• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] 4 disc you use for strong wind conditions:head, tail, L2R, R2L

I'm new to the forums and DG in general, so I guess I haven't experienced the irritations of MVP fanboys.

Give it some time. It'll set in.

Haven't quite figured out crosswind play but:

Headwind: fresh Star Valk or Firebird (depending on how stout the wind is)
Tailwind: seasoned Pro Valk

How strong?

350 tail would be an x comet or a patriot. Rhbh.

350 head would be a tesla.

L/r would be a teebird.

R/l would be a patriot or a teebird, one of the two. hang it out high and right, let it flatten (or rip it flat to begin with if it's a tb) and then fade. Depends on how I feel that day. Probably the teebird, take some variables out of the equation since in crosswinds you really just wanna throw flat.

At 350' this would be my go to setup:

headwind: Lucid Felon

tailwind: VIP Tursas or Recycled Saint

right to left: Opto Saint

left to right: Opto Saint Pro

FH Firebird for all but tailwind, then Teebird.

BH Teebird for all except tailwind, beat Yao for that.

All Max weight.

Headwinds, L->R FH, and R->L BH: CFR PDs, Champ Firebirds, concave Zones, Rhynos
Tailwinds, R->L FH, and L->R BH: Icon Mongoose, Icon and Excel Patriots, Gold Flying Squirrels, Opto Pures

Headwind for now I like my Ascent.
Tailwind I like the Diamond.
I don't alter what I throw for crosswinds

I would throw a proton volt for most of these shots. If the wind is super strong, I'd throw a champ firebird and come up short

Headwind: faf Lucid Felon or Euro Glow PD
Tailwind: Lucid Witness
Right to left: Lucid Truth
Left to right: S-PD

For RHBH @350'
Headwind XXX if its strong enough, flat S PD if its lighter
Left to Right CPD
Right to Left CFD (if my forehand is feeling good PD RHFH)
Tailwind Mercy or Comet

Last edited:
Head: Firebird, Tail: Roadrunner or FD. Those are easy. It's the crosswinds that get ya. A lot of guys say "never show the belly of the disc to the wind." Except, sometimes that's better. A flat Teebird type disc will tip over in a L-R wind and sail like a Valkyrie, and fight out at the end. A hyzer in the same wind would just get pushed down for a loss of distance.

And if you're really clean, it doesn't matter which way the crosswind is coming as long as you have a neutral disc that you can throw FLAT.

A lot of guys say "never show the belly of the disc to the wind." Except, sometimes that's better.
Yup. I have not yet figured out R to L, but with L to R, something a little OS for my power thrown anny catches the wind, but has enough fight back to keep from going to ground.

RHBH
Headwind and L2R: Saint Pro or Villain
R2L: Saint or Fury
Tailwind: Fury or Diamond
Breezy or Calm: Saint

Latest posts