• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

23mph

We dont get much wind around here.
So when it does start blowing hard, I head straight for the golf course, I love playing in the big wind right now.
One of the funnest days I have had on the course, has been in bigger wind.
I have been known to empty my bag, throwing on a couple of the open holes.
It's definitely a learning experience.

i used to be that person who complained about the wind being too bad to play this open course in my town. but then i realized i gotta learn how to play the wind somehow. driving in the wind is no problem for me. but throw some wind my way and i will miss every putt. makes for some 4 putts. its kinda funny. all in all its golf, gotta take the good with the bad.

Focus on throwing smooth and clean. In terms of putting, you better be confident. If you aren't, putting with an upside down overstable driver helps too. Oh, there's also the old practice, practice, practice.

One of the most hilarious rounds Ashleigh and I played was on a wide open course in nowheresville Kansas. We had 50mph winds with 80mph gusts, it was hard to just walk let alone throw. I had a 15 putt with an upside down firebird get picked up and thrown over 100' behind me. After that the 20-30mph wind days just don't seem quite so frustrating. :p

These two posts are the best advice imo.
During casual rounds practice putting with your disc upside down. Try a Firebird and all of your drivers. Even Rocs are good for an upside down putt.

I had a round last week in Laramie, Wyoming where my discs would be sitting down and then a gust would pick it up and toss it, sometimes in the creek for OB.

Fact Check: Midland TX average wind speed since the beginning of March is 11, not 23. The average of your maximum daily wind speed is 20. Your average gust wind is 22. The average of your maximum gust is 29.

http://www.wunderground.com/history...014&req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

You forgot though to use the internet equation:

Real Number X 2.3 = Internet Number

To reverse this equation simply:

Internet Number / 2.3 = Real Number

This equation can be used for maximum distance figures, length of the hole you aced, etc...

Hope this help you!

We had some crazy wind yesterday and I'm not sure of the exact number but I'm guessing it was at least 30mph, probably more like 40mph. My brother was complaining the whole time but I told him that it was a good time to learn how to throw in the wind. He almost had a crazy Feldberg putt:

Although my brother's shot was much worse than this and the wind pretty much took control of it to move it by the basket. Evans Park is pretty much a wind tunnel as there are no trees around to block anything. I still don't know how to throw a good drive in the wind.

Max for the day was 37, with max gust at 46. But other than the maxes, it was mostly 25-30 with gusts 30-40.

http://www.wunderground.com/history...tml?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

I'm sure that was true but all that data is collected downtown at the place that houses older folks. Broadview tower is what I think they call it. That's about 7 miles north of the municipal golf course and a few from the country club. Both of which are in areas that get the worst of it. Especially the municipal. It's out of town on highway 99 in absolutely no cover. No wind breaks at all. It usually feels about 15-20 mph gustier on windy spring days.

For me the numbers are irrelevant. I know when I'm getting knocked over just walking into a head wind I have nothing in my bag that can combat that well. I had a super OS VIP Giant that I had to hyzer flip and it still turned. My underworld in tailwinds flew like a XXX.

This year I'm hoping it's really calm and all the people who watch the youtube videos and expect the worse are going to be baffled and saying "this isn't bad at all" I doubt that happens though. Probably a couple windy and rainy days.

An overstable putter like a zone or sinus flat and hard at the basket would be the cure for 23mph winds and up. Putt low for headwind and higher for tailwind.

wind is just part of the game.

the important thing is to have experience with it and know what to do in various situations. know the physics of the disc and the effect of various winds from various directions.

think about strategic choices on the course that will minimize the impact of the wind. taking an upshot? consider the direction the wind will be blowing when you're on the green. maybe you want to throw past the basket in order to have a tailwind putt rather than a headwind putt.

moving to Texas was an eye opener for me. but it has been a huge catalyst for a better understanding of disc physics for me and taking time to consider the best possible shot in the present conditions.

Living in the mountains I really get spoiled. A 20mph day can really screw with my game. But it's all part of getting better. And it makes more prepared to play down in Denver where it gets pretty damn windy.

I would rather play in rain instead of constant wind gusts. I am accustomed to 10-15 knots but played in TX last year in 40+ and it was miserable. I just played a tournament in GA where the winds were around 15 - 25 knots on the Sunday of the event and the course had several elevated baskets which made it twice as hard putting as normal.

Anything below 15 is manageable. 15-20 mph winds are a little dicey and anything over 20 is definitely going to affect your throws!

Yep - 18 mph outside right now and it was really messing with my fieldwork. Oh well - good to get some practice from a variety of angles when it doesn't count for anything. Those R>L side winds were really messing with me. And wow - OAT on a mid into the wind...ouchies.

Latest posts