• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

50-60ft away from basket?

jmgdiscgolf

Par Member
What do you do when you're 50 to 60 feet away from the basket? Standstill,jump putt,layup,etc.? Do you use your inside the circle putter or a different disc?

I usually run those on flat ground. I'm a decent enough putter to have favorable odds making my comeback putt. If you don't practice it during casual rounds you'll never make those when it counts. My foot might be carried over by the momentum of my body, but I don't really ever jump when putting. I might layup if it's a death putt during an event. I use the grippier on my two putters for those long ones.

I'm not able to do a proper putt from 50 to 60 feet out so what I do is kind of an underhand sling, for lack of a better term. I'm pretty much in my spin putter stance with my putter (or sometimes a Flick) but do about a 3/4 back swing with a follow through. Depending on the distance I figure in a hyzer path. Lately I've been able to put it under the basket consistently.

Last edited:
Usually from 100ft and in, I putt, don't even jump putt, just putt. Assuming wide open path to the basket, otherwise might give a soft touch shot with a Ghost, ideally FH.

Normally this is in my jump putt range. Depending on the green I could run it, I could make a safe run with a higher loft putt or I could lay up under the basket.

I think my standstill throwing range would start from 70-80ft.

Normal putt unless there is a steep slope or water on the other side of the basket then I will lay up. I never jump putt, it feels awkward to me.

I'd use my normal putt but I'll aim higher and to the right to allow for some fade and lack of power at that distance. Any further and I'll use my normal putt but allow my momentum to lean into it and step/fall through, no jumping for me unless I'm trying to drop it off in there like a jump shot with little blow-by. Any comeback out to 20-25' is money in the bank, so I only think about hitting that link I'm aiming at.

I have been working on the "uli" step putt, it has been working so well that I have been using it from around the 100' mark.

Jump putt with a classic Judge. If it is a fast green I will give it a half go, just looking to avoid the high numbers.

What do you do when you're 50 to 60 feet away from the basket? Standstill,jump putt,layup,etc.? Do you use your inside the circle putter or a different disc?

I do something different than the next guy/girl.
Do whatever is most comfortable and gives you the best chance at making the shot.

Tis a putt. I don't jump putt, never made much sense to add a bunch of variables to my putt. I am sure it works for some (never really have seen many) but I really focus on the playing catch concept outside the circle. With enough practice, I concentrate on a link of chain and rely on technique inside the circle. Outside I envision someone standing there playing catch with me.

Out to 70ft, I just putt. If I have room to run it, I use a Yeti, if it's a death putt and I need it to drop close, I use a Whale. I don't jump putt, just never worked for me.

Now the real problem for me is that 70-120ft range!

I'll putt but throw it a bit higher than normal so that if I miss it won't blow by much.

Usually will throw my slightly lighter putter too.

Jump putt. I switch my grip a little bit too. For normal putts I have all fingers fanned out, for long jump putts I have my ring and pinky finger curled under (like a partial power grip). The further out I go, the more hyzer I release with. Once I get out to the 70-80' range I switch to a nose-up lid-style shot, like playing catch with a frisbee.