• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 MVP Open at Maple Hill (Sep 22 - Sep 25)

I was spotting on hole 1, down by the green. When we heard that FPO was going to a playoff, all the staff, security, etc. were getting ready for the playoff (and crowd) to come to us. Some spectators also rushed over to position themselves behind the basket of hole 1 and were disappointed to learn that the playoff had started on 18 and was already over before they knew it started.

i watched all lead rounds post pro and didnt even realize it

i wish it was endless

loooove watching this course

i cant wait to play it

Was Maple Hill playoff set up as a cumulative strokes for both hole 18 AND hole 1 combined? Like a 'final 2'?
no. Play 18, tie, go to 1. Tie, back to 18.
Ok. I think that's what they proposed, and PDGA said no. I didn't catch womens final round….
I guess I should've said "sudden death".
It is as seedlings first said.

The playoff was announced as a 2-hole aggregate score playoff using - in order - 18 and 1, where if the players remained tied after 2 holes it would advance to a sudden-death playoff alternating holes 18 and 1. Per the broadcast - this wound up being nixed at some point during the event because the PDGA came back to them that they had waited too long to submit the waiver and it had not yet been approved.

I think, overall, it was weird and I preferred what they did - simply going to a sudden death using 18 and 1.

I like the idea of an aggregate hole playoff followed by sudden death play. But I don't like that they did it using only 2 holes. In traditional golf the PGA Championship does this with a 3-hole aggregate and The Open does this with a 4-hole aggregate. I like 3. It gives the playoff some time to breath and for a narrative arc to develop. Two holes just doesn't feel like enough for that, even if subjectively it may be some years.

It is as seedlings first said.

The playoff was announced as a 2-hole aggregate score playoff using - in order - 18 and 1, where if the players remained tied after 2 holes it would advance to a sudden-death playoff alternating holes 18 and 1. Per the broadcast - this wound up being nixed at some point during the event because the PDGA came back to them that they had waited too long to submit the waiver and it had not yet been approved.

Not quite.

When we arrived on site last week, we were told the playoff was published as a 2 hole aggregate. While I love the idea, the rules are pretty clear - you must do sudden death.

I informed Steve Dodge and Jeff Spring of this on Wednesday before the event started. They requested a waiver for this. I submitted the waiver request that evening. It was denied thursday morning. I relayed this back to the staff.

Why it took until Sunday to update is not something I'm sure of. But the final word of no was relayed at the start of the event by me.

Not quite.

When we arrived on site last week, we were told the playoff was published as a 2 hole aggregate. While I love the idea, the rules are pretty clear - you must do sudden death.

I informed Steve Dodge and Jeff Spring of this on Wednesday before the event started. They requested a waiver for this. I submitted the waiver request that evening. It was denied thursday morning. I relayed this back to the staff.

Why it took until Sunday to update is not something I'm sure of. But the final word of no was relayed at the start of the event by me.

I wonder why it was denied.

Not quite.

Ahhh gotcha. It sounds like maybe it was simply a case where the only people who "needed to know" that weren't may have been the broadcast team? Maybe, simply, a case of no one realizing they "needed" to know until it came to the point where it became clear a playoff might happen? Not a crazy oversight in my eyes.

I watched the final B9 from MVP for Simon's card last night. Interesting perspective/illusion on hole #10 (uphill castle hole). When Callaway and Bell make their upshot, the camera is slightly off to the side of the castle. When they go to make their putts and finish out, the camera has shifted position. The camera shift and the placement of the big rock next to the castle makes it appear as if the discs were moved before they putt. At least that's how it looked to me when I first watched it (they were not, just and optical illusion)

See what you think.

I love to see a guy win a major for the first time. That is why I was so disappointed that Corey Ellis lost in heartbreaking fashion for the second time in just a few months. That drive on 18 the last round was really unbelievable.

On another note, is there another course that has as many great, memorable, and picturesque holes as Maple Hill?