• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 MVP Open at Maple Hill

Damn the lost disc rule sucks. Stroke and distance for a random occurrence when there is no stroke and distance penalty anywhere else in the sport.

I don't like the new finals format either. One of the best moments in dg over the past few years was Nathan Queen winning the title- why kill the Cinderella aspect by giving even more advantage to the top guys?
What should the lost disc rule be?

Kristen is playing so well this year but I don't think she would be approaching 1000 were it not for Catrina Allen juicing the strokes/rating numbers so strongly with this mid-season collapse.

What should the lost disc rule be?
Good question. IMO even the old "last seen" rule was better than what we have now but that is obviously pretty arbitrary. The real solution would be to make things like OB carry a stroke and distance penalty as well but I assume that is unlikely to fly. Distance and no stroke would be a marginal improvement.

Kristen is playing so well this year but I don't think she would be approaching 1000 were it not for Catrina Allen juicing the strokes/rating numbers so strongly with this mid-season collapse.
1 propagator doesn't make a big difference here and C. Allen isn't playing horribly enough to drop any rounds from her rating - hardly a collapse. More like Tattar just skipping some events that could trip up her rating (DGPT - Ledgestone, Idlewild, & DGLO and European shared MPO Layout events) and playing well enough in Europe at the 3 bigger events over there (excluding R4 EDGC).

King and Salonen hopefully keep this up to give Tattar someone to chase for the win here. Stats look solid for the R1 with Tattar leading in GIR C1 just ahead of Salonen and King. Expect some putting stats to regress for the early leaders but they may benefit from any inclement weather after banking these under par strokes R1.

Good question. IMO even the old "last seen" rule was better than what we have now but that is obviously pretty arbitrary. The real solution would be to make things like OB carry a stroke and distance penalty as well but I assume that is unlikely to fly. Distance and no stroke would be a marginal improvement.
Yeah that works for unofficial stuff. Then again, there are other times where the group may have to agree to an approximate position of a players disc, so its not like it would not fly at all.

And as Im typing this, wow. First time ever Ive seen anyone throw into the lake on #1. That was weird from Klein.

Also, I thought this was the Championships already. My mistake. But again, I have no idea what a "DGPT playoff event" is. Moar points, otherwise the same?

Saw the Uli ace on 8 on the featured holes. The ace was great, but the camera setup was so awful I only noticed it was an ace when I heard people yelling so I backed it up to see what happened.

Of course, that was only possible because it is on Youtube today with DVR functionality on the live broadcast.

Regardless, terrible camera positioning.

I was gonna say this at Worlds too, but Evan Scott has mimicked the classic McBeth pre drive routine and runup to exact science. That **** would fool any movement pattern recognizing software

I don't like the new finals format either. One of the best moments in dg over the past few years was Nathan Queen winning the title- why kill the Cinderella aspect by giving even more advantage to the top guys?

It was a lot of fun watching a 12 year old kid kick Simon's and James Conrad in the Glitch World Championships. Not so much fun for the pro's.

looks like they will avoid the worst of hurricane Lee and it will pass by over night.

150936_earliest_reasonable_toa_no_wsp_34.png

Calvin had a couple of rough breaks. Eagle and Isaac were scrambling hard. Matty-O is flowing. Simon toughed it out. We get to say Kevin Jones' name all day tomorrow.

Yeah that works for unofficial stuff. Then again, there are other times where the group may have to agree to an approximate position of a players disc, so its not like it would not fly at all.

And as Im typing this, wow. First time ever Ive seen anyone throw into the lake on #1. That was weird from Klein.

Also, I thought this was the Championships already. My mistake. But again, I have no idea what a "DGPT playoff event" is. Moar points, otherwise the same?

More points, more limited field, 4 rounds instead of 3. I think that is it.
Playoffs are separated from the regular tour stops (Elite/Elite+) in that the 1.5x points always count and do not replace any prior results. DGPT Announces 2023 Points System - Disc Golf Pro Tour
Basically narrowing down the field each at DGLO and MVP Open this year and limited who could register. DGPT Announces 2023 Playoff Registration Details - Disc Golf Pro Tour

This is the last event to award DGPT points this season so new tour cards will be granted to some amount of 'new' tour players for next season - I believe mainly for those that could register for the MVP Open.

I think if a new '23 DGPT winner (like Salonen) takes down the MVP Open they would qualify for the DGPT Championship. Could potentially push out a player by moving the line up one for the qualification if the winner is currently below the line. UDisc is updating the standings page with points projections after each round.

Last edited:
looks like the huricane is going to stay just far enough away tomorrow for overcast skies and 20-30 MPH winds. Par is good for most holes.

Calvin always seems to find a way to get himself into contention. I will watch later, but the wind didn't seem to bother him much.

Latest posts