• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Discraft Ace Race

Yeah, last year's graphics were too much. Hope they go back to the spade graphics. A cool font and simple graphics go a long way in my opinion.

Agree. My favorite was in 06 on the meteors with the playing cards but I love the small offset circle stamps like the hornet and I think focus had. Last years was horrible...

Discraft announced the 2014 player pack on 7/16 and the 2015 player pack on 7/20.

Hope to see the 2016 announcement soon!

I have kind of fallen out of love with the Ace Race. I haven't been a fan of the recent molds released. The last 2-3 players packs have been "meh" at best. Last years' dri-fit was pretty uggers. I am also tired of the bad logos. I don't want a disc that has artwork akin to the album cover of a $h!tty Motorhead cover band. I am tired of the middle-of-the-road stabilities- give me something usefully OS or US, and NOT in a cheap baseline plastic. I know that this is supposed to be beginner friendly and get people in the door, but I do not necessarily see that happening where I live. 95% of the registrants for an AR are already established players. I work in a shop that sells, buys, and resells discs. Every year, within a week of the AR, I end up with 20-30 AR discs. Last year I decided to stop accepting them as trade-ins because I cannot sell the AR discs. I still have some on the shelf from 2 years ago, and it would appear that a $4 price tag still doesn't make them lucrative enough to purchase.

As an aside, I wonder if the AR is hindering Discraft. I am not a Discraft hater. The majority of my midrange disc selection is made by them. Discraft seems to really be lagging behind the competition in terms of fresh product. I don't consider old molds in new plastics to be a "new" disc. It is just a variation of an existing disc. I think that-without having done much research- Discraft has released almost as many AR discs as they have new, non-AR molds in the last few years. Unless you are a larger club, I really do not see this as a good money maker, either. AFTER you account for shipping, the club makes very little money directly from the AR. Yes, you have other activities you can tie-in with it, but you can do those for any event, too.

That said....sign me up for this year. It is like Pokemon GO for other people, I suppose. I am probably just doing it because everyone else is, even though I will hate myself for doing it.

A week late, but here is a Patriotic 4th joke:

Do you know why there are no knock-knock jokes about freedom?

Because freedom rings
(rimshot)

I have kind of fallen out of love with the Ace Race. I haven't been a fan of the recent molds released. The last 2-3 players packs have been "meh" at best. Last years' dri-fit was pretty uggers. I am also tired of the bad logos. I don't want a disc that has artwork akin to the album cover of a $h!tty Motorhead cover band. I am tired of the middle-of-the-road stabilities- give me something usefully OS or US, and NOT in a cheap baseline plastic. I know that this is supposed to be beginner friendly and get people in the door, but I do not necessarily see that happening where I live. 95% of the registrants for an AR are already established players. I work in a shop that sells, buys, and resells discs. Every year, within a week of the AR, I end up with 20-30 AR discs. Last year I decided to stop accepting them as trade-ins because I cannot sell the AR discs. I still have some on the shelf from 2 years ago, and it would appear that a $4 price tag still doesn't make them lucrative enough to purchase.

As an aside, I wonder if the AR is hindering Discraft. I am not a Discraft hater. The majority of my midrange disc selection is made by them. Discraft seems to really be lagging behind the competition in terms of fresh product. I don't consider old molds in new plastics to be a "new" disc. It is just a variation of an existing disc. I think that-without having done much research- Discraft has released almost as many AR discs as they have new, non-AR molds in the last few years. Unless you are a larger club, I really do not see this as a good money maker, either. AFTER you account for shipping, the club makes very little money directly from the AR. Yes, you have other activities you can tie-in with it, but you can do those for any event, too.

That said....sign me up for this year. It is like Pokemon GO for other people, I suppose. I am probably just doing it because everyone else is, even though I will hate myself for doing it.

A week late, but here is a Patriotic 4th joke:

Do you know why there are no knock-knock jokes about freedom?

Because freedom rings
(rimshot)

Not to discount your opinion, but I think Discraft is in the business of selling discs. While you or I may not be fans of the Mantis, Heat or Roach....they are made for the majority of arms. Middle of the road stability discs sell. Between their big selling mids and their Ultimate sales, Discraft is likely doing just fine. To bring out a big overstable distance driver would probably not be in the best interest of their bottom line....despite, perhaps rounding out their line up.

You are cool. I am no SJW- i can handle dissenting opinions.
I understand that Discraft is in the business of making cheddar. I am not saying that they should roll out a bunch of Nuke Super OS's for the AR. I will point out that the the two most talked about and thrown AR discs (from personal experience. no hard data to cite) are the Hornet and the Meteor. Neither are considered middle-of-the-road stable.

I am going to disagree with you on the idea that introducing a disc that deviates from the pretty stable trend would be bad for the bottom line. I think that anytime a new disc is introduced it stimulates sales because everyone want to try it out. We laugh at the Innova Groove now, but that sucka was a money maker for a bit. It didn't really work out, but it was a noble idea.

That is my concern with Discraft. I fear that they are lacking in some innovation and are failing to keep up. Maybe they are happy clinging to their marketshare, but that seems a dodgy prospect. As the sport grows, more and more companies are popping up and are going to cut into that share. You would know better than I, maybe, how MVP/Axiom has cut as swath from Discraft's territory in Michigan.

You are cool. I am no SJW- i can handle dissenting opinions.
I understand that Discraft is in the business of making cheddar. I am not saying that they should roll out a bunch of Nuke Super OS's for the AR. I will point out that the the two most talked about and thrown AR discs (from personal experience. no hard data to cite) are the Hornet and the Meteor. Neither are considered middle-of-the-road stable.

I am going to disagree with you on the idea that introducing a disc that deviates from the pretty stable trend would be bad for the bottom line. I think that anytime a new disc is introduced it stimulates sales because everyone want to try it out. We laugh at the Innova Groove now, but that sucka was a money maker for a bit. It didn't really work out, but it was a noble idea.

That is my concern with Discraft. I fear that they are lacking in some innovation and are failing to keep up. Maybe they are happy clinging to their marketshare, but that seems a dodgy prospect. As the sport grows, more and more companies are popping up and are going to cut into that share. You would know better than I, maybe, how MVP/Axiom has cut as swath from Discraft's territory in Michigan.

Good points. I think that Discraft's local golf market share has probably been impacted by MVP. I am not sure they are so concerned, their money is made in Ultimate. I think the writing is kind of on the wall for most of the major disc manufacturers though. New companies have been and will continue to eat at their market. I guess the question becomes, innovation cost vs. the cost of "tweeking the Buzzz". I think these companies make money by pandering to the largest demographic. Not pro's or new joe's. I think the Meteor and Hornet are not middle of the road stability discs, but they sure seem to be made for the middle of the road golfer. I have been raised in this game by Discraft and am forever grateful to them for all they have done for me, this area and the game. I am just not convinced they are looking to be a leader in the market, nor innovators. Kenner is not a spring chicken any longer and has a damn solid thing going. Ultimate makes his company, golf is just gravy. I am only guessing, of course, but they seem fine with a well marketed AR release and a couple of disc for good measure inbetween. (Undertaker). Again, I am just speculating.

This just in....

PLAYER PACK
Here is is! The 2016 Ace Race player pack includes:
Two premium ESP line prototype discs
One high performance wicking t-shirt (colors & styles may vary)
One premium disc golf towel
One reusable disc golf scorecard
One mini marker disc
One vinyl sticker
A $74 value!

The 2016 disc will be revealed next week

2016_pp_lg.jpg

I like it all, but was really hoping for a Play Disc Golf cap again. Mine from 2 yrs ago is pretty worn out.

I was hoping it would lead to some guesses on what kind of disc it might be.

Doesn't really seem to fit their naming scheme for mids, so I'm guessing fairway driver or putter.

The Weasel.

Or the Rikki Tikki Tavi.

sure looks kinda swirly for esp, which is ok by me. could still be a mid, even if it doesn't go with the current scheme. there is the comet and meteor...

Shirt beats last year's shirt
Like the towel.
Glad they chose to run them in ESP.
Not a fan of the overly cheesy stamp... but stamps can be wiped if I actually like the disc.

The '09 Focus, '12 Zombee, and '14 Heat stamps are probably my favorites.
Like the '08 Nebula as well, which is the only AR disc that made my bag long term.

Last edited:
Playyer pack looks good. Nice to see ESP for the discs, makes me think mid.

So, I'm checking out the 2016 AR calendar on Discraft's website to see when/where events are being held and noticed an event Sep 17th in Vienna Park in Temperance, OH. Great, except that Vienna Park is actually located in Temperance, MI.

attachment.php

I realize it's something like 5 miles from the state line and has always been considered a Toledo area course, but... c'mon man, at least get the state right. :\

No, it won't be an issue for anyone who's played Vienna before, but you tend to get quite a few true newbies at these events... you don't want anyone looking for a course in the wrong state. TD contacted, but I couldn't help but find that funny.

Attachments

• Vienna AR.png
    Vienna AR.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 180

Latest posts