allow for a more competitive round of golf not just allowing teams to rely on certain players.

My last issue is that I think nationals should be bid for like any other big tournament to give more schools a better chance of being able to participate. And look at a possible date change to allow more schools to participate.

Last edited:
We have 3 teams going to SECO next week. I am excited to be back at the idgc

We'll have two teams going and I think they're both pretty deep; sadly my second round for tryouts wouldn't have gotten me a team even if I didn't have tests keeping me from going :D Y'all have fun out there though, the IDGC is a gorgeous place!

Pretty pumped about actually getting a chance to go to nationals this year. It's our second year with a team (U of MN Duluth- Go Bulldogs!). We (apparently) made it by default last year, as one of the bottom ~3 seeds, but we didn't actually qualify at the event we went to, and I didn't find out about us making it with enough time to plan a trip to North Augusta (it's not exactly next door).

As per the change, we only experienced the top-3 scores scenario the one time. I will say we had 7 people try out this year, so it's kind of upsetting we couldnt foster a team of three, as we'd have two teams then. But, our funding isn't infinite, so we don't find it to be the end of the world.

I actually like the change to all four scores being used. It makes them all count, and includes everyone on the team. I like the scenario presented above about having two individuals at course A, two at course B. Puts it into perspective. It's a team sport (in the NCDGC), and as such the entire team should count. And, in some instances, having all four scores count can really close in some separation, where one team might have 3 really talented players and one that kind of brings them down a bit, where another has 4 halfway decent players that put up reasonable scores (I feel this is our case!).

I wonder if you could field one A team and then one in the C division, if you can only bring a second team of three? I have no idea what they'd actually allow, but if you found yourself in that situation you might be able to work something out to get everyone to Nationals

I'd really be curious to see stats on where each team would have finished the last 2 years at Nationals taking 3 vs 4 scores. I'm pretty certain the champions and several placings would have switched around and it'd just be cool to know about what one should expect/need in order to compete for the title.

2 years ago I'm certain KU would have finished much lower and last year I think we would have placed slightly higher. I have no idea what to expect this year though.

Hey Teams around the Mid-South. The Mid-South Collegiate Open IV in Jonesboro, Arkansas is coming up in four weeks! Go to discsideofheaven.com and click on the Tournament tab for more information. Any questions let me know here or at [email protected]

Thanks!

Brad

One of the best experiences of my life so far is to go to the College Championships. I was on the b squad and did not play particularly well, but the experience is one that was great to have. I was unable to participate again this year b/c of how busy I am my senior year, but at least I got to do it the one time. I really hope disc golf takes off and I see that as the way the sport really grows. Pro football was not very popular for most of football's history, and it was the college game that really grew the sport into what it is today.

Texas Collegiate Championship

An epic year for the 5th installment of the Texas Collegiate Championship. Just to put on your radar, schools don't have to be located in Texas and we have hosted U of Arkansas and Southeast Oklahoma U in the past. Like the Facebook page and keep up to date for 2017 planning. HUGE Players Package powered by Innova Champion plus Camping, BBQ, Singles, Doubles and Match Play all on a private disc golf ranch. :hfive:

https://www.facebook.com/Texas-Collegiate-Disc-Golf-Championship-369969459825353/

Check out this year and the sudden death all-team alternate playoff:

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2016/11/01/longhorns-hook-aggies-texas-collegiate-disc-golf-championship-win/

Latest posts