• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

4 finger power grip question

NatiBuckeye

Eagle Member
Ok I have attached pics to try and clear this up. With some of my new discs I have had a hard time getting 4 fingers tucked under the rim of my drivers. (Boss, Force) This has resulted in me noticing my grip more and wondering if I am correct or not.

My normal grip is shown from the top with my thumb sticking up. The disc lies under my index fingers pad and is in line with my arm when extended.

1st question. Is this correct or should it be under all the pads (as shown palm up pic)?

2nd question. If you notice the pic with my fingers tucked under the rim you can see my index finger resides on the ridge not tucked under. Is this what most of you do? Or do you get each finger tucked under as shown by most pros?

Attachments

• IMG00045.jpg
    IMG00045.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG00046.jpg
    IMG00046.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG00047.jpg
    IMG00047.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 41
3rd my thumb cannot rest on my index finger as Ive heard its supposed to be. If you notice its out from the edge and rests in front of my fingers. Is this bad? Do most of you press down right on top of your fingers?

Attachments

• IMG00048.jpg
    IMG00048.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 15
I'm needing to know too because this is just how I hold it. I've wandered about thumb placement just like you. The Feldberg and Climo dvd says press down where your index finger is. But I can't seems my fingers are too short and thick.

I wrap my index finger all they way under rim, unlike how you have it shown. Also my pinkie placement is a bit different than yours. Mine is parallel with the other fingers whereas yours is angled in towards them. One other thing is that I curl my ring and middle finger into the rim a bit more instead of having the pads flat against it. I'm not really sure if this is the "right" way, it's just the way I do it.

I guess Im really just looking for the most comftorable way I doubt there is one true right way.

Thanks Skurf for the description im gonna try it out for feel

Oh and if people can pics would be sweet

lol while trying grips I realized I forgot to mention

***I broke my pinkie playing football awhile back so it will not always look right its all bent up lol

I don't have my thumb in the "right" placement usually either. I like to have it digging into the plastic on the inside of the rim, pressing down. It always seems to give it a little more snap for me.

Might've seen this already, but here is a pretty good place to get some information.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

They talk about thumb position about a 1/4th of the way down. I personally use the thumb neutral position with power grip version 2 (they show different grips near the bottom). I don't even think I apply much pressure with my thumb, it is mostly my thumb pad. The thumb is more for controlling my nose angle. I could be wrong... I haven't tried throwing without my thumb, but it feels pretty sturdy if I lift it off the disc.

I've only been playing since May but can throw 300-320 feet on flat ground, so I feel like I'm on the right track atleast.

Last edited:
3rd my thumb cannot rest on my index finger as Ive heard its supposed to be. If you notice its out from the edge and rests in front of my fingers. Is this bad? Do most of you press down right on top of your fingers?
You don't look like you have your thumb forward as described in that grip article. That's an important part of grip.

FWIW, not being able to grip a really wide rimmed disc is a pretty common problem. Most pepole get stronger rips from narrower rimmed discs because they can get a much stronger grip.

Larger rimmed discs like the Boss are part of the reason I went to a modified 3 finger grip. I do try to keep the thumb forward as shown in the article. If I don't I often get more nose up than I want. I tend to put the thumb pressure halfway over where the inside edge of the rim meets the flight plate. That tends to give me the cleanest rip. Your mileage may vary.

Larger rimmed discs like the Boss are part of the reason I went to a modified 3 finger grip. I do try to keep the thumb forward as shown in the article. If I don't I often get more nose up than I want. I tend to put the thumb pressure halfway over where the inside edge of the rim meets the flight plate. That tends to give me the cleanest rip. Your mileage may vary.

i started w/ the 3 finger, but have recently (the last month) gotten the 4 finger to feel comfortable, and i noticed a big improvement on snap and release accuracy (and the related increase in distance!!)...my thumb on wide rimmed discs is not right over my index, but a little closer to the edge of the disc, took a little getting used to but worth it...now if i can only get my full reach back consistent, and improve my footwork, i should be able to get close to 500 eventually...

I have heard the Climo, Feldsburg and one other top pro use a four finger grip that leaves the pads of the middle and ring finger off the outside rim.

I still throw further with the power/fan hybrid grip used by Climo. Hes got a youtube vid where he shows these cats his grip. That power grip the guy in the new Discraft driving clinic "add 75 feet" didnt help. Its whatever works for ya.

I use Power grip 1 from that article with my thumb more like how it describes the neutral position; prtty much right were the thin plastic meets the rim.

After looking at those pictures, I want to really look at how my wrist sits when gripping it now. Think I might be a little off on that.

I have heard the Climo, Feldsburg and one other top pro use a four finger grip that leaves the pads of the middle and ring finger off the outside rim.
Your description confuses me, but you can watch Feldberg's youtube grip video. It's the same power grip I was trying to describe earlier. Pads of index and pinky pressed against the inside of the rim with the middle and ring fingers curled into the inside of the rim, which makes the tips of those fingers press against the inside rim instead of the pads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28ABf6csQpM