• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

75' - 100' range

elkevo

Par Member
I was out at the course today and had a shot that I think was somewhere in the 75' - 100' range. I was torn between a hella long jump put or a mellow approach shot. What do y'all typically do at this range - straight shot, no obstacles?

Depends on the elevation and how I'm feeling that day but typically I will jump putt. I would rather come up a little short with my lay up than fly by the basket and have a testy comebacker.

What shot are you most comfortable with? What shot leaves you with the best outcome if you miss?

At this distance, I'll typically throw my putter on a little nose-up anny and try to get lucky with the chains. If I miss, it will leave no more than a 10' drop-in putt...

I use a Latitude 64 Bite for this shot ... I can throw it the same as a putter, but get a little bit more glide for that extra distance.

Understand I'm a noob, so take any advice i give with a grain of salt.

Assuming there's no chance of a terrible rollaway if I miss, I go for it. There's no reason NOT to, IMO. Jump putt and miss? Extraordinarily likely to be within easy putt next time. Try to lay up? Same thing, but with no chance of saving a stroke.

Jump putt on the low end, once I get close to 100 I would be doing a one step throw with a fan grip.

I throw an approach at the pin from that length. I suck at putting and don't want a fly by from the approach, so I just get it close.

Nose up Polecat stall.
Proxy laser.
Spike a Firebird.

All depends on the Lie, green, etc. Polecat stall is my favorite.

This is an interesting range for me personally. 100ft is definitely an approach shot. But 60-90ft always causes me to take a step back and evaluate if I go for it or not. I've seen some players from this range throw what I call a "parachute putt" where the disc is thrown nose up, slightly higher than usual, with the player trying to make the disc gently land in the basket or at the least, right next to the basket without rolling away. I usually try a similar shot, but on a hyzer which causes a roll sometimes. I'm working on throwing a slight anny/flex putt from this distance which keeps the disc on a straighter line to the basket which seems to minimize roll aways.

100 feet for me is a fan grip upshot with a Harp, inside that I will jump putt, trying to keep the disc flat so no rollaway, not really trying to make it but hoping. Around 60-70 feet is when I really try to run everything unless the penalty for missing is really severe.

I threw an approach, with less than spectacular results, that left me wide and with a long putt that I missed off the front rim.

Oh well, must work on approaches and jump putts...

i will likely use a step thru putt type of throw whether i am laying up or not at these distances

If it's in that range where I am probably getting a 2, CANNOT turn it into a 3, and it's a bonus to get it in 1, then it's a step/jump lofty putt so that it settles down within 10-15' for a guaranteed tap in.

If it's in the farther end of that range where there's such a tiny chance of me sinking it and I'd be straining my step putt, then I'll aim at the ground and lay up (often with a putter FH). If you are laying up, decide on that and follow the plan. Aim where you want to hit the ground, don't just look at the basket and try to get it "close to the basket". That's a recipe for babying it in the air and fading/stalling out, or other things.

Also, if you decide on an approach shot, just because it's open straight doesn't mean you shouldn't hyzer it in a bit to help your range if that is comfortable for you.

Really in this range it's all about comfort. So experiment with all the options and figure out what is consistent for you. Just never more 3's than 1's.

I would practice getting a jump or step through putt to the basket at that distance. it will save you a bunch of strokes in the long run if you can put it to the pin from that distance without having to put a real throw on it.

Nice soft easy straight flat Comet right at the basket. Don't care if I miss because when I do make it, it's so sweet.

I'm not as interested in scoring well as I am in making shots.

Latest posts