• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 Master Cup Santa Cruz, CA

Was anyone else bothered by Lesli Todd's behavior on the last two holes of round 2? She clearly didn't give a rip anymore and didn't try to hide it. IMHO, totally unprofessional. That kind of behavior is worse than a caddy with a beer... just sayin'.

Yeah, on the next to last hole she lost it. On the one hand I can understand. On the other it was like Randy Moss or Dez Bryant leaving the field early...

Yeah, on the next to last hole she lost it. On the one hand I can understand. On the other it was like Randy Moss or Dez Bryant leaving the field early...

Did anyone read what happened on day 3 for sure?
My understanding was she didn't even show and didn't talk to the TD about it, so she took an "888" rating...?

FPO... Paige Pierce, unstoppable. Maybe Val would've challenged Paige, maybe not. But as long as Paige is throwing with MPO-"ish" power, draining putts and doing the "Raptor"-walk after those putts... Fuggetaboutit. That putt she made on 17 (the elevated basket) in Round 3 was just awesome.

And a nice 2d place for Catrina Allen, who played smart, accurate golf and played well. I was wondering why she was bundled up when the other ladies were in short sleeve shirts and short pants, but if it brings her the green dollar bills, then no complaints from the Pink Panther gallery...

She probably found out you've been creeping on her.

Is this it or is there more?

While he was cranky, it seemed to be about rules obeyance. As for arguing about where he went ob, I've seen that way to many times to even notice.

I have to see more before I'd assess too harshly. I couldn't tell whether he was just going after Simon to get him going, it didn't seem that way?

Is he generally like this on every card?

A-ha! I bet those hypermobile-joints add an extra 100' to her drives...

Curse my fetal self for not randomly mutating.

Um, anything I might answer might be held against me in a future conversation.

I had never heard of Feldberg being grumpy. PB and JohnE have reps that follow them around and even some footage of certain "behaviors." I've never seen anything from Feldberg. But then, I never heard anything about Klimo being a pain until a couple of years ago. It might be possible that in the age of the internet we get to see a lot more than maybe we should. Maybe none of these guys are that bad and we are getting to nitpick over their worst behaviors that other Pros forgive them for?

More of epic whininess than grumpiness.

IAs I wrote above, watch Paul, he watches the marker, steps into it then transfers his attention to his throw. I don't know that other players don't do this, I suspect some do, but I know that plenty don't.

One thing Paul does that many players don't... is when he throws a drive off the tee, he doesn't turn his head completely back, and the shorter the throw the more he seems to look forward while throwing. Take a look at his approach shots, sometimes he's almost looking directly forward. This style of play allows him to have an advantage on field foot placement for "2nd drives" or long upshots, etc.

Circling back to this - I updated the recap article to clarify that the rule was not applied correctly and that he should not have been assessed two strokes, and because this wasn't caught until the tournament was over that no penalty for an incorrect scorecard would be assessed, either (which would have had him still win by one).

This is weird. If a ruling is corrected that affects the score, IMO OF COURSE no penalty for incorrect score card should be applied. The cards are marked according to the best knowledge the players have at the time, and if a change is made in the scores after the card has been handed in, it should not levy an extra penalty to the player.

When was it, a few years back when in a pretty big tourney a lot of players had played a hole wrong (including McBeth who himself brought it to light IIRC) and they were all assigned post-round penalties? Surely they did not also get scorecard error penalties to boot?

Or am I reading this all wrong?

I just watched MPO round 2 last night. :thmbup:
DeLa is so beautiful. It's also a blast to play with hardly any kind of duplicate holes.
The Masters Cup layout has been the same for the last 6 years. The 24 hole layout actually leaves out 5 of the normal holes, which have their own merits.
#20 is the absolute toughest hole on the course for me with its steep drop-off on the right side of the fairway.
#21 is a sweet little hole with the toughest bubble-hill green to perch the basket upon. Steep embankments on the right and behind.
#22 is wide open until you get to the heavily tree-guarded green
#23 is a fun shot whether the pin is right or left. Left side is easier, but there is a cliff there.
#24 is a very narrow straight shot with a mando on the left and a severe cliff on the right. This hole is no easy par.

DeLa is a top 10 course, IMO. I love it and never have duplicate rounds. Every time I play it, I come across new shots from new trouble spots. It's disc golf at its best.

More of epic whininess than grumpiness.

The first time I realized that a lot of the top players whine was the first time I watched a live video. The question for me is does he go after other players and TDs? The vid in question wasn't clear. I admit it's a hard call to make.

This is weird. If a ruling is corrected that affects the score, IMO OF COURSE no penalty for incorrect score card should be applied. The cards are marked according to the best knowledge the players have at the time, and if a change is made in the scores after the card has been handed in, it should not levy an extra penalty to the player.

When was it, a few years back when in a pretty big tourney a lot of players had played a hole wrong (including McBeth who himself brought it to light IIRC) and they were all assigned post-round penalties? Surely they did not also get scorecard error penalties to boot?

Or am I reading this all wrong?

808.G.2 states: "If the total score is incorrect, improperly recorded, or missing, two penalty throws are added to the correct total score. Those penalty throws are not added when the score has been adjusted for other violations determined after the player had turned in an otherwise correct scorecard."

Generally, that is intended to avoid double penalizing a misplay of some sort (like the one you bring up involving McBeth...2016 Worlds, BTW), but it works in reverse as well, as in a case like Ricky's where a score would be adjusted due to the discovery of an unnecessary extra penalty that needed to be deducted from the originally reported score.

The first time I realized that a lot of the top players whine was the first time I watched a live video. The question for me is does he go after other players and TDs? The vid in question wasn't clear. I admit it's a hard call to make.

All it took for me was playing a round with one. I don't get the chance too often, but I have played with probably a dozen "top player" types over the years and rare was the occasion where they didn't come off as a bit whiny or entitled at some point during the round (arguing OB spots or some other ruling or just crying over some "unfair" or "poor" aspect of the course). Never had what I'd consider a bad round with any of them (all were generally positive experiences), but it was usually enough to take the sheen off the experience so ultimately it becomes like any other round with any other golfer.

All it took for me was playing a round with one. I don't get the chance too often, but I have played with probably a dozen "top player" types over the years and rare was the occasion where they didn't come off as a bit whiny or entitled at some point during the round (arguing OB spots or some other ruling or just crying over some "unfair" or "poor" aspect of the course). Never had what I'd consider a bad round with any of them (all were generally positive experiences), but it was usually enough to take the sheen off the experience so ultimately it becomes like any other round with any other golfer.

Interesting enough, I wonder if the same drive that makes them so good, is the same drive that makes them go on about such things? I'd like to think you can separate.

Interesting enough, I wonder if the same drive that makes them so good, is the same drive that makes them go on about such things? I'd like to think you can separate.

I've always chalked it up to them having an inflated sense of their own importance. The rules arguments boiled down to them trying to use their "celebrity" to get their way ("I play all the time, I know what I'm talking about" type stuff). Not sure how that works when they're on a card of other top players at a major event rather than a local event with local players though.

808.G.2 states: "If the total score is incorrect, improperly recorded, or missing, two penalty throws are added to the correct total score. Those penalty throws are not added when the score has been adjusted for other violations determined after the player had turned in an otherwise correct scorecard."

Generally, that is intended to avoid double penalizing a misplay of some sort (like the one you bring up involving McBeth...2016 Worlds, BTW), but it works in reverse as well, as in a case like Ricky's where a score would be adjusted due to the discovery of an unnecessary extra penalty that needed to be deducted from the originally reported score.

Thanks man. I should have looked it up. I am such a stickler about looking rules up and not going by memory and now it bit me in the ass. :)

Latest posts