• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A few days with Nikko...

That was a great story and all, but what did his hair look like?

Back at the first of the year, he cut it short. Since then, I don't think he's been hit in the butt by the door at the barber shop. LOL

In the pool and billiard culture, we have an old saying, "Show me a gracious loser and I'll show you a loser.". Nikko's attitude irritates some people with his tantrums on the course sometimes. This kid has a killer instinct and he absolutely hates to lose. He pursues perfection in his game and expects nothing less. He just turned 21 in September and as he matures, I think we'll see a lot less of this type of behavior in the future. In the short time I've known him, I've already seen a big change in his attitude. I'm not defending his tirades, just giving an explanation.

This young man's work ethic is unmatched. For example, I have a basket in my backyard. Yesterday morning, he went out back to practice his putting. I watched him for about 1/2 an hour and then joined in for an hour. I quit after an hour. He continued on for another hour without stopping. When we got home from the course after dark, I turned on the lights out back and he practiced another hour and 1/2. This was after playing 30+ holes in the afternoon.

It all gets down to how bad you want it and this young man WANTS it bad.

Woodpecker

I watched him play against Avery in an A-tier event in Colorado. Nikko ended up getting 2nd by 1 stroke and I told my friend that he is the next generation of disc golf, who knew that was starting this year.

not only is he a whiny lil baby, if he is the next generation of golfer, he must litter, steal others plastic, and be more of a DB than he appears to be on film. ;)

Last edited:
I thought course records only count if you get it during a tournament, cause... you know... the other day I shot a 46 at Circle C.

This is true. My understanding is they only count during tourney play. Hell, I've shot a -5 at McClain on a casual round. During a tourney, that would turn into a +5, real quick. LOL

My point wasn't that he shattered the course record. I just got to witness an absolutely phenomenal round of disc golf. Just wish I'd had a video camera with me.

Woodpecker

I'm playing in a tournament that he will be playing in on Sunday (11/8). I'm excited to meet Nikko. He seems like a pretty emotional guy which I believe is typical for a guy his age. I'm excited to meet him to see what he's like in real life.
I disagree. Paul McBeth plays our course, at least, once a year. He's a level-headed kid.

not only is he a whiny lil baby, if he is the next generation of golfer, he must litter, steal others plastic, and be more of a DB than he appears to be on film. ;)

Gee, 80, tell us what you really think! How's the view up there from the cheap seats?

That's one of the problems in life. Some people take their own personal flaws, such as littering, stealing other's plastic, and being a DB , and equate them to everyone around them.

Me, I like to think I take the high road and not resort to petty things like name calling, (i. e. whiny lil baby). I just hope when you get home, your mother runs out from under the porch and bites you on the leg. See, I'd never call you a SOB. I always take the high road. LOL

Just kidding, bud. You took your shot and I took mine. LOL

Don't Hate, Bro. This kid's living a dream most on this website would kill for. If I was 30 yrs. younger, I'd be right out there with him.

Woodpecker < has popcorn ready, eyes glued to the monitor, in anticipation of the coming flame war.

You get the eye roll because of the attitude. I hear he is a good guy off the course. It is the drastic difference between Niko & McBeth. They are close to the same age but McBeth keeps his cool. The fire that makes Niko such a good competitive golfer is also what makes people dislike him.
My wife was hanging out with them before worlds this year. Her and Niko tried to sign up for mixed doubles but they were too late. I think she still gets random text messages from Paul.

My personal feelings on him. He isn't my favorite pro but I wish him well. As a person, I don't know the guy and don't want to judge him on his antics on the course.

Gee, 80, tell us what you really think! How's the view up there from the cheap seats?

That's one of the problems in life. Some people take their own personal flaws, such as littering, stealing other's plastic, and being a DB , and equate them to everyone around them.

Me, I like to think I take the high road and not resort to petty things like name calling, (i. e. whiny lil baby). I just hope when you get home, your mother runs out from under the porch and bites you on the leg. See, I'd never call you a SOB. I always take the high road. LOL

Just kidding, bud. You took your shot and I took mine. LOL

Don't Hate, Bro. This kid's living a dream most on this website would kill for. If I was 30 yrs. younger, I'd be right out there with him.

Woodpecker < has popcorn ready, eyes glued to the monitor, in anticipation of the coming flame war.

i have watched the afro king kick his bag, whine while hands on hips constantly...if this is the future of disc golf..companies with money will not be interested..you can go to a nursery to see crying babies, noone wants to see it on a disc golf course

i have watched the afro king kick his bag, whine while hands on hips constantly...if this is the future of disc golf..companies with money will not be interested..you can go to a nursery to see crying babies, noone wants to see it on a disc golf course
Who knows? John McEnroe kept his job. The tantrums were the best part.

john-mcenroe-420-420x0.jpg

Maybe it's the hair that contains the anger.

I followed him non-stop for the last few rounds of the USDGC. I waited for the tantrums and explosions. Nothing. Acted like a pro every moment.
I've never been a fan, but I was impressed.
You have to give him some credit and let the boy grow up.

I don't think anyone is above the occasional outburst. I heard Barry Schultz yell obscenities at my home course after a poor shot and didn't think any less of him. I even had the gall to tell him "Nice shot, Barry."

Shameless name dropper.

I don't know, it's worked for Tiger Woods.

I have nothing against Nikko. You can't deny the kid's got talent. I just really wish he would mature. I do not think LeBron James is amazing or anything, but when he was thrust into the limelight at a young age, he handled it pretty well. I only wish Nikko would realize that he isn't perfect, and let bad shots go. People can have as much drive as he has, but when they get into a view of reality where they expect perfection, that drive will only get them more frustration.

I have nothing against Nikko. You can't deny the kid's got talent. I just really wish he would mature. I do not think LeBron James is amazing or anything, but when he was thrust into the limelight at a young age, he handled it pretty well. I only wish Nikko would realize that he isn't perfect, and let bad shots go. People can have as much drive as he has, but when they get into a view of reality where they expect perfection, that drive will only get them more frustration.

well put..i am just thinking on the lines of what most golfers are thinking.."man i wish we could get more money and more exposure for this great sport.."..it will never happen with all the labels placed on golfers..anyone know about what happened in florida and why they don't have the players cup anymore?..i do, and that is one of many things that will keep disc golf on the down low

basically a bunch of partying, smoking weed, and raising hell in the golf carts to my knowledge. if you know more specifics than that pm them to me and name names.

The side of the story I heard was the Innova guy who trashed his hotel room didn't care because it was a Discraft event. I also understand that the hotel that hosted it had changed hands and they were looking for a way to break the contract anyway. Put the two togehter and no more players cup.

i "heard" lots of things as well, so commenting on rumors is kinda lame..it basically boils down to lots of labels placed on us and a tough road for anyone trying to promote the sport

Latest posts