• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] 2020 OS Mid of Choice

I played a ball golf course on Saturday and only had one midrange in the bag; I never threw that mid a single time during the round. Driver/driver/putter on every hole.

Depending on the course, I can see the question being "are mid ranges pointless?" Especially as the putter molds get longer and longer.

A lot of that comes down to play style. I use mids for standstill shots for max precision if I am outside of step-putt range.

I could probably put a Frisbee All-Sport in the bag and skip mids if it was a perfectly calm day.

My most OS mid is a matrix. I usually will power down a resistor for anything that has to go left-er.

I only bag 2 mids, and probably could play fine without either of them honestly.

I carry plenty of beef in the putters tho. Stego anyone?

I've tried a few, currently use a Prism Plasma Pyro. It flies like a longer zone, a touch too os for me.

I'm going to try an Ultra Dingo as those are rated in that sweet spot of 5 5 0 3 and they feel nice in the hand.

CryZtal Drone
Been carrying the same one for almost 4 years, still doesn't turn. The thing to me that is great about the Drone is that it has more of a PD overstable finish, rather than a FB finish. Also over the past 2 years I have toned down on long harp FH shots and now use this at 50% to accomplish the same thing.

I can get surprising distance with these when I really lay into one, that being said, I don't do that too often. Having a reliable straight to fade midrange does seem like something that is very nice to have in the windy midwest.

To note on the BigZ plastic I have one that I would say the feel is similar to ESP and it flies pretty similar to my Cryztal ones. The only big difference I noticed is if I accidentally roll my wrist on the FH the bigz has less ability to come out of the turn

My OS mid of choice is the Bard. VIP, 177. Had it for years, and it just delivers.

I play in wind almost always, and when they are really blowing, I reach for the Retro Trident. Not technically a mid, but speed 6, blunt nosed, never understood why Lat axed it. It fears no headwind.

DGA Quake. I've started with a Gator in this slot (never clicked), moved to the mortar (great disc in older runs that I didn't want to hunt down), the justice (to OS) and have settled on the Quake. It is the perfect OS mid. It gets a nice forward push before a hard fade. You can get real distance out of it without ever worrying about turning it over. And, it is great for forehands as well. I found a proline with a slight dome that glides a little. I am trying to beat it in, if it loses LSS before HSS I will be stoked.

Pro Line Quake for the win. From my experience it offers the most glide while still being a true OS workhorse when it matters most.

I primarily use a Glow Recon Mortar for the OS mid slot. Occasionally I will swap it out for a MF Champ Gator or ESP Zone if I feel like mixing up my bag a bit.

Lucid Suspect for me. Beefy when new, beats into a reliably straight disc when thrown FH with full power. Has nice fade when powered down. It skips nicely when thrown low. I've tried a Gator for a long while, it gets the job done, I just like the release on the Suspect more.

I've got a 5x Z Zone and an ESP Buzzz OS I've been using in this slot. The shallower profile of the Zone makes it easier to approach with, while I find the deeper Buzzz OS easier to rip on full power consistently. Still, the flight is so similar (with the Zone being a little more beefy) and I use the Zone around the basket all the time that I'm wondering if it's just redundant to have the Buzzz OS in my bag.

I've got a 5x Z Zone and an ESP Buzzz OS I've been using in this slot. The shallower profile of the Zone makes it easier to approach with, while I find the deeper Buzzz OS easier to rip on full power consistently. Still, the flight is so similar (with the Zone being a little more beefy) and I use the Zone around the basket all the time that I'm wondering if it's just redundant to have the Buzzz OS in my bag.

I bagged a Zone & BuzzzOS for a while but dropped the Zone. At the time I liked the separation between my PA1 & BuzzzOS.

Last edited:
I've been throwing my Z-FLX Zone much more than the Buzzz OS lately...but the OS still holds that spot down.

I've been throwing my Z-FLX Zone much more than the Buzzz OS lately...but the OS still holds that spot down.

One thing that stood out to me about the BuzzzOS was how well it held up (in Z at least). My Champion Caiman has lost some HSS & comes out of my hand noticeably more sluggish after moderate use. I love the grip on the Caiman though.

Icon Recluse, being flat-top, feels great FH.
Legend Pursuit, when needing just a touch less OS than the Recluse, tad more glide too.