• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

3 weeks after lumbar spinal fusion - already lightly throwing with a putter

I had a 360 lumbar fusion at L5/S1. They went in through the front AND back for procedure.

At first I thought it would be a year before I could throw again. The discomfort, especially in the front was tremendous. But walking every day and following DR and PT instructions have made for great progress. I still have fire nerves in the legs when I wake up but a little moving around curbs that.

The Fluid Warden just came out a couple weeks ago and I had to get one, cuz well, yeah.

I started banging chains with it a little in the back yard about 5 days ago. 10-15 footers.

Only in the last 2 days, I've put 3 light throws into it and feel like the lumbar fusion really made my lower back more stable. I got about 200' on half power with the new fluid warden. I'm not gonna go out and try to launch any destroyers just yet but I'm pretty impressed how 3 weeks of recovery has made the progress it has. The reach back and pull through is smooth and the snap is still there.

I think i'll be back out playing 18 holes within an month or 6 weeks.

BUT - I would certainly not push it and will continue to talk to my PT about my limits.

Dang, dude! I hope you make a full recovery. That sounds really rough. I just wanted to commiserate with you because I have been recovering from traumatic surgery and it has been hell. Just take it one day at a time and try not to overexert yourself. Your situation sounds much more difficult than mine so I really hope you feel better! I have some pain in my side after disc golfing a few times so I think I'm not going to throw for a while :(.

What kind of guitar do you play, guitardave? I have a Strat :).

Keep on putting!

:hfive: Wow. Congrats on your Quick Recovery! :thmbup: Hope you are back to 100% soon, and pain free.

I had a fusion of my T12 to my L2. Stick with your PT and stretch everday. 3 years later I'm playing disc everday and throwing further than before my accident.

Nice! As anyone who has recovered from an injury knows, listen to the pt! Don't get in a hurry, just take it at the reccomended pace.

And hey, if you are good to work the putter for now then work that putter. Your game will be on point when you get back to full throws.

Front AND back? That's rough man. Just don't overdo it, the last thing you want is a big setback. But keep up the good work! Sounds like your well on the way to a full recovery

Listen to your body. Play on low doses of anti-inflammatory, relaxers, alcohol, ect.. and only test things on good days so that you have good feed back if things are right or not.
Read up on neurology and physiology of the lower spine in relation to injury and degeneration. Ask your providers for suggestions.

Had surgery on the same place at the L5/S1...my advice is to be patient! If you still have "fire legs" your body is not yet healed enough to throw even medium-length shots, in my opinion. Don't set back your recovery, it's not worth it!

If you can putt without pain, stick with that for another three weeks at least. Then gradually go to the mid-ranges for a couple more weeks.

Get you a good mushroom supplement and speed up that healing even more! The general rule is the more types of mushrooms the better. Lots of info on different types and benefits.

Wow I didn't realize this had gotten so many replies! 2 years later, I finally got back at it. Had some progress early on but had to move and that was a setback. Finally got into playing regularly again in May this year. Took a break of over a year. Just shot a 47 today at the local course today ... I do have pics of the surgical aftermath if anyone's still interested... ;-)