• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Next Generation Disc Golf Top Prize: Car

As a Next Gen TD i will make sure all the information on Joralemon Park the course i'm using of my event is accurate. I believe it currently is correct but i will double check.

TD's need to enter in the course distance, number of holes being played and a couple of other variables on the Next Gen site and the SSE is calculated on the fly for whatever layout they're using for their event. It is not pulling distance information from DGCR for the default course layouts, it's just using the SSE formula to generate ratings, etc.

I don't know if Pat has sent out instructions and/or requested that information from TDs yet.

Registration now open

You can now register for these events on DiscGolfScene.com.

Since you are a Next Gen TD, were the TD's given the DGCR SSE's for the courses they wanted to use? If the TD's were not given SSE's/SSAs, how were they supposed to find that information to make decisions on which course(s) to use?

No, we're weren't. In fact, course selection was done (at least in my case) before we were aware of the DGCR connection. We were instructed to select a course/layout that fit certain minimum criteria that was expressed in terms of PDGA ratings/SSA. Without looking up the exact wording, it was something along the lines of a score of 54 had to be rated 950 or higher. That was something easy enough to verify by looking at PDGA tournaments held at the course, usually events we ran ourselves in the first place (so questions of layouts used were easily answered).

I don't know if Pat has sent out instructions and/or requested that information from TDs yet.

He has not. Numbers geek that I am, I anxiously await that step in the process.

He has not. Numbers geek that I am, I anxiously await that step in the process.

It'll take about 10 seconds to enter assuming you know your layout. I already pre-filled some of the information in for people (I assumed 18 holes for most rounds and copied over some basic DGCR course details). You pretty much just have to enter in the course distance and it'll generate an SSE, etc. If the SSE is way off for whatever reason (based on past experience), it allows for manual adjustment by the TD. I'll forward this thread to Pat as well.

It'll take about 10 seconds to enter assuming you know your layout. I already pre-filled some of the information in for people (I assumed 18 holes for most rounds and copied over some basic DGCR course details). You pretty much just have to enter in the course distance and it'll generate an SSE, etc. If the SSE is way off for whatever reason (based on past experience), it allows for manual adjustment by the TD. I'll forward this thread to Pat as well.

Thanks Tim and all,

We evaluated a number of approaches when developing the DANCe competition concept. We arrived at what we found to be the most robust and feasible option available. As Tim mentioned, we are using the DGCR Round Rating formula, which has been proven over time, with the most accurate course/competition data available. We've (Tim) developed an internal system for our TD's to enter or validate the particular layout for the Next Generation event. Now that our push to get our registration open is complete, Tim and I are meeting this week to test/finalize the system. As Josh mentioned, we did seek 18 hole courses where a score of 54 was at least a 950 rated round. We are well aware consistent and accurate data makes the system more robust and have planned to do all we can to make it so.

Thanks again for the questions - we're a team of disc golf devotees trying something new, will we get everything absolutely right? probably not... will we to try get there? absolutely. Your feedback is very important to us and much appreciated.

Best,

Pat

So...which car is being given away?

Black Kia Soul.

Grand Prize: 2017 Kia Soul
February 28, 2017
Next Generation Disc Golf sponsored by Latitude 64° is pleased to announce the Grand Prize for this year's National Championship winner, a 2017 Kia Soul. Competitors register to play in one of 108 qualifier tournaments across the country held between April and June. Top finishers qualify for their Regional Championship, held between July and October, the top finishers advance to the National Championship on November 17-19 in Fountain Hills, Arizona, where, amongst other groundbreaking prizes, the winner will take home a 2017 Kia Soul.

Black Kia Soul.

Grand Prize: 2017 Kia Soul
February 28, 2017
Next Generation Disc Golf sponsored by Latitude 64° is pleased to announce the Grand Prize for this year's National Championship winner, a 2017 Kia Soul. Competitors register to play in one of 108 qualifier tournaments across the country held between April and June. Top finishers qualify for their Regional Championship, held between July and October, the top finishers advance to the National Championship on November 17-19 in Fountain Hills, Arizona, where, amongst other groundbreaking prizes, the winner will take home a 2017 Kia Soul.

I just want to point out that while most of what i might post is incorrect, I guessed Kia Soul correctly. Thank you, thank you very much.

Thanks again for the questions - we're a team of disc golf devotees trying something new, will we get everything absolutely right? probably not... will we to try get there? absolutely. Your feedback is very important to us and much appreciated.

Best,

Pat

That's the spirit!

While it only takes 10 seconds to enter, it takes much longer than that to find and verify the distances.

Tim - Can you demonstrate how different distances might affect the DGCR SSE and round ratings?

TD in Texas enters the course distance of 9,200 ft (from volunteer that said he measured every single hole) and it really is 8,200 (volunteer measured alternate long pins). What are the ratings for shooting a 54 on both distances if course is wide open? What if both courses are heavily wooded?

TD in New Hampshire says course distance is 6,600 (from DGCR) and it really is 8,600 (DGCR info was old). What are the ratings for a 54 on both layouts if wide open or heavily wooded?

What if it was sunny and calm for one round and windy and rainy for the second round? Will each round generate identical ratings since the distance and foliage didn't change?

Weather isn't taken into account for SSE, I don't have time to run those numbers now but you could probably find courses in the directory already that are close to your examples if you want to compare. Truthfully, I implemented the formula in code but I'm without just trying it, I don't know how different values effect things. Someone much smarter than me came up with the math for it all, I just plug in the numbers :)

Based on how quickly these are filling, or rather, how slowly, I am guessing many people have spit the Kool-aid out and abandoned what was such a great series last year.

I will play the event my local club puts on for support of the club. Otherwise, meh.

Also, Tim, I see you're from cortland. C-state Alumni here class of 2003. Never played TC3 but have BU a couple times. not enough courses around that area with how much cheap open land and parks there are.

Also, Tim, I see you're from cortland. C-state Alumni here class of 2003. Never played TC3 but have BU a couple times. not enough courses around that area with how much cheap open land and parks there are.

Yea, I'm not loving it. Moved here last summer to be with the gf but hopefully we'll move somewhere more interesting in a couple of years.

Based on how quickly these are filling, or rather, how slowly, I am guessing many people have spit the Kool-aid out and abandoned what was such a great series last year.

Well, considering lots of players weren't within 300 miles of any of the events in last year's series, I'm guessing a lot of them haven't tasted the Kool-aid and don't know the difference between what was done last year and what is being done this year.

Judging based on what's happened less than 24 hours since registration opens seems like a very poor way of looking at 108 events spread out over the entire country. Not every area sells out every tournament in minutes, and there are surely some Next Gen events in areas where filling half the field is an overwhelming success no matter what the tournament's affiliation.

Well, considering lots of players weren't within 300 miles of any of the events in last year's series, I'm guessing a lot of them haven't tasted the Kool-aid and don't know the difference between what was done last year and what is being done this year.

Judging based on what's happened less than 24 hours since registration opens seems like a very poor way of looking at 108 events spread out over the entire country. Not every area sells out every tournament in minutes, and there are surely some Next Gen events in areas where filling half the field is an overwhelming success no matter what the tournament's affiliation.

I am going off my normal club events. usually around half full after a day. We have six in now for next gen. La Mirada has 1. I looked, the most i found was 9, and a bunch had 1.
Dave and lat have to be nervous

Yea, I'm not loving it. Moved here last summer to be with the gf but hopefully we'll move somewhere more interesting in a couple of years.

i moved away after college. i wanted access to water and better weather. Dont regret it at all

I am going off my normal club events. usually around half full after a day. We have six in now for next gen. La Mirada has 1. I looked, the most i found was 9, and a bunch had 1.
Dave and lat have to be nervous

In Region 1, where my event is located, there is one event that is currently at 51 of 54 spots. Another at 46, a couple in the 20s, most at least in double digits. My event got 12 players in the first hour registration was open. For the 12 events in the region, about 35% of the total spots are filled.

Again, less than 24 hours after registration opens, no one is or should be nervous.

Latest posts