• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Memorial Championship presented by Discraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 more thing, the feed of the tournament, showed Johne taking scores for everyone... anyone else catch that? I assumed everyone kept their own. I've been to some big tournaments and never noticed this before until I watched the youtube feed.

Its pretty much the standard way people keep score in the vast majority of disc golf events. Rotating score keeping duties with either 1 official score card or separate cards for each player being kept by 1 person at a time. Every player double checks the whole card at the end of the round. A lot of guys will also keep their own unofficial score card to have something to double check against at the end of the round. I know at the USDGC they actually give out an official card to each player and the whole group has to take everyone's scores. But I don't know of any other event that keeps score like that.

I don't think there's an exact rule on this, but I have never played a tournament, sanctioned or not, where we didn't have one person keeping score for the group. Usually we rotate out every few holes. The theory, as it was explained to me many moons ago, was that this prevents cheating. Not saying that's true, or that it's any different for National Tours. But I would find it weird to see people keeping their own score.

By my experience, the multiple score cards is relatively new. I'd never seen it before five years ago.I got the same explanation that Andy did, having everyone look at everyone's scores prevents cheating. I would equally find everyone keeping their own scores weird. Hit the yell at me button now, does anyone know how the PGA does this?

By my experience, the multiple score cards is relatively new. I'd never seen it before five years ago.I got the same explanation that Andy did, having everyone look at everyone's scores prevents cheating. I would equally find everyone keeping their own scores weird. Hit the yell at me button now, does anyone know how the PGA does this?

Since the PGA typically groups players in twosomes, one player keeps the score of the other for the duration of the round (A scores for B, B scores for A). In threesomes, A scores for B, B scores for C, and C scores for A.

I'm sure that each player keeps his own score as well, or his caddy does, but the card that his playing partner is carrying is the official one.

The more I read this thread the more I am reminded about why I play fewer and fewer PDGA events each year. He was peeing....lol. Be a human and let the guy pee.

Add in TX DGOLFER to this reply.

I've met some of the nicest guys ever playing PDGA events, and some of the worst donkeys. It's the competitive environment. Everything I've ever heard about John E off the course is exemplary. During rounds, I think an argument can be made that he gets to wound up. Nikko does the same, and I'm sure others, who didn't have the misfortune to get caught on tape, have too. The fact that TXDG and his son had a great experience with John is important, as is TXDG adamant position of sticking by that point. It is a comment on what is best about the sport.... Thanks for pointing that out TXDG.

Add in TX DGOLFER to this reply.

I've met some of the nicest guys ever playing PDGA events, and some of the worst donkeys. It's the competitive environment. Everything I've ever heard about John E off the course is exemplary. During rounds, I think an argument can be made that he gets to wound up. Nikko does the same, and I'm sure others, who didn't have the misfortune to get caught on tape, have too. The fact that TXDG and his son had a great experience with John is important, as is TXDG adamant position of sticking by that point. It is a comment on what is best about the sport.... Thanks for pointing that out TXDG.

I've only had two bad experiences in a tournament and both were with local "pros" that were playing on a mixed card. The first, a rec player in his first tourney lost a disc and the pro wouldn't help him look. When pushed to help he said he didn't want to waste energy looking for a disc that wasn't his. Thankfully, karma struck and he hit an OB creek the next hole. The other, a pro asked me, since I was playing AM, if I would be his "wind dummy" and throw first, even tough it wasn't my teebox. I just laughed and declined and it was fine.

For he most part, everyone has been pretty cool and they are usually fun, albeit long days.

I just can't believe anyone defends JohnE's lack of being a decent human and letting someone pee.

The first, a rec player in his first tourney lost a disc and the pro wouldn't help him look. When pushed to help he said he didn't want to waste energy looking for a disc that wasn't his.

You should have called him on that. He's required by the rules to assist in looking for a lost disc

You should have called him on that. He's required by the rules to assist in looking for a lost disc

The disc was found before it was an issue and we were giving him grief after. He was a super-douche. When we were adding up the scores and it was clear that he was below an intermediate and an advanced player he was telling us about his messed up elbow and how he had been on vacation and hadn't practiced.

Being an old school purist of the game, Johne

JohnE is as far from being an old school purist of the game as Bradley Williams is from winning the Bob West Memorial Sportsmanship Award.

There's a reason that JohnE acquired the reputation over the years turning into a whiney suck when he's playing badly or out of contention (and it's not due to slander). This was yet another example of why he's acquired that reputation.

And, sorry, the "He was nice to me an my kid the one time we met him" doesn't cut it. All that proves is that you caught him on a good day.

Anyone who met or played with Ron Russell, Brad Hammock and Cam Todd back in the day will tell you that they were great guys away from the course, outside tournament settings, or when they were playing well, but they'll also tell you they turned into Angry Klown when things weren't going their way. There's a reason JohnE's track record over the past 20-some years puts him in the same group.

I watched some of the smashboxx podcast and Terry the Disc Golf Guy said, regarding Philos slow play, that either the players on the card or a tournament official can call penalty or warnings on players (in regards to rate of play). The players typically, almost never, will make a call on another player.

So if the PDGA officials are not willing to make the calls to enforce the rules, taking the pressure off of the players... Then WTF. Wtf is the point of the rules if the PDGA don't care?? /rant

I see no issues with the cupcakes. The issues I see are adults trying to encourage this safe zone bubble victim crap. I think cupcake took it better than most of you, and even if he didn't at the time it will most likely be something he can look back and laugh about. I guarantee they will remain friends through this.

Even though Cupcake was choking with his face and nose stuffed with crap. I'll bet it would be different if it were you.

I watched some of the smashboxx podcast and Terry the Disc Golf Guy said, regarding Philos slow play, that either the players on the card or a tournament official can call penalty or warnings on players (in regards to rate of play). The players typically, almost never, will make a call on another player.

So if the PDGA officials are not willing to make the calls to enforce the rules, taking the pressure off of the players... Then WTF. Wtf is the point of the rules if the PDGA don't care?? /rant

Were there any non-playing PDGA officials shadowing the lead card during round 3, the same round where many people went berserk about Philo's pace, even though there was a at almost every other hole? Didn't seem like it. I think Philo is getting a bad rap for his pace of play, considering that so many other pros exceed 30 seconds over and over and that I witnessed many foot faults in the fairway and almost all the jump putts I saw were borderline illegal. Philo's pace of play in round 3 was in synch with the rhythm of the card, on a round, which I thought was the most intense, exciting & pulsating of the entire tournament. I know many people were commenting in the chat field that they were wiped out after watching round 3. I would agree.

Does anyone have an idea how many designated officials are usually used for NTs/majors? Im fairly certain (tho I could be mistaken) that there is usually only 1 actual PDGA employee at most NTs/Majors.

I feel the need to point out that there is a big difference between designated officials not making calls and the PDGA not caring about calls. The PDGA doesn't supply officials for big events, as far as I know

The officials job is not to make calls, but to assist the players in making them. The PDGA IS the players, they are not two diferent entities.

of·fi·cial əˈfiSHəl/
adjective
1.relating to an authority or public body and its duties, actions, and responsibilities.

So what's the point. They are there to help a player make a call but turn a blind eye otherwise? Tell me what other 'sport' does that. I feel your definition, although it may be correct, jeorodizes the legitimacy.

Last edited:
it wouldn't be fair to the lead Card if they had a strict oficial following them making a lot of calls, when the other Cards are calling (or not calling more likely) penalties on them selves. Until there is an official on all Cards, following all the action, that is just not an option. As it is, Disc Golf is a self oficiated sport. The offcial is there to help out in case of dispute or if the players have questions, so they don't have to wait for the TD. I don't see a problem with that.

I think you are an idiot blind to the events belittling a little kid for their own enjoyment

You do realize Jacob"Cupcake" is on the Innova Juniors team and is not some random kid? The kids Dad is the main person in the clip smashing the cupcakes. Clearly it was all in good fun... On Smashboxxtv last night Paul confirmed it was pre planned by the dad and Jacob thought it was funny and even made a funny comment that wasn't picked up on camera. This forum loves to get riled up too quickly without knowing the whole story.

J
Anyone who met or played with Ron Russell, Brad Hammock and Cam Todd back in the day will tell you that they were great guys away from the course, outside tournament settings, or when they were playing well, but they'll also tell you they turned into Angry Klown when things weren't going their way.

Angry Clown reference!!!

Paul should have been called on a courtesy warning... 804.04.B

Players should watch the other members of their group throw in order to aid in locating errant throws and to ensure compliance with the rules.

I highly doubt McBeth could watch from the outhouse... :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts