• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A few days with Nikko...

while we are name dropping. I played with Avery last week while he was in DFW for the Veterans Park Open. The DD crew stayed at my house early this year and one of the guys that was with them is now touring around with Avery. I saw them at Lake Lewisville park so went and hit them up.

i "heard" lots of things as well, so commenting on rumors is kinda lame..it basically boils down to lots of labels placed on us and a tough road for anyone trying to promote the sport

I agree on the lameness, that is why I left out the name I was given.
As far as promoting the sport issues. It sucks, but when the pdga marketing director makes national headlines for something other than disc golf, well, it is just kind of a joke on all fronts. players, venues and officials.

Odds are I will never be on his card!

Why do so many hate this kid....seems his name draws a lot of eye rolls?

I heard at the last tourney I was in that his grandmother was supposed to pay for him to attend UCLA, but he used the money to tour and play disc golf. I'm not sure if it's true, it's just hearsay, but that's pretty messed up of it's true.

from what i hear he (nikko) is a bit of a cry baby. kicking his bag, throwing fits. i know he is very competitive but come on do that stuff somewhere else.

I heard at the last tourney I was in that his grandmother was supposed to pay for him to attend UCLA, but he used the money to tour and play disc golf. I'm not sure if it's true, it's just hearsay, but that's pretty messed up of it's true.

eh, if hes doing what he loves and makes money then ya cant blame him, what is college gonna do for ya?

Haha thats hilarious! The dude made 15grand from the USDGC no? i bet his grandma is stocked with the return on thier investment?

Never met the guy, probably never will, sounds like a legend though, why should he be what people want him to be, and not himself.

I also heard that he eats his own bogies, and has 3 nipples.....

Play on his card sometime. You figure it out pretty quickly.

bullseye.

i harbor malcontent towards him for the same reason everyone else does; he's better than you and he's younger than you.

that said, met him once at the st. louis open and he seemed cool. if given the chance, i'd play a round with him and ask him for pointers.

his uncle, Dave McCormick (owner of gateway disc sports, as mentioned above) is a superbly cool guy as well.

He sounds like the Kobe of disc golf. And I'm pretty sure disc golf bags were made to be kicked anyway, why else would they make them so tough?

bullseye.

i harbor malcontent towards him for the same reason everyone else does; he's better than you and he's younger than you.

that said, met him once at the st. louis open and he seemed cool. if given the chance, i'd play a round with him and ask him for pointers.

his uncle, Dave McCormick (owner of gateway disc sports, as mentioned above) is a superbly cool guy as well.
Oh wow. I didn't know that Dave was his uncle. He really hooked us up for our tournament schwag.

my thoughts

1. Nikko is proof that the future of disc golf is bright. Sure, hes emotional, but you would be too if you put as much work into disc golf as he did. Young disc golfers with his work ethic AND talent?

2. Nikko plays with a mixed bag. OK, its a Destroyer, Wraith, a Buzzz, and the rest is Gateway... that is HUGE for the sport. This isnt a hack on Innova or Discraft, they've done enough for the sport. But they cannot push Disc Golf on their own, Disc Golf cannot rely on just them. Perhaps the future will be not an Innova, Discraft, or Gateway Team, but perhaps there will be teams of mixed bag players like Keen, or Vibram... pretty much the direction that Dynamic Discs and Huk Lab have been going.

Nikko is just like all of us. He has a passion for the game and just loves to throw plastic.

Nikko is just like all of us? I don't see a lot of people kicking bags, throwing temper tantrums and screaming curse words.

The good thing for Nikko is that he is not alone. We have pro's on the NT that do the exact same type of stuff. There is no reason to try to justify their behavior, because there is no excuse. It's about having respect for the people around you, and unfortunately, some people have none at all.

We have pro's on the NT that do the exact same type of stuff. There is no reason to try to justify their behavior, because there is no excuse.

Agreed. Because someone has a drive to win is no reason to throw a temper-tantrum.

But again, the kid has massive talent. If i had that kind of time on my hands and no other goals in life, I'd play as much as he did.

Nikko is just like all of us? I don't see a lot of people kicking bags, throwing temper tantrums and screaming curse words.

The good thing for Nikko is that he is not alone. We have pro's on the NT that do the exact same type of stuff. There is no reason to try to justify their behavior, because there is no excuse. It's about having respect for the people around you, and unfortunately, some people have none at all.

maybe you need to read the last sentence over and over...maybe look up the word respect, and pass it on to a few others..

Latest posts