• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

4 Week Putting Cycle

Four more days in, and another 1000 putts. One more day left this week, up to 3134 total constructive putts these first three weeks so far.

Today I had my best C2 Rotation. Moving up and down from 11m to 15m it took me until today to finally break through and make the 15m putt, and it took me hanging out for what felt like forever making the 13m putt over and over and just not being able to follow it up with both the 14m and 15m to get through the top of the rotation. But I did it twice! And hanging out in that 13-15 range for a while is definite progress. Overall I made 50 putts out of 97, was at 48/90 and had a slow finish. Wind was light. Not too chilly. Just a great day to putt.

Other bits from today....
Started with the C1 rotation, weak beginning 18/35 as I got rolling, but finished it 32/37.
And finished with 50 11m putts and kinda lost my mental focus during the set, weak outcome at 27/50 considering how good I did between 11m-15m just before.

Have to retain focus for the entire routine!
50 out of 97 at 13-15 meters is great! I am trying to move my average at 30 feet from about 35% up to over 50%. I would love 50 out of 97 at 30 feet, much less 13-15 meters.

50 out of 97 at 13-15 meters is great! I am trying to move my average at 30 feet from about 35% up to over 50%. I would love 50 out of 97 at 30 feet, much less 13-15 meters.
It was 11-15, I just hung out in that routine a bunch from 13-15. Woulda definitely been much worse without the shortest jumpers!

And keep in mind I'm a solid jump putter, so I am better from 35 feet than I am from 30.

Three more days of work left in my four week journey. I'm eager to see what my routine looks like by the numbers compared to 2021... I was putting regularly then, if with less structure. I haven't done the work in so long, this fresh start will be a way different beast to examine.

Had a great night last night, though. The numbers weren't stellar with a consistent wind direction giving me a headwind to the slight uphill basket and a tailwind to the slight downhill basket. The tailwind numbers didn't really make up for the headwind numbers. But it was still great because over the weekend and during the routine the day before I felt like my footwork on jumpers was very clumsy. Last night was why daily work is great: I was scheduled for the C2 Rotation set, and I used it to identify the footwork issue and bring everything back into balance.

It took me 122 putts to get through the C2 Rotation (make 50), my best this winter has been 97 total putts. On a typical calm day more like 105-110 recently. The wind was an effect of 21/62 headwind, 29/60 tailwind.

Here's a question, when practicing do you normally jump putt 33 footers or standstill? That's assuming you normally jump putt whenever you can out on the course.

Here's a question, when practicing do you normally jump putt 33 footers or standstill? That's assuming you normally jump putt whenever you can out on the course.
If you want a serious answer on this, you should do everything you can to learn NOT to jump putt.

The idea that you should need it at 10 meters is hilarious.

I don't jump putt, but same idea - at what point do I change my stance and my putt because I need more power? Answer: playing 10-11 months now, and the distance I can do my regular spin putt from seems like it has grown the longer I play, and the better I get. A good, strong wrist flick is crucial for my spin putt to be accurate from as far out as possible. Right now, my regular spin putt is my best chance at 30', and I think at 35', and maybe even starting to be at 40'. When my forward facing, feet front to back, spin putt starts coming up short, I go to a sideways stance, allowing me to reach back further, but the added power comes with the expense that my side to side accuracy drops off some. Also, I feel like that distance may still continue to grow a little more, but only time will tell. Also, I prefer to start my spin putt at about my chest, but at 30-40', I have to inch it back a little further, and past that, then I turn to sideways stance. All of this is still a work in progress, as I only started seeing real improvements in my 35-40' putts recently. For reference, my efforts lately have been on trying to raise my make percentage at 30' from about 35%, to 50% plus. I am noticing progress here, but slowly. Also, my 20' putts are getting to where I make 80-90% (no wind) - I fully expect to make my putt at 20'. Progress!!!

Yeah, that's not answering the question. I can standstill putt up to about 80' with accuracy, but if my average score from a certain distance is better with a jumper than a standstill then that's what I'm gonna do in a tournament.

I was mostly curious what Woj does in practice because he said he's better from 35' than 30'.

Jump putting is stupid.

The idea that there is an accuracy advantage to it is even more hilarious. You're flailing your body at the basket in a fashion that is pretty much against the rules winging the disc hoping it goes in.
Does it give you some extra umpf? sure. But you're also usually putting like 4 or 5 feet closer while jump putting cause you're jumping at the target then throwing the disc 95% of the time. Rarely does anyone ever not foot fault while jump putting.

So a lot of misses from people who think jump putting is better is because their putting form doesn't actually have the umpf to putt from that far away. And they like/rely on jump putting to get that distance, So they don't practice stand still 40 footers. so their standstill 40 footers are really low percentage.
But.. I honestly will tell you, A players jump putting percentage is just as garbage. It just feels like you're doing better with them.

That's really the simplicity of it.

Stepp putting in its current form is sketch AF too. Cause it should be putt than step, not step than putt. But they are stepping like 3 or 4 foot passed their disc before putting, and usually foot faulting. Vs following through the putt with a step because of extra forward momentum.

And I get it. It feels good to jump putt a 60 footer and it to go in. But even the pro's are missing like 8 out of 10 of those.

Not meaning that to be rude and what not.

Just that jump putting is like a crutch for so many out there the way its talked about.

Latest posts