• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

3D Printed Disc

Am I the only one who thinks the whole concept of 3D printing, while perhaps fascinating, is a bit overhyped?

Am I the only one who thinks the whole concept of 3D printing, while perhaps fascinating, is a bit overhyped?

IMHO it's not overhyped... it's in its infancy as a technology, and IMHO only has room to grow. No, it won't be a Star Trek replicator anytime soon, but it has huge potential.

Watch a few videos. Read up a little.

Pretty damn amazing technology. Not much for disc golf currently plus injection molding is way cheaper due to volume possible alone but some cool stuff going on with 3d printers.

I don't know much about the tech, but I don't see why a file couldn't be pdga approved some years down the line. You know, you purchase your favorite blend of plastic ink direct from innova - the candy red gummy champion, you log into your idisc client and download the roc3 file and press print 5 copies, several hours later you grab your 5 identical discs and head to your local tossing ground.

Not overhyped. Almost anything can be made, or at least prototyped with 3D printing now. China 3D prints entire housing developments. Prototype auto parts, construction materials, computer components... It will be huge in the near future

Just remake discs that had horrible plastic, like the Quarter K...the 3D printing plastic has to be better than the original.

Watch a few videos. Read up a little.

I have. Where do you think I came up with such a conclusion?

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/the-dark-side-of-3d-printing-10-things-to-watch/

http://gizmodo.com/why-3d-printing-is-overhyped-i-should-know-i-do-it-fo-508176750

Anyone want to live in a house made of construction waste and mine tailings? The Chinese can 3D print one for you. I hope it holds up better than some of their drywall does.

http://youtu.be/4rvKP_yfcGM

I don't know much about the tech, but I don't see why a file couldn't be pdga approved some years down the line. You know, you purchase your favorite blend of plastic ink direct from innova - the candy red gummy champion, you log into your idisc client and download the roc3 file and press print 5 copies, several hours later you grab your 5 identical discs and head to your local tossing ground.

Even more exciting: I buy the TL file, then purchase Gold Line plastic from Lat 64 and make a Gold Line TL... DG nirvana...

(wishful thinking, I know, but y'all get the idea...)

Time for a Gold line Shark....

I'd love to try this, but I fear the cheaper printers are limited to something like 6" across max. Plus, most if not all of rhe plastic they use is, I suspect, too light to make a decent weight disc. But, I'd still love to experiment to see how shape adjustments affected flight.

To the OP. Go for it!...even if it's a total failure I bet you will learn something cool.

IMHO 3D printing is too expensive to compete with injection molding for production. However, it would be lots of fun to play around with. Although I have to agree with those saying the materials/process don't seem to offer good impact resistance. The materials I've seen are nothing like the plastic used for discs. Almost no flex, and a relatively course surface.

I've had little experience purchasing 3D printed parts for my job. The 3D printed parts if memory serves were around 200g and cost $150 each, and were pretty brittle compared to other methods. The technology is developing and might compete with injection molding on day, but my gut feel is it's kind of like solar energy...it will find a healthy place in the market, but not as revolutionary as the hype suggests.

Last edited:
Just remake discs that had horrible plastic, like the Quarter K...the 3D printing plastic has to be better than the original.

I would do the original proto-type QK that the PDGA rejected. I would also try some modified versions of the QuestAT Turbo Putter. For that matter, I would play around with most of QuestAT's molds. They had some awesome ideas.

If nothing else, could make some great Disc trophies...