• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

30th Annual Kansas City Wide Open

Timko

* Ace Member *
As your 2012 disc golf tour comes to life, the Kansas City Flying Disc Club, in association with Disc Golf World and Dynamic Discs, invite you to join us for our celebration of the 30th Annual Kansas City Wide Open Disc Golf Tournament. That's right, it's been 30 years of fun and Frisbee in the City of Fountains! The first weekend in June is our spot and we have been working diligently to put together an amazing program of activities for all of our disc golfing guests. As most of you know, there is a rich and vibrant disc golf history here in KC, and we hope that many of you who are part of that history, will return to play and to share some memories.

This year's Celebration will be the biggest yet as we welcome players for this PDGA NT, A-Tier, and B-Tier extravaganza! You'll have a chance to enjoy the sights, sounds, and tastes of Kansas City at the Saturday Evening Soiree featuring the wild and wacky "XXX Games," LIVE music, a meet-and-greet with former Champions, and a world record attempt. But don't forget what awaits ALL of you who come to our wonderful city—some of the nation's most-heralded disc golf courses and a Kansas City disc golf community and staff who is honored to host once more and eager to make your trip here memorable. Don't miss this historical celebration of one of America's most acclaimed disc golf tournaments!

About the Events
We've organized this tournament differently from previous years in that we're running three PDGA-sanctioned events concurrently. Because the purpose of the National Tour is to feature the top players in the Men's and Women's Open divisions, the NT will include only these divisions. The A-Tier will consist of all the age-based pro divisions and all advanced divisions. Both of these events will play the same five 18-hole courses over three days. The B-Tier is a two-day, three-round event for the intermediate, recreational, novice, and older junior divisions. The new and developing players in these divisions will get to play three of the same courses that the pros and advanced play.

We hope that you'll choose the 30th Annual Kansas City Wide Open. In addition to a lot of great golf and several off-the-course opportunities to enjoy Kansas City and other disc golfers, we will have player packages for all divisions and generous payouts.

For more information, including sponsorship and volunteer opportunities, contact: Event Director, Crazy John Brooks at 913.220.0591 or Competition Director, Rick Rothstein at 816.471.3472.

- - -

If you have any questions, please post them here and I'll do my best to answer them. I'm laying out Rosedale, Swope, Blue Springs, and Waterworks.

I'll be there. Probably going to donate to MA1 to play all 5 courses. Assuming I can take off work.

Advanced play Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Intermediate and below only play Saturday and Sunday.

The 5 courses are:
Blue Valley Blue
Young Park
Waterworks
Rosedale
Swope

Greetings all. first post here. Been tracking and reviewing all forums for about eight months. Coincidentally thats when I picked up dg. Which leads me to my question. Seriously considering playing the wide open this year. never played tour before. I average about +2 @ water works 118 holes. Last week on all the long pin locations I sho out even par twice and had.a round of +4. Scores at rosedale are comparable. Average about 330 off tee with a couple rare throws 400+.question is what division should I enter? Thinking novice because I've neverd before and im sure first touny jitters will inflate my score. However I feel like I may be accused of sandbagging if I play to my ability....any thoughts?

Those are pretty good scores on those configurations. I would play Intermediate if you're interested in a 2 day event; that will offer you the most competition. If you want to play all 5 courses (and 3 days) you'll have to play advanced.

I'm interested in playing this too, which would be an easier division, the men's amateur, or the 19 and under junior division?

19 and under will only be 2 days, where advanced will be 3. The 19 and under would probably be easier competition. You'll get to play with better players in Advanced.

There's currently no Juniors registered.

Here is some more info on the KCWO festivities and a link to Crazy John Brooks article on pdga.com.

http://www.pdga.com/crazy-john-brooks-welcomes-you-to-kc

Player Pack - SuperColor ESP Buzzz, Performance Shirt, Dynamic Disc Dirt Bag, 30th Annual KCWO Commemorative Program - 32 page magazine tracks each of the previous 29 Wide Open, Vintage issue of Disc Golf World News--a large glossy, well-written magazine from years gone by.

Prizes based on finished, and some CTPS too.(but you'll have to earn these!)

Other Activities
Saturday Night Soiree featuring a full Italian dinner.
DJ
Plus everything else listed in Crazy John's article on the pdga website.

Besides what a player gets, there are even more opportunities.
1. Meet and greet Ken Climo at Disc Golf World on Friday night
2. Dynamic Disc Team Clinic on the DD KC Store on Friday night
3. That's right: TWO disc golf stores in one town to check out!
4. Triple X games - $20 includes your Passport Disc. Field is limited to participate in some wild and wacky Frisbee games. Fun and prizes.
5. Low cost camping at Swope Park - $10 a night
6. Final 9 at Swope featuring top 4 men and top 3 women
7. Sunday's free Concert in the Park after the Final 9
8. DD Doubles on Friday at Rosedale
9. Watching the top pros at Blue Valley and/or Wilbur Young on Friday
10. Becoming part of a 30-year tradition.

It should be a blast!!

Nikko has played in KC. A lot. He finished 4th last year, so I don't expect him to finish last cash.

Young Park is a very technical course with some decent length. I would expect him to be able to make a move there. Plus, Blue Valley is a shorter configuration than years past (7k instead of 10.5k), so he won't have to crush it out there over and over. For those who have played Blue Valley, we're basically not playing 17 and 18, removing about 2k right there.

so i signed up and just wanted to check on some things.

1. Im playing intermediate, so i need to be at rosedale on Friday between 12 and 6 to sign in correct?
2. there is no special dress code for this tournament is there?

Stoked to be signed up for my first KCWO, gonna play Intermediate ..... I'm also excited to be performing with my disc dog (Choo Choo) at Swope on Thursday in the Opening ceremonies.. Everyone be sure to check out a few of the Kansas City Disc dogs and join the fun... Hope to see ya all there

Johnny D..... Did you sign up yet??

Attachments

• DSC_3081.JPG
    DSC_3081.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 8
Dress code: NT per the comp manual. A and B- clean, neat, no offensive slogans.

B tier check in: Yes noon at rosedale on Friday fro check in.