• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2021 Pro Earnings

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
From my 2017 Pro Earnings thread...https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3256887
There was a noticeable raise in player earnings this year. Last year 8 players earned 20K or more(including one woman Catrina). Ricky had the most with 59.2k 2nd was paul with 44.0. Nobody else over 30k.

This year there were 14 that made 20k or more(including 2 women Paige and Cat, Sarah hokom was close with 19.3). Rick was top again with 79.2 Paul had 69.4 Paige was 3rd with 41.3 and Sexton made 31.2.

It will be interesting to see what happens with these numbers in 2018...

Things have changed quite a bit in 4yrs...

Here's the money ranking from 2017 and the rough stats are above...https://www.pdga.com/players/stats?...untry=All&StateProv=All&order=Prize&sort=desc

The first page is the top20 and the person in 20th place is Josh Anthon with $15,000(weird that he won exactly $15k in 11 events, lol) and there are 3 women who averaged $27,200ish.

Here's 2021...https://www.pdga.com/players/stats?...untry=All&StateProv=All&order=Prize&sort=desc

Top earners
1. Paul $88,903
2. Ricky $79,429
3. MissyG $67,029
4. PaigeP $64,249
5. Calvin $59,785

There are 36 total who made $20 or more, including 10 women.

Unlike in '17, you have to go all the way down to the bottom of the 3rd page to find Aaron Gossage in 58th place, who's the first person under $15k and there are now 5 women in the top20 who averaged a staggering $54,600ish.

Notables:

First time since 2016 that PP wasn't top woman.
Paul's also a 5x money champ now
Top Masters, Shasta Criss $13,326
Top overall Euro player is Kristen Tattar $17,567. It's probably more than that also because she has 5 wins in Europe that don't have a payout listed. She also just beat out Thomas Gilbert for top foreign player.

In general it's a good thing that more players are able to make enough to support touring. I think as fans we all want to see more tournaments close at the very end, so the more players at any given event the better in that regard.

I do think those numbers are a bit deceiving though since we're starting to see some significantly higher payouts at certain events. It's not a knock on Missy at all, but almost half of her earnings came from the DGPT Championship. By all means she definitely deserved the victory, but on the FPO side how would you quantify who had the best year? Missy because of earnings? Cat because she won Worlds? Paige because of a different reason?

In general it's a good thing that more players are able to make enough to support touring. I think as fans we all want to see more tournaments close at the very end, so the more players at any given event the better in that regard.

I do think those numbers are a bit deceiving though since we're starting to see some significantly higher payouts at certain events. It's not a knock on Missy at all, but almost half of her earnings came from the DGPT Championship. By all means she definitely deserved the victory, but on the FPO side how would you quantify who had the best year? Missy because of earnings? Cat because she won Worlds? Paige because of a different reason?

I thought about that and should have posted that both Queen and Gannon would still have been included in the over $20k list even before the 30k payout...

...BUT, i wouldn't use the money itself as a factor for who had the better year. It's more difficult to play well enough to win at a course like Idlewild than it is at Winthrop(even with the event pressure) but Paul won more than double the payout that Klein did for his win at IO

I thought about that and should have posted that both Queen and Gannon would still have been included in the over $20k list even before the 30k payout...

...BUT, i wouldn't use the money itself as a factor for who had the better year. It's more difficult to play well enough to win at a course like Idlewild than it is at Winthrop(even with the event pressure) but Paul won more than double the payout that Klein did for his win at IO

It is waaaaay more difficult to win USDGC than Idlewild.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to make of the DGPT Championship the first couple of years but overall I think it's growing on me. The seeding format incentivizes players to bank points in order to get a bye and better their odds of making it further. I liked how mid round you'd see players start getting aggressive because they knew they had to gain strokes to make it to the next day. Entertainment wise I think it works, and the high payout generates interest with the pros. Only disconnect really is does the event really carry any prestige at this point or does anybody even really care? I say that because it kinda feels like an exhibition event where everybody gets paid well at the end.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to make of the DGPT Championship the first couple of years but overall I think it's growing on me. The seeding format incentivizes players to bank points in order to get a bye and better their odds of making it further. I liked how mid round you'd see players start getting aggressive because they knew they had to gain strokes to make it to the next day. Entertainment wise I think it works, and the high payout generates interest with the pros. Only disconnect really is does the event really carry any prestige at this point or does anybody even really care? I say that because it kinda feels like an exhibition event where everybody gets paid well at the end.

They certainly care more about it than the PDGA's ill conceived upcoming "new major."

Which means there are less people to beat.;)

Not really. There were 119 MPO entries at Idlewild. Of those, 16 were 1030 rated or better and 85 were rated 1000 or better.

There were 99 MPO entries at USDGC. Of those, 18 were 1030 rated or better and 88 were rated 1000 or better. And you had to probably beat between 60 and 120 people at a different event to get in.

Not really. There were 119 MPO entries at Idlewild. Of those, 16 were 1030 rated or better and 85 were rated 1000 or better.

There were 99 MPO entries at USDGC. Of those, 18 were 1030 rated or better and 88 were rated 1000 or better. And you had to probably beat between 60 and 120 people at a different event to get in.

It was a joke...

Top overall Euro player is Kristen Tattar $17,567. It's probably more than that also because she has 5 wins in Europe that don't have a payout listed. She also just beat out Thomas Gilbert for top foreign player.

Probably not. Europe is weird with payout rules; you don't have to do payouts for C-tiers at all and those were all C-tiers.

(Sorry, thread drift...)

Agree with all of this. The small field size bothered me initially, but now I think of it like this: everyone who earned enough points to get invited to the Tour Championship has already "made the cut." They made the cash line, and the oddball format is just to decide how the year-end bonus pot gets divvied up.

I think it's as prestigious as it can be, given that the event has only existed for a few years. The title of DGPT Champion is sufficiently lofty. I think people are still getting used to that being A Thing. This is weird, but a special edition disc would make it feel more "real" to me. Like say, a Nathan Queen DGPT Champion signature Star Wraith. Maybe that's just my rampant consumerism showing.

(Sorry, thread drift...)

Agree with all of this. The small field size bothered me initially, but now I think of it like this: everyone who earned enough points to get invited to the Tour Championship has already "made the cut." They made the cash line, and the oddball format is just to decide how the year-end bonus pot gets divvied up.

I think it's as prestigious as it can be, given that the event has only existed for a few years. The title of DGPT Champion is sufficiently lofty. I think people are still getting used to that being A Thing. This is weird, but a special edition disc would make it feel more "real" to me. Like say, a Nathan Queen DGPT Champion signature Star Wraith. Maybe that's just my rampant consumerism showing.

then we can start a thread about overpriced discs

Latest posts