• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

4 Week Putting Cycle

ChrisWoj

Common Core Crusader
Silver level trusted reviewer
I put together a 4 week putting cycle to help out the Rocket Disc Golf club here at UToledo this winter. I figured why not share it here. So, see attached. Download, share, practice to your heart's content. Guaranteed results or your money back.

Attachments

• Rocket Putting Routine 4 Week.jpg
    Rocket Putting Routine 4 Week.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 149
I've started a new putting routine and I think it's paying off. I have 7 putters that are pretty similar that I use for my practice.

I marked off distances of 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 feet. My day one goal: 7/7 @ 10', 6/7 @ 15', 4/7 @ 20', 2/7 @ 25', and 1/7 @ 30'. I don't move out until I've completed the required # of hits and I keep track of total # of attempts to complete the circuit. My best was last night when I completed the circuit in 6 attempts (5 of 6 if you will). I know it sounds pathetic, but I've thrown several rounds of 5 or 6 of 7 at 10'. Just lack of concentration, grip not quite right, etc. Once I've mastered a given sequence, I'll move to 7/7 @ 10' & 15', 5/7 @ 20', 3/7 @ 25', 2/7 @ 30'. I'll keep increasing the number of required made throws at different distances. I want to see how far out I can push the 7/7 goal.

Just doing this a handful of times to date has improved my consistency in putting inside C1 and my confidence and consistency on all my putter throws.

I believe that working the shorter distances is an important part of my improvement

Here's a wrinkle that people generally forget to do: don't throw a bunch from the same distance consecutively. As important as muscle memory and confidence are, I think a better test is to move around every few throws. I HATE doing this, because it busts my "numbers"... But I do it because I don't often get too many same-distance putts in a row during an actual round.

I will nice you with a caveat.. It's good to bust a bunch in a row at same distance. For:

Confidence! Corrections! Consistency!

After that it's figuring out how far from the basket you are in real life and varying your routine. To add to your point though, resetting your footing is important for the "break" , pick up the next disc say from a launcher haha lawn chair a few feet away. It makes you change your stance and redo your routine. Also works if your practice swing feels wrong and you get in your head.. Step out of the "box" for a second.

For me it's stance, grip, practice swing forward, back and let'er rip!

(Thanks Chris :) )

Last edited:
Here's a wrinkle that people generally forget to do: don't throw a bunch from the same distance consecutively. As important as muscle memory and confidence are, I think a better test is to move around every few throws. I HATE doing this, because it busts my "numbers"... But I do it because I don't often get too many same-distance putts in a row during an actual round.

I think that's "next level". Not superstar, just a more advanced putting practice.

Muscle memory and consistent technique is a critical step in the process. Gotta walk before you run.

But what works for one may not be what works for everyone.

Previously id do a couple at 10, then step back a few feet and a couple more. I never developed a rhythm or consistency practicing that way.

Last Sunday I threw my best round to date and it was my putting that really made the difference. I made a few big putts I was proud of, but I also improved in outcome of putts I missed. I feel much more dialed in at 40-90 where I'm getting more consistent at getting up and down in 2 while still taking a run at it on the first throw.

I will nice you with a caveat.. It's good to bust a bunch in a row at same distance. For:

Confidence! Corrections! Consistency!

After that it's figuring out how far from the basket you are in real life and varying your routine. To add to your point though, resetting your footing is important for the "break" , pick up the next disc say from a launcher haha lawn chair a few feet away. It makes you change your stance and redo your routine. Also works if your practice swing feels wrong and you get in your head.. Step out of the "box" for a second.

For me it's stance, grip, practice swing forward, back and let'er rip!

(Thanks Chris :) )

ThrowaEnvy has it on the nose - you need both!

If you check the routine - you'll note that there are a lot of sets of C1 Rotation and C2 Rotation where you'll only putt from the same distance multiple times in a row if you're missing the shortest putt in the rotation. However - there are benefits to muscle memory that come from what is called "massed practice."

I wrote extensively about this, but the URL to the article is cut off in the screenshot I posted. Here's the URL to the article I wrote for DD back when I was sponsored by them:
http://blog.dynamicdiscs.com/2017/08/perfect-practice-makes-perfect.html
(a little long, was meant to be broken up into 3 articles)

This talks about what you mention, along with other ways to improve the way you approach practice. It cribs from literature on learning science and thought science. Specifically from the books: "make it stick: The Science of Successful Learning" by Brown Roedigger and McDaniel, "Thinking Fast, and Slow" by Kahneman, and "The Inner Game of Golf" by Gallwey.

My first month...
So I created this routine for the disc golfers at UToledo's Rocket Disc Golf sport club, and being a member of the team I went through it myself. Here are the results of my first run through. I started on December 20 and January 19, so I didn't *exactly* stick to the 5 out of every 7 days intent, but I'll admit to some weakness when its 30 degrees and rain/snow at times.

My setup...
I have 2 baskets set to 20 meters apart. My flags are set from 5-15 meters in between them, such that I can use the flags going in either direction with the middle flag at 10m from both baskets. Although the routine calls for "feet" (to make it easy on grabbing a tape measure for team measures) I chose to use my flags as I had them set out. My yard is relatively flat, but there IS a slight noticeable slope, so that in one direction I'm putting slightly downhill and in the other direction slightly uphill. I carry 5 Prime Dynamic Discs Deputies and every 5 putts I turn and putt on the opposite basket.

My results...
06m: 278/300 (92.6%)
07m: 261/300 (87.0%)
08m: 123/150 (82.0%)
09m: 59/100 (59.0%)
10m: 61/100 (61.0%)
11m: 114/250 (45.6%)
12m: 104/250 (41.6%)
13m: 33/100 (33.0%)
14m: 9/50 (18.0%)
15m: 11/50 (22.0%)

Foot by foot: 246/400 (61.5%)
This routine starts at 15' and you advance 1' deeper with every made putt.

C1 Rotation: 650/878 (74.0%)
This routine starts at 6m. Every made putt you go longer by 1m, every miss you go shorter by 1m. If you miss at 6m you stay there, if you make at 10m you rotate back to 6m.

C2 Rotation: 478/1224 (39.0%)
This routine starts at 11m. Same as C1 Rotation, but using 11m-15m.

My self-analysis...
First I will agree with the above posters who stated that you should put down your putters and reset your feet every putt. I tend to putt in sets of 5, and as a result of this I do believe my numbers are consistently hurt because as I move through each set I have a tendency to stop "sitting on" my rear foot, I get my weight out on my front foot preventing weight shift. I also missed a lot of putts due to lost focus. One of the things I need to do more of my second time through this is retain focus throughout not only the sets but the entire weeks. In the month during which I went through this routine I only played 9 holes, due to a groin injury. Midway through week 3 until the last couple of days I really lost focus. The last two days of the whole thing I reined it back in, but it was very easy to stop hitting the routine with a tournament mindset. One of the main things I need to practice is the act of being more intentional - the next four weeks need to be about that. If I can retain proper focus through all four weeks, I can certainly do it through a single tournament.

I was lucky in that despite it being midwinter I did only have a few days where the wind was really atrocious. Throughout I don't think I putted on more than a few days where temps were above 35 degrees (I putt a lot at night, got good lighting), and the ground was often a bit sloppy, but overall the conditions were decent. Hopefully I'm so lucky in the next month on the routine. Time to reboot, and regardless of weather: aim to improve on the numbers.

And hopefully by the end of it I'll be able to get out and put it to use on the course.

I think that's "next level". Not superstar, just a more advanced putting practice.

Muscle memory and consistent technique is a critical step in the process. Gotta walk before you run.

... throw.

Congrats on the hot round!

I learned a lot bombing 5-7 discs in a row (most my hand will hold). Tweak tweak to footing so there is a spot and a stance I can feel it in my butt when my legs are together enough to be balanced, and loaded, and I'm standing tall. If I miss then I tweak my feet, now I know how much to turn my body to hit at longer distances. Many times I tuck my discs in off arm behind my back, it opens more space for my putting arm.

So.... Off to the course a few years ago, I was JYLY like a fiend!!!! On the course I'm missing, checking my stance etc, finally figured out without the extra discs my off arm wasn't tucked behind my back, haha half way through figured it out. Tucked it and was nailing them again.

Last week lights out one disc (x 2 ohms) round in the yard... lights out!!! Tried again the next day.. Pooptastic, half way through I figured out I had gone back to a loose crappy grip I used 5 yrs ago, adjusted it tighter and was back to mediocre. :)

"Resetting your footwork" succinctly nails the point I was trying to make - thanks @throwaEnvy!

I also like your story directly above - and how it illustrates a point that a lot of teachers make, to replicate your on-course behaviors as much as you can while practicing. I don't hold a stack of extras when I putt on-course, so I probably shouldn't get in the habit when practicing!

The one last point to all of these different methods is to make it fun.

I am SO less likely to continue doing something that I don't enjoy, or that I don't feel like I can "beat." Even the best practice game is of little use if I don't do it enough to actually, you know, improve...

Last week lights out one disc (x 2 ohms) round in the yard... lights out!!! Tried again the next day.. Pooptastic, half way through I figured out I had gone back to a loose crappy grip I used 5 yrs ago, adjusted it tighter and was back to mediocre. :)
I do this a fair amount. I have what I'd describe as a "spitch" putt. A pitch with some wrist break. I putt best when I get my cocked before I bring the disc into my body. At times I leave the wrist un-cocked and when I go to put the disc on chains it comes out lacking velocity. My motion puts the disc "on" chains really well without the pop from inside 33 on level ground or downhill... but adding a lil uphill and by the time I get to 27 it starts to fade out early of chains. And I forget to really fix it because I'm still getting good results when I practice short sets, just with a lot of makes being absorbed into left side chains or dropping into left bucket.

It happened to me last night. Got great results from 6m (49/50) and then, aside from a 5/10 10 putt stretch went 35/40 from 7m, and then was just consistently at 4/5 from 8m.... I thought the 5/10 was mental, and blamed the 40/50 from 8m on the temps and cold fingers (28 degrees F). But then I got to the C1 Rotation (6m-10m) and started out just garbage. And I realized I wasn't really setting my wrist up.... started out 13/25 before finishing 37/45. Not ecstatic about 37/45 but the feel was much better.

Last edited:
Yup there's a lot of stuff to work into a solid routine. Putting or driving. The discs in hand and behind the back was a huge aha moment. It is a much better way for me to putt especially outside of 25', it turns my throwing shoulder into a more "loaded" position, I can easily add 15' without changing much, my back leg needs to be at about 35 degrees as well from the front foot to basket line. That's the feeling in my butt haha because my body is turned and loaded...

I also tried to get rid of my twinkle toe ballerina leg lift follow through but I gotta uncool somehow.. Haha un coil somehow.

good discussion. I am seeing improvement in my putting and upshots in general (say out to 100'). But, this morning I couldn't get my rhythm. Missed several putts I've been making in practice and on the course.

SO--the question here is how does one reset when you are in the middle of a round and only throwing one putt at each hole but you are just off a bit?

good discussion. I am seeing improvement in my putting and upshots in general (say out to 100'). But, this morning I couldn't get my rhythm. Missed several putts I've been making in practice and on the course.

SO--the question here is how does one reset when you are in the middle of a round and only throwing one putt at each hole but you are just off a bit?
I think this comes down to two things...
1. Being able to compartmentalize between the active and passive thought processes.
2. Being able to trust yourself (which really feeds into the ability to do point 1).

What I mean by compartmentalize is: if you think you're not doing something that you do in practice, you need to be able to analyze it when you're in between shots, set yourself up for success related to it when you're stepping up to the shot, and then completely let it go and focus entirely on putting the middle of the disc on the chain link thoughtlessly once you're set into your stance.

That last part is where "trust" comes in. You need to trust that the good results you expect will follow naturally from muscle memory once you've set yourself into position to succeed. The people that say "don't think, just do" are totally right. But golf affords us the opportunity to stop and set up before we turn off the thinking.

A note from today's practice: HOLY COW is that all hard to do when it is windy. We've got 15-20 gusty today. My baskets are set such that my slight downhill grade was headwind and my uphill is tailwind. And with it gusting up and down... I was really struggling to escape the active thought processes when I went to do my reps. It resulted in some baaad numbers. About 25% from 11 and 12 meters. 82% from 6 meters. Just about 20% when varying from 11-13 on my C2 rotation (advance/retreat on misses/makes). Everything about 20% below standard.

Also will note... doesn't help that my putt-rut is just that. A total rut. And everything was melting. Mudslick under the rear foot the whole time. Bad day for a ton of C2.

Your off hand behind your back? I never tried that one, the closest to it was imitating Vaïno Makela style which he brings his left hand (holding a disc most of the time) to his left hip.

Well damn thats awesome! Notice at 4 min and 6:30 how he misses?! 4 min especially bad tuck.

Now that's a dude that plays a lot of 2-3 disc golf I totally recognize that form! I don't like the chicken off arm, I do a fairly full but loose tuck. All the way around my back a little stretchy feeling but not locked and limited. Or bent elbow tight in upright, especially if I have a big handful of discs so the are more balanced.. haha.

It gives you more space for movement and a longer stroke on a spob? Putt haha. Spitch? I just use a loose pitch I guess with natural spin. I think horseshoe But round. Longer the draw the more distance without losing accuracy with a natural **** the bed throw. If you rock on your feet then 20' and in is a gimme.

If your body is moving the right way and you're close enough even a poopy shot will sink because your body is already moving. You don't have to spin it or arm it or nothing.

Last edited:
Well damn thats awesome! Notice at 4 min and 6:30 how he misses?! 4 min especially bad tuck.

Now that's a dude that plays a lot of 2-3 disc golf I totally recognize that form! I don't like the chicken off arm, I do a fairly full but loose tuck. All the way around my back a little stretchy feeling but not locked and limited.
I have a practice basket indoor and I'm always practicing and trying new things but I didn't have much success with Vaïno form. When my putting gets bad most of the time it's because I'm getting stiff and too mechanical so I guess the tucking doesn't help me. Today I'll try with a loose tuck off hand behind my back to see but right now my putting is almost the opposite, I keep my left hand in front of me like some kind of Sith Lord trying to force lightning the basket.

My putting always has been decent but I never stopped trying to improve it, trying new grips, new stances, sometimes just subtle changes like my where I put my index, or do I tuck my little finger tip to the rim or not, etc...

I think this comes down to two things...
1. Being able to compartmentalize between the active and passive thought processes.
2. Being able to trust yourself (which really feeds into the ability to do point 1).

What I mean by compartmentalize is: if you think you're not doing something that you do in practice, you need to be able to analyze it when you're in between shots, set yourself up for success related to it when you're stepping up to the shot, and then completely let it go and focus entirely on putting the middle of the disc on the chain link thoughtlessly once you're set into your stance.

That last part is where "trust" comes in. You need to trust that the good results you expect will follow naturally from muscle memory once you've set yourself into position to succeed. The people that say "don't think, just do" are totally right. But golf affords us the opportunity to stop and set up before we turn off the thinking.

A note from today's practice: HOLY COW is that all hard to do when it is windy. We've got 15-20 gusty today. My baskets are set such that my slight downhill grade was headwind and my uphill is tailwind. And with it gusting up and down... I was really struggling to escape the active thought processes when I went to do my reps. It resulted in some baaad numbers. About 25% from 11 and 12 meters. 82% from 6 meters. Just about 20% when varying from 11-13 on my C2 rotation (advance/retreat on misses/makes). Everything about 20% below standard.

Also will note... doesn't help that my putt-rut is just that. A total rut. And everything was melting. Mudslick under the rear foot the whole time. Bad day for a ton of C2.

Kind of funny. I played scramble yesterday morning--wind wasn't blowing, but I struggled with my putts as mentioned above.

Later in the day, I went out to do some putting practice to try to get back on track and the wind was gusting. I was screwed. My numbers were horrible. It's a real mental beating.

I'll get back on track. Just got to stay on it.

I have a practice basket indoor and I'm always practicing and trying new things but I didn't have much success with Vaïno form. When my putting gets bad most of the time it's because I'm getting stiff and too mechanical so I guess the tucking doesn't help me. Today I'll try with a loose tuck off hand behind my back to see but right now my putting is almost the opposite, I keep my left hand in front of me like some kind of Sith Lord trying to force lightning the basket.

My putting always has been decent but I never stopped trying to improve it, trying new grips, new stances, sometimes just subtle changes like my where I put my index, or do I tuck my little finger tip to the rim or not, etc...

For me it's a very smooth release... cock your hand just a little on the reach but plan releasing hand in front of disc and focus on a long straight stroke kind of a turned or forward facing Beato motion. It's all about getting my loos arm out of the way of course if that's the only person you seen do that then I'm probably just making my own freak pcutting Style

It's all about getting my loos arm out of the way of course if that's the only person you seen do that then I'm probably just making my own freak pcutting Style
I've just tried it and I could make it works I think but I'm not sure it would be better than my current form. Having my left arm in front and following my movements helps me to stay in sync with my weight shift and keep it smooth but having it behind my back seems to achieve the same thing or at least better than just having it hanging. Anyway in the end, my off arm placement isn't the most important thing I think.

I'll try it more once I get out and see if it makes any difference for longer putts, my indoor setup is cramped and I can't practice putt longer than 25'. As for the freak style, I play with gloves since last spring, even for putting so I already look weird and right now I'm trying a grip that is kind of weird too, I'll see if I stick to it or come back to my more normal grip.

Cool man, yeah it was something that developed for me to hit longer putts without changing my style. I just found I didn't have enough space to get my arm back far enough to get a good oomph. I can do up to about 40'-50' that way. After that it looks like a Beato drive, in slow motion.

Latest posts