• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Pro Worlds

Where are all the McBeth haters crowing about not winning? I'll go:

Thank god McBeth, who has personally wronged me with his talent and excellence, his earrings and McPants, his haircuts and high profile, didn't win. My life has been drastically improved now that his previous 4 Worlds titles have been proven a fluke. What a jerk. Rules. Rules are for nerds.

Some actual observations:

Agree with the praise for Nikko; he had a game plan and stuck with it, and it kept him in contention. He made some great putts, but also was flukey on others. Glad to see him on the lead card(s). Control the emotions and keep tightening up the putting game.

Val, Val, Val. Just when I thought she had been surpassed in distance and variety of shots by Catrina and PP, she comes roaring back with some pretty nice distance drives of her own (was that the Tern?) and clutch play and experience. I don't know if she's been out practicing while Nate has the kid and the brewing, but congrats to her to be able to do it again.

And Ricky just continues to do what he's done all season. Crush FH and BH drives for distance and accuracy; park job upshots; banging casual 90' putts like they're in the circle. Someone woke the sleeping Beast (lulz) with the choke comments before the season. He can finish last at all the remaining NT/DGPT events for all I care, I just want him to crush the USDGC to once and for all put the (not entirely inaccurate) criticism to rest...

I'm not a big fan of the Emporia courses (the highway noise at Jones East annoys the piss out of me, let alone the many boring holes), and I wish it had been closer, but congrats to Rick, he killed it.

I think we will see what a beast looks like soon. Paul's health is returning, but obviously has some kinks to work out.

I'd put my money that Mcbeast won't take this standing down.

I'm a big fan of both super stars, but Ricky's body is made for disc golf. Paul's just a beast.

Congrats Sockibomb.

Paul I expect your not going to be sleeping well after this defeat. I'm sure your training we be even more extensive then ever.

Kenny didn't win 12 in a row, neither will you. But He still won 12. Maybe so will you.

Agree with the praise for Nikko; he had a game plan and stuck with it, and it kept him in contention. He made some great putts, but also was flukey on others. Glad to see him on the lead card(s). Control the emotions and keep tightening up the putting game.

Yes, he definitely kept himself in check, which was good to see. If he gets his putting down like Wysocki has this year, Nikko will be in the hunt for a lot of big tournament titles.

Val, Val, Val. Just when I thought she had been surpassed in distance and variety of shots by Catrina and PP, she comes roaring back with some pretty nice distance drives of her own (was that the Tern?) and clutch play and experience. I don't know if she's been out practicing while Nate has the kid and the brewing, but congrats to her to be able to do it again.

Yes, Val throws the Star Tern and maybe other plastics, as well. I thought Val's course management was outstanding. Kept herself in striking distance, no stupidities, no pressing... and then when her chance came, she was pulling away and not to be caught. Great tournament!

On a lighter note, do you know if they have a sister named Mary? ;)

Where have all the flowers gone?....

I like that Wysocki is probably the first champion who has a sidearem dominate/heavy game (even using forehand putter sidearms)..

Rick's game is "sidearm dominate"? Nah. His FH is world class. But so is his BH. He doesnt throw his FH when it's easier to throw his BH.

It has seemed inevitable that there'd be a champion who threw both sidearm/backhand with equally proficiency and it's finally happened.

Finally happened? McBeth doesn't throw his FH & BH with "equal proficiency?" Interesting.

With Nikko throwing as well as he has I'd be curious to see a current in the bag video.

From watching the coverage Friday, seemed like a mix of Lat/Innova. These are ones I remember them mentioning on the broadcast. Destroyer, Glow Firebird, Roc, Culverin, Sinus. I assume he's putting Wizards. They seems to say he was throwing the Glow Firebird the most.

Finally happened? McBeth doesn't throw his FH & BH with "equal proficiency?" Interesting.

He does now, but just a few years ago McBeth didn't have much of a forehand game. He said Nate Sexton really helped him (McBeth) get his forehand game in shape and that's in the last couple of years. So IMHO the comments about Ricky are spot-on.

He does now, but just a few years ago McBeth didn't have much of a forehand game. He said Nate Sexton really helped him (McBeth) get his forehand game in shape and that's in the last couple of years. So IMHO the comments about Ricky are spot-on.

Right. And, Ricky started as a sidearm player to begin with. So, there's that too

Right. And, Ricky started as a sidearm player to begin with. So, there's that too

I remember paul saying he was a sidearm dominate player when he started in his video AMA. :D

Paul has an excellent FH with huge distance off the tee. But right now you see Paul mostly using his sidearm off the tee on hyzer lines with very OS discs. He'll often use backhand anny lines instead of using forehand hyzer lines for upshots.

Ricky seems to use BH or FH on any line, often doing the opposite using an anny FH or anny BH when you'd think a normal hyzer line (especially upshots and shorter drives off the tee) is the scouted shot. Thats what I think is fun to watch.

He's the evolution of DG, where you can do any shot: BH/FH ect on any line. previous champs? not so much.

Paul said he started his first 2 years of disc golf as a sidearm player. So there's that.

Someone said Ricky's body was made for disc golf and that reminded me of my friend of very similar build. Long legs and arms, tall, about 6' 4'', and as Innova would describe, he was an out-of-the-box disc golfer. He was rivaling me and my short bulky arms (instead of saying fat I said bulky like women say curvy, deal with it) in distance almost instantly.

Rick's game is "sidearm dominate"? Nah. His FH is world class. But so is his BH. He doesnt throw his FH when it's easier to throw his BH.

Rick is absolutely sidearm dominant. He doesn't force it, but he looks for a sidearm first and takes it if it's There. Id love so see a break down of which side he used the majority of his upshots, but I'm pretty sure it was heavily weighted toward sidearm.

Paul absolutely does not have as much profciency sidearm as he does backhand. He has a very good sidearm, but he doesn't really rely on it.

It seemed like Paige & Cat just ran out of want in the finals, while Val kept her focus and played her game. Sort of a rabbit vs. turtle kinda thing (ninja type turtle btw ;)).

Last edited:
It seemed like Paige & Cat just ran out of want in the finals, while Val kept her focus and played her game. Sort of a rabbit vs. turtle kinda thing (ninja type turtle btw ;)).

I agree. Paige was playing at the end like no big deal, and cat was miss frumpalumpalous again. And then, where'd Val come from to jump ahead by 4?!

Just like that. It was a pretty good battle, except really it was allot of mistakes by the two. And then Val swooped the title. Good for her

With Nikko throwing as well as he has I'd be curious to see a current in the bag video.

They said in the 3rd round broadcast that they had asked, and Nikko declined, saying it was "personal". WTF???

I hope Ricky wins. He's an SC native, a great player, and it's just nice to see someone new win the Worlds.

Nope. Brunswick, OH. Learned on the oldest course in OH, same as the Jenkins family.

I agree. Paige was playing at the end like no big deal, and cat was miss frumpalumpalous again. And then, where'd Val come from to jump ahead by 4?!

Just like that. It was a pretty good battle, except really it was allot of mistakes by the two. And then Val swooped the title. Good for her

Val just played smarter golf and kept it inbounds. Almost as good a skill to have as knowing the caddy book...

Once Paige had those two OB throws on the one hole, she knew her day was done so she coasted in to the finish. But until then, she was fighting.

Someone on the Smashboxx broadcast said that it seemed like Catrina ran out of gas or ran out of willpower in Round 4 (Friday). She got back in it in the semifinals, but then fell behind again... and started pressing like McBeth did, leading to mistake upon mistake.

As I said before, Val's course management was awesome. :clap: Reminded me of Tiger Woods in his prime at the British Open and other tournaments. Right shot for the lie, and at the right time. Smooth and easy.

They said in the 3rd round broadcast that they had asked, and Nikko declined, saying it was "personal". WTF???

In other words, "stop bothering me, Smashboxx media hacks!" is how I interpreted that. And rightly so. Want to ask Nikko what's in his bag? Invite him to a weekly podcast, or ask when he's not right in the middle of playing for the World Championship. Would likely get a more amenable response, as Nikko has done WITBs before.

Latest posts