• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 DGPT Play It Again Sports Jonesboro Open (pres. by Prodigy)

Final round Eagle and Calvin were fighting each other to lose, giving away strokes only to be given strokes right back. Turns out Eagle won that battle.

Intentionally forcing paying viewers to watch ads when they paid for a subscription could be considered it's own brand of malice (and not incompetence), but that is another story I suppose.

Hmmm. Yet peacock, Hulu, Disney+, and soon Netflix, (and I'm sure others) all have a tier that does the same. Could it possibly be that's an actual solid business model?

Guess Evaliina's putting didn't bite her today. Shot the hot round for FPO and climbed 9 spots for a top 5 Finnish.

She was 89% C1X. She'll be dangerous every time she's putting like that.

See attachment

That said, Kat's heart out on her sleeve, post round celebration was fun to watch. Pretty sure this is her first DGPT win. If you didn't catch her backstory, it's worth a watching the first few minutes of Jomez's FPO R1F9 coverage, just for that.

True. Ironically, though she is a youngster who hasn't been pro the entire DGPT era. She finished second at 18-under Junior Worlds in 2019 to Melody Castruita, Aria's older sister.

Re MPO: I was hoping for another playoff.

Would have been interesting, but Calvin might have had an edge there as well given last year's playoff, and the men starting on hole #1.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-02 111052.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 111052.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 14
Brian is great, very knowledgeable. I will listen to him all day. He does a nice series for Discreet on Youtube, and if you are into podcasts, his "The Flight Diary" drops are a fantastic listen. He stopped a few years ago, but the back catalogue of interviews with fantastic players are all there.

100% agree. I spoke to him briefly in Jonesboro and specifically complimented him on "The Flight Diaries." He said that it should be coming back soon, that they are getting some technology things established and he hopes new episodes will be coming later this season.

Hmmm. Yet peacock, Hulu, Disney+, and soon Netflix, (and I'm sure others) all have a tier that does the same. Could it possibly be that's an actual solid business model?.....

While this is true, I don't consider this to negate my statement that it could be considered it's own brand of malice, lol.

DGN is the only channel I stream, and I don't pay for cable TV. It sounds like you are more used to companies double dipping than I am. That's cool, at the end of the day it is up to each consumer to decide what they are willing to tolerate.

Should Eagle be criticized for trying the hero shot on 18? I think so.

If Eagle's goal was to guarantee himself a 2nd place finish then the hero shot was a mistake.
If Eagle's goal was to tie Heimburg then the hero shot was the right choice even if the odds of making the shot were very, very low.

I think all the top players (McBeth, Heimburg, Wysocki, Dickerson, Conrad, et al) go for the hero shot.

Heimburg DID go for the hero shot. Eagle seemed to take a Simon line and paid for it into (what I'm presuming to be) a stiff headwind.

I think all the top players (McBeth, Heimburg, Wysocki, Dickerson, Conrad, et al) go for the hero shot.

I love that about them. Heimburg did it with the putt on 15, too. Round 1 he watched the disc roll down the hill after hitting the base. Still went for it.

Then the putt on 16 right at the lake. Incredible.

I love that about them. Heimburg did it with the putt on 15, too. Round 1 he watched the disc roll down the hill after hitting the base. Still went for it.

Then the putt on 16 right at the lake. Incredible.

I would guess that players that aren't as financially secure and/or haven't had many podium finishes would probably play for 2nd place in that situation.

Calvin's putt on 16 took some onions after what happened on 15.

Just watched R3B9 and appreciating this statement. Ice Man Vinnie seized the moment(um), with that putt.

I don't see that eagles play on 18 was an attempt at a hero shot. He did the same thing the first two rounds. In round two his shot ended within 30 ft of Calvin's shot. I think he felt it was the best opportunity to get in position for birdie with his playing style. He doesn't have that straight rip the way Vinny does. There were a few other holes where he played a big wide hyzer as well--it's just his style of play.

100% agree. I spoke to him briefly in Jonesboro and specifically complimented him on "The Flight Diaries." He said that it should be coming back soon, that they are getting some technology things established and he hopes new episodes will be coming later this season.

That's great to hear, and thanks for posting that here. As a 2019 born disc golfer, his podcasts really helped to fill in the history of the sport for me. I had no idea about Sarah Hokom's car accident on the way to the final round of Worlds, why JK stopped playing, etc.

I don't see that eagles play on 18 was an attempt at a hero shot. He did the same thing the first two rounds. In round two his shot ended within 30 ft of Calvin's shot. I think he felt it was the best opportunity to get in position for birdie with his playing style. He doesn't have that straight rip the way Vinny does. There were a few other holes where he played a big wide hyzer as well--it's just his style of play.

I think the key was okay what you know. Granted the wind was up, but I'm guessing he felt his chances of a safe drive over the top were as good or better than a low line he hadn't played.

You can't blame Eagle for sticking with his game plan and doing what worked the the first two rounds.

If his final round tee shot worked out like either of the other rounds, who knows? We could be having an entirely different conversation.

But that's not how things worked out, and Vinnie gets
the W.

Top pros can play conservatively and still play 1030 disc golf. This gets you a top 10 finish. But to win, it is becoming more the norm that riskier shots will be needed. See Vinny's putt on 17. That was an all or nothing putt. Course designers seem to be getting better at these risk/reward shots/holes.

Eagle blew his chance at Jonesboro, Williams a few weeks back.

It's a wonder these guys are even pros.

We need to open up a new feature called the DGCR virtual caddie. When these players have a tough lie or a difficult decision, they can call on the top tier internet virtual caddies for advice.

It will be emergency code 888. Virtual caddies will get a hindsight ranking for each hole/throw that they critique after the fact.

She should have laid up there.
Should have thrown a (slower/faster) disc off the tee.
Can't believe he didn't go for it on 18?!?!

Probably should focus on stand-stills for a while before trying out the x step...

Latest posts