• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

a disc trip gone awry

Huff

Birdie Member
(possibly more amusing to the people from the Worcester area or have played Mapple Hill)

This past weekend I had tickets to see the Dead play in Worcester Mass on the 18th and 19th. The plan was to hopefully hit the Mapple Hill course on the day of the 18th and the private one next to it on the 19th.

Due to a death in my family I ended up selling my tickets for the 18th, as the funeral was that day. I had planned to sell the 19ths as well until my sister talked me into still going. So late afternoon on Sunday my friends and I cruised to Worcester just in time and made the show. After a couple short hours of sleep I got up early yesterday intending to still fit in Mapple before we checked out at noon and headed home. I was determined to get Mapple in in fact.

so at 9 am we leave the Marriot (near the DCU center). Trusty DGCR says the course is only 6ish miles away. My buddy who was going with me had his phone with web access as well as map quest directions at his disposal as Navigator. The result was we arrived safely in the Mapple Hill Parking lot 45 miles later (and now 10:15) . lol. During our time driving in circles we also had failed to stop and purchase any beverages for the round.

The beautiful weather from the previous day was gone. Clouds had rolled in and the wind was gusting pretty hard at times. I stepped up to tee 1 and let my Valk rip down the fairway and over the pond toward the basket.....A nice tight S the looks like it make even fly long..... just in time for a head on gust to hit the tail end of the drive and drop me into the pond about 60% of the way over it. Yay....

But wait! There's a boat! I prefer Ninjas to Pirates, but I'm not scared. So I grap a conveniently near by fishing net and jump in this paddle boat thing (which looks to be mostly sea worthy lol) and shove off from shore to retrieve my Valk, only to discover that the paddles dont work on the paddle boat. So I begin to use the fishing net as an oar (which as you may imagine is NOT the fastest way to move a craft across water) and began to make my way out into the pond. Each time the wind would gust it would start blowing me and the boat back towards shore, as I would frantically paddle with the net to try and stay put. I cant imagine the how I must have looked lol. But eventually I make it out safe and dry with my Valk back in hand.

So now its 10:45. We need to be checked out by 12. We've just finished hole 1 of a course that is, from what all signs indicate a somewhat lengthy one, and due to my boating trip that hole took 30 minutes. The 6 mile trip back to the hotel had the potential to be all screwed up by us again. We have little time, people waiting on us, no water, and the weather is so so with a mix of really friggen windy.

So we did what I think any DGCRer would do.... We literally ran the course:D

Well.... a combo of running, jogging and walking. Theres some nasty hills there.

By 11:50 we were back in the parking lot and heading out.

We didnt shoot that great (I hate to say I was 14 over by the end; we played the white tees). And we didnt get to stop and chat with (or even help) any of the folks we saw out on a workday. It was a crazy rushed round, but I got to see and play a very beautiful course and had a crazy little disc golf adventure. Hopefully next time I make it that way there will be a little less adventure and more golf lol

I once went in some nasty swamp to get a disc I really loved. I searched for around 30 minutes and gave up because the smell was killing me. I never found the disc.

Was it worth it?

NO.

Great story! Having lived in that area and played the course it makes it even better.

I dropped a Starfire in about the same spot in the pond. Pete Johnson (RI) returned it to me in person 9 months later.

HaHa love it....I have done the same thing often especially in winter when running out of daylight and at a foreign course. I am impressed you still kept score.

were any of the DCGRers there involved in that 4 or 5 man work crew that watched us tee hole 4?

Good story man! Takes me back...:)

I did use the boat before (couple years ago...) and there's no paddle as you stated too. So, I use the long stick to push the boat around and use the rope to tow back to the shore.

Don't know if the rope is still attached to the boat nowadays because I haven't been there in a long while! But it should be a long stick laying around near boat, is there?

Glad you got your disc back and able to grab a quick look-a-round the course and sorry for your loss in your family.

Glad you got the round in but FYI...hotels allow you to call for a late check out that will give you until 1.00 or 1.30. As long as they aren't book checking people in and needing the room ASAP the hotels will accommodate your request.

Glad you got the round in but FYI...hotels allow you to call for a late check out that will give you until 1.00 or 1.30. As long as they aren't book checking people in and needing the room ASAP the hotels will accommodate your request.

True, but I wouldnt have felt ok with doing that to the 7 other people who would have been waiting on us to start the 4 hour ride home.

Good story man! Takes me back...:)

I did use the boat before (couple years ago...) and there's no paddle as you stated too. So, I use the long stick to push the boat around and use the rope to tow back to the shore.

Don't know if the rope is still attached to the boat nowadays because I haven't been there in a long while! But it should be a long stick laying around near boat, is there?

Glad you got your disc back and able to grab a quick look-a-round the course and sorry for your loss in your family.

nope lol, no rope anymore. I actually had to stand up in the boat to locate the disk and tried the Poleman method but wasnt really ending up where I wanted to be. I ever grabbed the rudder @ one point and was jackin that little this back and forth. It worked till the wind blew again and my little me powered motor wasnt keeping up.

Definitely the most comical start to a round I've ever had.

It's too bad you had to rush, but atleast you got to play. I hate haveing to rush through a course I've never played. It's like eating a really good piece of cake, I want to eat it slow and enjoy it.

It was incredible. In hind site I'm so glad my sister convinced me to still go. They pulled out alot of older stuff that I wasnt expecting to hear.

Set 1:

Here Comes Sunshine
Good Morning Little Schoolgirl
Alligator
Deal
Hell in a Bucket
Cream Puff War
Good Lovin'

Set 2:

Scarlet Begonias
Fire On The Mountain
Rhythm Devils
Space
Satisfaction
Born Cross-Eyed
Slipknot!
Let It Grow
Uncle Johns Band
The Wheel
Lovelight

Encore:

Samson and Delilah

They band sounded great and Warren did awesome. I couldnt have been much more impressed actually.

Plus you can get a 3 cd set of the show you go to there. Dont order it!!! You'll be stuck in a long line after the show to pick it up. Just wait and order it from the site a couple days later lol.

That is a great story. And as this is my home course, I am sorry the paddle boat was broken. It was apparently broken on Saturday or late last week. (someone broke the drive shaft somehow) There should be two shiny new paddles next to the boat during your next trip to Maple Hill.

Other than the first half hour of your time at Maple, how did you like the course?

That is a great story. And as this is my home course, I am sorry the paddle boat was broken. It was apparently broken on Saturday or late last week. (someone broke the drive shaft somehow) There should be two shiny new paddles next to the boat during your next trip to Maple Hill.

Other than the first half hour of your time at Maple, how did you like the course?

woot! glad to hear future boatmen will have oars lol.

The entire time (including the 1st 30 min) was a blast. We have courses here with water hazards, but your home course is the 1st I've played where they were so dominant. They are an occasional hazard for us where there the water itself more or less defined the course in alot of places. I cant imagine the amount of plastic thats fished out of those ponds, streams, lakes each year lol.

But what a great piece of land to put a course on. I really have NO complaints (other than the blow down damage which i dont fault the owners or the course for, and its being worked on)

You're lucky to have such a long and beautiful course as your home one:)