• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 Innova Blue Ridge Championship at North Cove (DGPT Silver)

porkturtle

Par Member
Anybody have any insight/thoughts on the course or this new Silver Series tournament this weekend? Will Jomez be covering this? Central Coast? Other?

Anybody have any insight/thoughts on the course or this new Silver Series tournament this weekend? Will Jomez be covering this? Central Coast? Other?

Central Coast.

Interesting trend of pairing a dull Elite Series golf course with a more dynamic Silver Series course...(Austin:Brock Park, MCO:North Ridge, OTB:Milo McIver).

I see that round 1 of FPO is up now on Central Coast. Will the MPO be up at some point this afternoon?

Courses look spectacular!

Seems like none of the courses I play have a significant number of tee shots with no trees immediately off the tee or at the initial landing zones, while nearly every course pros play have 6 to 10+ holes with relatively wide open tee shots. I know their courses are not easier, but I'd love more holes where there are options off the tee.

This might be the second bit of DGPT coverage I watch this year (I watched Waco final round). Mostly because I'm super-curious how the pros will play the course all of the college kids just played.

I'll probably watch Champions Cup as well, because I can't get enough of WR Jackson (the Calvin v. Hammes final round battle is by far my most-watched DG round of the past ten years, though it probably hasn't caught up with USDGC 2005 or 2007 which I watched so so so often before I started watching CCDG/Jomez stuff in like 2016).

The course is beautiful. I watched the first round of FPO yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it apart from the spotty cellular coverage.

Kristin played excellent, controlled golf. Henna and Evaliina attacked a lot more and paid the price.

But again, lovely course.

Watched MPO round 2. Fantastic property. Lots of super tight lines with both OB and trees. Not sure they need the OB lines as much as they have given the amount of trees.
An interesting question from a design standpoint is how good does a property need to be before no OB is needed to provide a challenging course layout for a particular skill level? This Blue Ridge site has lots of terrain features, but it also has been cleared for a ball golf course in the past which means there are significantly wide, open fairways that designers have to scale for disc golf designs where minimal trees can be involved.

One of the clever hole designs to produce a "dogleg" without trees/mando is hole 3 on The Gorge. However, I would like it a little better if going OB on the drive was not a penalty but a trip to a tricky drop zone position maybe just halfway down the fairway where the player had to shape their "longer than ideal " shot to the basket located in the sand trap.

An interesting question from a design standpoint is how good does a property need to be before no OB is needed to provide a challenging course layout for a particular skill level? This Blue Ridge site has lots of terrain features, but it also has been cleared for a ball golf course
Great question. Trees die, but not paint and string.

Great question. Trees die, but not paint and string.

Not really pertinent when discussing a particular event with specific existing trees.

One particular hole is a 600' dogleg right. Both the drive and the upshot to the basket have to be almost perfect to score. A 4 with one OB and you are probably making a stroke on the field. Have to check the numbers.

It's lots of punishment for an already difficult hole.

Kristin doing Kristin things again; she is so danged impressive. Wow just wow.

Kristin doing Kristin things again; she is so danged impressive. Wow just wow.

I was just about to say so something that effect.
I don't see how someone can be a fan of the DGPT and not love watching her. Her first two rounds came in at 1027 & 1014.

It's gotten to the point where a "poor" showing for Kristin still cracks top 5. Granted, Paige Pierce often eclipsed 2nd place by double digits when she was in her prime. But there's no doubt that today's FPO field is much deeper than it was 5-10 years ago, with a lot more players with the skills and game to have realistic chances of winning any given event.

I think the fact that Kristin is dominating with all the talent that's out there TODAY, is truly impressive.

The last 2 holes are a different animal from what is usually on tour. They are very difficult to score on and the goal seems to be to let your opponent make mistakes instead of being aggressive and trying to birdie out. Bradley Williams said in his interview with Gannon Buhr that if he is in a position to win going into the last hole on Sunday, he will just play for par and stay where he is.

fwiw, James Conrad took an 11 on the last hole on Saturday. AJ Carey took a 15.

The interview with Buhr was very good imo BTW.

Last edited:
This course is more about distance control than anywhere else on tour that comes to mind. That requires a player to be disciplined in their approach and to be able to commit to their layups (one of the more difficult things to do imo). I'm not sure you could make a difficult course for the big dogs on the property without a lot of OB and still have room for a separate course for FPO (separate course for FPO should be a goal for all events imo). There are spots where I find it a bit excessive (15 landing zone sticks out as overly punitive) but for the most part I have enjoyed watching it. Rocks>>>>>mozzarella sticks. Aesthetics mean a lot.

I'm not sure you could make a difficult course for the big dogs on the property without a lot of OB and still have room for a separate course for FPO (separate course for FPO should be a goal for all events imo).
What about Lake Marshall ?

What about Lake Marshall ?

There is way more space at Lake Marshall as best I can tell. I didn't say you couldn't make a challenging course for the big dogs without a ton of OB, I said you might not be able to do it on this particular property and still have room for the separate course for FPO.

AJ Carey on his 15 - Hole 18. From Facebook:

AJ Carey
Sam Malone
The hole plays stroke and distance to the island. No point of exit, no drop zone. I hit in bounds 15ft from the pin on the island and rolled out 5 straight shots in a row. The hole shouldnt be allowed in PDGA play without being an X-tier. Had we played OB rules defined by the PDGA competition manual, I would have taken a 6. The island green is smaller than a C1 circle in size with OB 15-20ft from each side of the pin. I definitely should have laid up.

AJ Carey on his 15 - Hole 18. From Facebook:

AJ Carey
Sam Malone
The hole plays stroke and distance to the island. No point of exit, no drop zone. I hit in bounds 15ft from the pin on the island and rolled out 5 straight shots in a row. The hole shouldnt be allowed in PDGA play without being an X-tier. Had we played OB rules defined by the PDGA competition manual, I would have taken a 6. The island green is smaller than a C1 circle in size with OB 15-20ft from each side of the pin. I definitely should have laid up.

this is what I'm seeing.

Biscoe, I think they said it is 180 acres, so plenty of space for two courses theoretically. No idea how much is actually available for play though.

Regardless, from what I've seen, the layouts are challenging on their own. Creek OB is pretty natural, but there are some holes that seem to double down with the OB punishment when the natural terrain would challenge the players without the added OB. Scores would likely be a little lower, but I don't see that as an issue.

I don't have an issue with this being a precision course that rewards ideal landing zones. Just my opinion about how it is playing.