• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

4 Corners of the Disc Golf World

NW: Wheatland DGC, Gervais, OR
SW: Morley Field, San Diego, CA
NE: Pleasant Hill DGC, Scarborough ME
SE: Turkey Lake, Orlando, FL

The trips we took to the southeast stand out to my wife and I in terms of density of quality courses. Charlotte itself is easily the best single city we've disced in, and when you add in the NC mountains and the courses in GA and SC it's a really fantastic region to go road tripping. That said, you can't go wrong at Selah or Highbridge either, those are really standout destinations in their own right. Wisconsin in general has a ton of great places to play though they're pretty spread out throughout the state, and white there aren't a ton of truly amazing courses in Dallas it's hard to beat the sheer number of above average courses in that metro area. California is a little tougher, there are some really fantastic places to play, but they're really far apart and it's a lot harder to put together a trip to play the standouts in a reasonable amount of time.

The trips we took to the southeast stand out to my wife and I in terms of density of quality courses. Charlotte itself is easily the best single city we've disced in, and when you add in the NC mountains and the courses in GA and SC it's a really fantastic region to go road tripping. That said, you can't go wrong at Selah or Highbridge either, those are really standout destinations in their own right. Wisconsin in general has a ton of great places to play though they're pretty spread out throughout the state, and white there aren't a ton of truly amazing courses in Dallas it's hard to beat the sheer number of above average courses in that metro area. California is a little tougher, there are some really fantastic places to play, but they're really far apart and it's a lot harder to put together a trip to play the standouts in a reasonable amount of time.

^^^This...pretty much word for word.
*Though I have not yet made the Selah pilgrimage; and though as I hit as much as possible; my time on the west coast was limited.*

For a single destination, Highbridge cannot be beat. So many great courses at one venue, any one of which could make my top 10 on a given day (excluding chestnut and woodland green). Wisconsin is probably my favorite state for dg (as unbiased as possible, yeah I live here, but my opinion was the same when I lived in the neighboring state where I was born and raised to despise cheeseheads). Highbridge tops the list, but then you throw in places like Rollin Ridge and Justin trails and Winter Park and solid DG cities like Madison, Milwaukee, Stevens Point and the area surrounding Eau Claire, nothing can top it. Except maybe...

For a road trip worthy destination, it's hard to beat the southeast - Charlotte is incredible, hands down best city for dg. And as Mashnut (and consequently tallpall) eluded to, a drive to the surrounding area like triad and stoney and the mountains will leave you amazed. Throw in that the IDGC and surrounding courses are a short day's drive away, and the Southeast tops the list of destinations.

One of the most epic places to play is right in the center of the country and I will never miss the opportunity to play Ozark Mountain, throw in a day or two in St. Louis and an evening in Crystal City and you will have a very memorable experience.

The South. Selah is an experience of a lifetime, it was a great experience, loved both courses, would definitely play them again if I'm in the area, but don't feel the need to go out of my way for them. Haven't played trey texas yet, so I would plan a trip back to the area to spend some time at both locations. The Lodge isn't too far north and is one that I will go out of the way for (once it has been repaired, for now if I was in the area maybe I'd stop by to volunteer some labor to help rebuild). I had a blast in the Houston area, Austin was pretty awesome, and DFW had solid courses but nothing spectacular.

The West. Cali had some of my favorites, but they are few and far between, I don't see the state as a disc golf destination area, more of a culture and natural destination area with some great disc golf thrown in. The same can be said for most of the western states, some great golf in Montana, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, etc, but course bagging involved more driving than throwing.

Northeast. Pennsylvania, Delaware, New York, (Can't speak for Maine really, though from what I've heard it could easily be included), all have amazing courses with not too much driving in between, definitely a road trip worthy destination area that I plan to return to someday.

That's all I have for now, I could go on and on, get me started on talking about courses, specifically my favorite courses, and I can hold a conversation for days...

Since mr. dewgarita chimed in, I should also note that I grew up in the mid atlantic and played a lot of early rounds in that region. I periodically get back there to visit family and old stomping grounds and have always told everyone that the region is underappreciated and was instigating great, forward design techniques (some a decade or more) ahead of their acceptance elsewhere. I am referring to Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, etc.

Unfortunately, in my early time spent in the northeast, there were literally no courses available to play. Just last year, I had the opportunity to play a handful, and there is great disc golf there as well.

Last edited:
I live in Chicagoland. Which is a close drive to parts of WI and MI, but sometimes visit my hometown in central IL. How is the DG in southern to mid MI? Would it be with the trip or should I go to WI instead? Indiana's Lemon Lake DG would be on my way to MI.

For a single destination, Highbridge cannot be beat. So many great courses at one venue, any one of which could make my top 10 on a given day (excluding chestnut and woodland green). Wisconsin is probably my favorite state for dg (as unbiased as possible, yeah I live here, but my opinion was the same when I lived in the neighboring state where I was born and raised to despise cheeseheads). Highbridge tops the list, but then you throw in places like Rollin Ridge and Justin trails and Winter Park and solid DG cities like Madison, Milwaukee, Stevens Point and the area surrounding Eau Claire, nothing can top it. Except maybe...

For a road trip worthy destination, it's hard to beat the southeast - Charlotte is incredible, hands down best city for dg. And as Mashnut (and consequently tallpall) eluded to, a drive to the surrounding area like triad and stoney and the mountains will leave you amazed. Throw in that the IDGC and surrounding courses are a short day's drive away, and the Southeast tops the list of destinations.

One of the most epic places to play is right in the center of the country and I will never miss the opportunity to play Ozark Mountain, throw in a day or two in St. Louis and an evening in Crystal City and you will have a very memorable experience.

The South. Selah is an experience of a lifetime, it was a great experience, loved both courses, would definitely play them again if I'm in the area, but don't feel the need to go out of my way for them. Haven't played trey texas yet, so I would plan a trip back to the area to spend some time at both locations. The Lodge isn't too far north and is one that I will go out of the way for (once it has been repaired, for now if I was in the area maybe I'd stop by to volunteer some labor to help rebuild). I had a blast in the Houston area, Austin was pretty awesome, and DFW had solid courses but nothing spectacular.

The West. Cali had some of my favorites, but they are few and far between, I don't see the state as a disc golf destination area, more of a culture and natural destination area with some great disc golf thrown in. The same can be said for most of the western states, some great golf in Montana, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, etc, but course bagging involved more driving than throwing.

Northeast. Pennsylvania, Delaware, New York, (Can't speak for Maine really, though from what I've heard it could easily be included), all have amazing courses with not too much driving in between, definitely a road trip worthy destination area that I plan to return to someday.

That's all I have for now, I could go on and on, get me started on talking about courses, specifically my favorite courses, and I can hold a conversation for days...

Man, I agree with all of this :thmbup: (except for maybe Houston :confused:) Makes me want to get out to Selah to see what I've been missing from that corner :D

the region is underappreciated and was instigating great, forward design techniques (some a decade or more) ahead of their acceptance elsewhere. I am referring to Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, etc.

Truth, they don't have the big names like Houck, but the culture of good course design has grassroots in the mid-atlantic :thmbup:

I've got:

North (or is it Central)- Flip, MI
Central (I guess)- Idlewild/Coyote Trace/Holler, KY
East Coast- Richmond Hill, NC
West Coast - Golden Gate, CA (Only course I got to play out there... it is only alright)

I still have lots of courses that I want to get to.

Latest posts